PDA

View Full Version : A sad couple of weeks

Coldkiwi
29th April 2003, 12:22
First it was Barry Sheene passing away after his battle with cancer a few weeks ago.

Then late last week Diajiro Kato (Hondo rider in MotoGP) also died in hospital more than a week after his crash at the Suzuka GP. Sete Gibernau dedicated his win in Welkom to his team mate following a minute's silence at the start of the race.

And now we hear news that Possum Bournes family have decided to turn off his lift support following his crash at Queenstown shortly after Kato's accident. A huge loss for New Zealand motorsport and the general public. A very likable and humble guy who will be sadly missed by all. The biggest sporting tragedy for our country since Sir Peter Blake was killed.

May they rest in peace.

merv
29th April 2003, 12:44
Yeah what can we say about Possum that hasn't been said as he was a great guy. This is a tragedy up there with when Roger Freeth was killed when competing in Australia with Possum.

Kwaka-Kid
29th April 2003, 19:39
yes very sad :(

and whilst we bring up the name roger freeth, anyone remember his racebike with an aerofoil like a car? it was banned on the track as apparently it worked so well :S or at least thats what i remember hearing from the grapvine

merv
29th April 2003, 21:27
I never saw Roger race it but saw the odd pic. As far as I remember it was a Kawasaki triple back in the days when 2-strokes were it and before he really got going with the big Suzuki 4-strokes.

Coldkiwi
30th April 2003, 12:26
<SPAN class=copy>30.04.2003
</SPAN><SPAN class=copy>7.10am New Zealand motorsport icon Peter Raymond George "Possum" Bourne, whose motor rallying exploits and engaging personality made him a household name died at 12.58am today. Bourne, New Zealand's only professional rally driver, was critically injured in a car crash on April 18 and had been in a drug-induced coma since undergoing surgery for severe head, chest and leg injuries. "It is with deep sadness that we announce Possum Bourne passed away peacefully at 12.58am on Wednesday, April 30, at Dunedin Hospital," his family said in a statement. Another statement would be made on behalf of the family at 11.today. On Monday his family decided that life support systems would be gradually decreased as the brain injury Bourne suffered was severe and continuing "full life support is no longer in Possum's best interests". Bourne, 47, who became the public face of New Zealand rallying, was born in 1956 in Pukekohe and was originally named Peter, but acquired his nickname as a result of a teenage driving indiscretion. He rolled his mother's car when avoiding a possum on the way back from a mechanic's course in Auckland. A member of New Zealand Motorport's Wall of Fame Bourne began his rallying career in 1979, driving a Mark 1 Cortina with a V8 engine in which he gained 3rd placing in the first rally he entered. The result inspired him to become a professional rally driver and by 1983 he had attracted the attention of Japanese car manufacturer Subaru who backed his New Zealand rally campaigns. Further strong results followed and encouraged Subaru in 1986 to back him in rally events in Australia. Asia, Africa, the United Sates and Great Britain. By the mid-1990s Bourne had established himself as the most successful rally driver in the southern hemisphere, a position he cemented with a string of successes right up until his death. But these successes were achieved at a cost. In 1993 Bourne was driving when long time co-driver, friend and business partner Rodger Freeth was killed in a spectacular accident on the first day of the World Championship round in Australia. Devastated by the tragedy Bourne continued driving, dedicating the 1993 Asia Pacific Championship he subsequently won to his dead friend. A seven-time Australian rally champion, Bourne was New Zealand Champion in 1991 and Asia Pacific Champion in 1993, 1994 and 2000. This year Bourne achieved a long held ambition to drive on the world rally circuit. It was a belated reward for a driver who had frequently taken on the world's best in New Zealand and Australia in inferior machinery and outperformed many of them. He came fourth in the first round in Sweden in February, although he had never competed on snow before. Despite his failure to finish in the New Zealand round of championship earlier this month, Bourne was in seventh place in the championship. Interviewed last year after winning his seventh consecutive Australian championship, Bourne was asked whether he would try for another? "Yes. I'm doing what I like doing. The trouble is that in a materialistic world people seem to think when you've done it once why would you do it again," he said. "They fail to understand the reason you do it is not for the results, but because we're doing what we want to do and we've worked damn hard to put together the best team in this part of the world. "The only hard thing is the time away from home. I have fantastic support from Peggy and the three kids. They hate seeing me go and when I ring up they ask whether I've won the rally yet. They don't expect anything but wins." </SPAN>

bluninja
30th April 2003, 13:37
Some amazingly inspirational words there from the late Possum Bourne that are applicable for anyone I think....see previous text for context if you need it.

"Yes. I'm doing what I like doing. The trouble is that in a materialistic world people seem to think when you've done it once why would you do it again. They fail to understand the reason you do it is not for the results, but because we're doing what we want to do and we've worked damn hard to put together the best team in this part of the world. "

SPman
30th April 2003, 17:49
Too true.

Another nice guy bites the dust:(

Cuban
7th May 2003, 18:46
A sad day indeed, as a former spud boy(pukekohian) i can say that the town has lost its greatest son.

Good bugger by all accounts who did all NZers proud.

R.I.P.

Loved the clip they showed on the news when he was driving ("those camera boys shat themselves..!).&nbsp;Classic kiwi...

Is NZ motorsport all but dead on the international stage?(Is aaron&nbsp;the only kiwi on the grand stage out there?)&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Coldkiwi
8th May 2003, 12:47
Not at all!

Scott Dixon (3rd quickest in INDY 500 qualifying!) go that man

Shane and Darryl King (always doing well in the Motocross GP)

and I'm sure I've missed another obvious one...

of course, Maclaren live on :)

&nbsp;

&nbsp;