PDA

View Full Version : 2004 gsxr600k4 long term test.

Cajun
15th June 2004, 14:03
Okay I have owned my 2004 gsxr600k4 for just over 2 months how and done 2000kms on it in this time, from weekend thrash rides, daily commuting and touring.

This bike is such great fun to ride no matter what you are doing with it, around town nice small and light, and plenty of power low down. On the open road, it sits great on the road, and handles like a dream, enough power, even when you are sitting top gear at 100km/h, but that’s not often, you are most likely going a little faster, I have found it likes sitting at 120ish on the open road(but I have found this with most 600 sports bike it is where they like sitting), or you are in the lower gear so you are able to hear the amazing ram air growl.

This bike expects no wants you to rev it all the way to the red line, and crack it over as far as you dare. It inspires confidence in all aspects of your riding.

Over all build quality is Suzuki, not Honda, but good, apart from some of the paint cover on the some of the edges is a little thin, which seams to be a problem world over. Over my time I have had no problems with parts, apart from a faulty Suzuki oil filter on its first service which blew the o ring on it.

The seat height is tall 825mm but it doesn’t over all feel that tall, and peg positions feel fine and I am 6’2, and my wife at 5’6 feels fine on it as well. I have ridden this bike non-stop for 3 hours, and I still felt perfectly fine, no sore, legs/arms/ass. I couldn’t ride my old gsxr1100 this long with out being sore for the rest of the day.

The headlight, is great at night, its awesome on low beam, its good high beam, really needs a little adjustment higher, and maybe a brighter bulb, if you ride at night in rural/open road areas. The brakes, but much more you can say than long live radial mounted, two finger braking is wonderful even at well over 2 times the legal limit speeds.

It comes standard with Bridgestone 014, which if you believe what the hype tells you made for the gsxr 600/750 and cbr1000rr. I personally love Bridgestones, they are great tires, in the dry and in the wet, they are very controllable, they let you know before they start to slide.

Fuel wise, it is pretty good on fuel It does about 6-7l per 100kms, or It takes about

The adjustable shift light which the bike comes with standard, is a good posing toy, but after a while you don’t bother using it, due to you having to turn it on every time you start the motorcycle, and in the end you don’t use it, you just change gears like every other motorcycle by sound and feel.

I have only made a few simple modifications to this motorcycle, I installed from frame slides, from F1 engineering in Hamilton (they are the same as the gsxr1000) at a cost of $120, was good for piece of mine. I have had the standard exhaust changed, to get rid of the internal baffling chambers, to make it more of a straight thru exhaust, give gave a few more ponies, but it more responsive, and a little bit louder. One of the first that everyone has to do if they have one of these is great rid of that shovel of rear guard/number plate holder, it isn’t hard, and does not cost much to get a bracket made up.

At $15999 + ORC they are bargain, problem is there is none in the country until late august again. They come in three colours, Suzuki blue/white, black/orange, or the sexy yellow/black.

GSXR OWN THE RACE TRACK!!!

Neal the Cajun

P.S – Feel free to ask me any questions or queries.

UPDATEblack

Okay i am now sitting over 7000km i have owned it for 5 months. I have done a bit of touring on this bike(road trip to wellington) I am still amazed at this bike it tours, it does weekend scratching as well as everyday communting . I just need to get it to a track day to have a bit of fun.

750kms in one day, no sore ass/wrists nothing. Which is bloody good for a sports bike.

I had to replace the stock bridgestone 014 due to the rear looking square and not round at the rear, due to to all the straight road communting i am doing currently. I since fitted a set of pirelli super corsas sc1. Next might be a set of michilin pilots. At the 6000km service i added a bmc air filter, iridum spark plugs, as well as adding a TRE.

I still enjoy getting on it every day, and riding it around.

vifferman
15th June 2004, 14:34
Hey! False advertising! Two months / 2000km isn't long-term! It's barely run in. :laugh:
Good write up though. :niceone:

Quasievil
15th June 2004, 14:40
Hey Cajun, pick up the pace son, Ive had me Ducati 2 months and done 6000kms, what ya been doing riding it or cleaning it ?? :whistle:

Cajun
15th June 2004, 14:48
hahaha yeah well not really long term, but more than a test ride, sorta thing. but i done all but 55kms of those 2000, two times wife as riden it(50kms) and the bike shops services(5km). But its long enough to know its damn awsome, i am go glad i choose a 600 over a 1000cc after riding a zx10r(other bike i was thinking about getting)

Yeah quasi, some of us have to work during the week and can't get to go riding, I have been a bit slack, but i am also saving hard out for a house at the monent, so can't afford to go riding every weekend(other wise i would have my ear bitched at more than normal), i go for one decent ride a month and a couple of short ones, but like next week with traveling to auckland around auckland and home again, in one week, i will put close to 1000km on it(yes i am making alot of detours around place to visit friends and family and that while up there)

750Y
15th June 2004, 19:24
sounds good cajun, she's a really nice bike to look at and bristles with all the good bits you'd expect from a 2004 sportsbike. i bet the performance is awesome. is there anything you don't like about it?

Cajun
16th June 2004, 07:40
One thing i have found, is really tall first gear takes a bit of getting of the mark, is does 115km/h in first gear, which is great, but getting it off the line means giving it a big amount of gas. Only other thing i don't like about it, it not coming standard with a hugger, the kawa does, so does the honda i think. come on suzuki give me my hugger.

White trash
16th June 2004, 09:02
One thing i have found, is really tall first gear takes a bit of getting of the mark, is does 115km/h in first gear, which is great, but getting it off the line means giving it a big amount of gas. Only other thing i don't like about it, it not coming standard with a hugger, the kawa does, so does the honda i think. come on suzuki give me my hugger.

It does come with a factory seat cowl though, so quit your wingeing! :finger:

vifferman
16th June 2004, 09:05
One thing i have found, is really tall first gear takes a bit of getting of the mark, is does 115km/h in first gear, which is great, but getting it off the line means giving it a big amount of gas.
Many (most?) bikes are overgeared, to pass noise and emissions tests. Whack a 2-tooth bigger rear sprocket on it - it'll revolutionise it, and not just for takeoffs, but throughout the gears.

Cajun
16th June 2004, 09:06
YOU shut ya bitching, i was told what i didn't like so i siad, they are only really minor things really, i don't really need the rear seat, its not being used, cause rear pegs are coming off as well, just getting a nice bracket made up for the exhust to hang to,

Cajun
16th June 2004, 09:12
Many (most?) bikes are overgeared, to pass noise and emissions tests. Whack a 2-tooth bigger rear sprocket on it - it'll revolutionise it, and not just for takeoffs, but throughout the gears.

Yeah i know Firestormer, i am planning on doing that soon, thats just the one thing i have noticed on this, our bandit 600 is fine and my old gsxr1100 use to be good, and that did 120km/h in first

Firefight
16th June 2004, 09:15
Good write up Cajun, looking fwd to meeting up again for a blat, is it next week your up or the week after ? :sunny:

Firefight :blink:

Cajun
16th June 2004, 09:22
next week, coming up sunday 20th, coming home saturday 26th, it be a fast trip back home, i got a wedding at 1pm on saturday, yahamaman is coming back with me, we taking a back road i have found in the car, never used the bike on it it be good.

Yeah be good to catch up with you again FF i might be able to keep up on the 600 couldn't on the 1100, the pig it was

merv
16th June 2004, 12:22
Only other thing i don't like about it, it not coming standard with a hugger, the kawa does, so does the honda i think. come on suzuki give me my hugger.

What's with wanting all this hugging - you feeling sad or something? Ask Lynda next time you see her, I'm sure she'll give you a hug.

Cajun
16th June 2004, 12:26
Ok merv i will ask her next time, i am a little sad.

:Pokey:

smart ass

Hitcher
16th June 2004, 12:32
Hey! False advertising! Two months / 2000km isn't long-term! It's barely run in. :laugh:
Good write up though. :niceone:

Agreed!!!!

Cajun
16th June 2004, 12:35
Hitcher - I know but but more info than a quick ride, which you are most times impressed with what it can do, but living with it for a month or two, you find out bad areas with it.

Hitcher
16th June 2004, 12:51
Hitcher - I know but but more info than a quick ride, which you are most times impressed with what it can do, but living with it for a month or two, you find out bad areas with it.

Ride what you like, like what you ride!!

After 20,000km astride my Zrex since November last year I have yet to tire of it. Yes, it could be more "flickable"; yes, it would be nice at times to have a bit more wind protection; yes, the standard high beam leaves much to be desired (although a xenon bulb sorts this). But it is still pretty agile for a 225kg machine with my sylph-like frame upon it; wearing the wind is what biking is all about for me; the Zrex has shameless amounts of earth-spinning grunt, great stopping power, is a comfy ride, has good space for a pillion or tailbag and looks gorgeous in green.

Just because I've ordered doesn't mean I've stopped looking at the menu, but I have yet to see anything else on the road that I would prefer to own and ride (if I was only allowed one bike).

Cajun
16th June 2004, 13:42
Ride what you like, like what you ride!!

Damn straight that is very very true.

But with any bike there are always down sides, but thats why we ride we ride, for prime example i do not like riding the wifes vtr1000f, but she loves it, we are all different and like different things

Those zrx are nice bikes a guy up here brought one a while ago, i was thinking of something along those, couldn't make up my mind for ages what i really wanted.

Just because I've ordered doesn't mean I've stopped looking at the menu, but I have yet to see anything else on the road that I would prefer to own and ride (if I was only allowed one bike).

Thats like everything in life, you can always look at other things. hahahha

Thats the same with me not really seen any else i would own how, i take a zx10r for a blast, i was looking at one of those at begin of year but now i got my 600 its more than what i expect and keep me happy for years to come i do believe

Cajun
21st September 2004, 12:49
update read top

Cajun
10th October 2006, 12:01
Okay 28,000kms installed new set of chain sprockets, -1 on front +2 on rear which equals

15 teeth on front
47 teeth on rear

All running on 520 pitch chain. Which gives me a ratio of 3.13. This is pretty much a race bike gearing setup

Damn what a huge difference this made to the bike, it feels so more responsive, and so much more fun to ride. Down side you will make you speedo read way to fast, so if you do go down this method grab a speedohealer all up chain and speedohealer cost me $500.

After all this time this bike still turns me on. i could stare at it for hours. Even two years later, and close to 30,000kms, on,

Many complain about suzuki finsh, my bike gets riden every day rain hail shine, gets parked out side, while at work in the sun rain dust, ocean wind. and apart from a few stone chips paint still in top condition, faded a little, but thats expected with no matter what. It only gets a wash once ever 6 weeks. Polish made every 3 months.

Have spend about $700 all 5 services up to this point which works out to about $140 each service.

Costs So far
Services $700
Brake Pads $200 (Upgraded to ebc HH, and changed rear to remove squeak)
BMC filter $120
NYK Irdiums $50
Chain parts $500
Tires $1400 (3 fronts, 4 Rears)
Fuel $2400

so thats about $5400 in 2 years of use
so thats $2700 per year
$52 a week for running expenses (including fuel)
------------------------

Always had a problem with the front end getting very unsettled over bumper corners.Even my preload was maxed out from static.
But thanks to Nicko scored myself a set of traxxion dynamics, front fork springs, So send the forks down to shaun harris last week, to set install and setup and change the oil(he also noted that the front fork where full of gunk)

Only done about 300kms on these, and damn what a huge improvement. While the forks were away i also change the oil in the steering damper, i only went up to 10w, this also helpd the feeling in the faster corners(never had any slapper moments to date)

Cajun
10th April 2007, 11:36
3rd Birthday

Today i start the 3rd year of ownership of my GSXR600k4, i brought it brand new 10th April 2004 from Motogb in Tauranga.

Here is some basic run down on costs i have incurred with running this bike

Km Traveled
Year 1 = 15,000km (15,000kms traveled this year)
Year 2 = 25,000km (10,000kms traveled this year)
Year 3 = 33,000km (8,000kms traveled this year)

Where Money Spend
Total Fuel = $2,824.94 (Average l/100 km 6.55)
6 Services = $738
Tires 4 fronts, 6 rears total = $2,160
Mods spend = $2,084

TOTAL RUNNING COSTS $7,461.44 ($2,500ish per year)

------------------------------------

I have only really have had 1 major problem in 3 years of ownership (the secdonary throttle valve aucator,[part that controls the secondary butterflys from moving]stoped working, its not a major fault, but is a known problem with the k4/k5 600-750)

I was tossing up earlyer this year to sell this bike, but i have decided to keep riding it.

Future mods
Ohlins rear
Correct Map for PC3.

Alltrax
10th April 2007, 11:41
your servicing is really cheap! do you do it your self?

Cajun
10th April 2007, 11:47
your servicing is really cheap! do you do it your self?

No i only did the 30,000 service myself, all others have been been completed by local suzuki dealer, But also note, i make servicing cheaper by taking them the bike less side fairings and like to make live easier/cheaper.

And if i know bike is gonna need plugs/filter, i supply this which i can get elsewear cheap(which is include in the mods costing)

KM $
1000 100
6000 120
12000 150
18000 148
24000 120
30000 100

------
I know where i misculated i also provided the filter on the two cheaper 120 services

Cajun
9th June 2007, 20:59
Just installed a second hand ohlins rear shock i picked up second hand(dirt cheap)

What a huge difference it made, i have only had a chance to ride with on the track, but bike feels tons better after my stock.

Cajun
12th July 2007, 15:26
Finally got around to fixing the long term problem i have had with the stva(secondary throttle valve actuator).

Was a rather simple fix in big scheme of things, rather than replaceing the whole throttle bodies US$800(ebay for US$200), which is only other way to correct the problem.

Regarding the Ohlins shock, bike feels alot better, i am not getting the tearing up on the michlein 2cts as i was on the stock shock, didn't really believe the stock was that bad, but now i do know.
--
Picked up a second hand hot bodies rear huger from trade me, second hand had done about 1000kms, not a scratch on it, guy had replace it with a carbon fibre one, so scored that, had it hugger on the bike (including being painted[black before you ask not yellow]) for under $100

Only thing really do do now is get a good true tune for the pc3 for my bike.

Pussy
12th July 2007, 21:43
How did you fix the STVA?

justsomeguy
12th July 2007, 22:00
Hi Cajun,

Had a look but couldn't find anything, could you please tell us more about your GSXR1000K4.

Kind regards,
JSG

Cajun
13th July 2007, 08:52
How did you fix the STVA?

pulled it a part and worked some magic,

acutally it has some dodgy solders on it, so resolded it and its away again, strange riding my bike with out this FI warning light on my dash, been that so long i got use to it.

Cajun
13th July 2007, 08:53
Hi Cajun,

Had a look but couldn't find anything, could you please tell us more about your GSXR1000K4.

Kind regards,
JSG

i pm you JSG

Cajun
9th April 2008, 08:28
Happy Birthday GSX-R 600

Another year has rolled around of owning my 600, being a total of 4 years of ownership

Only done 12,000kms over the past year, i am not clocking up as many kms since i moved
house and bike is only used on weekend for fun now isntead of communting to work.

Made a few changes this year to the bike
second hand ohlins rear shock
rear hugger
ohlins steering damper
Low expanstion rubber front hoses.
front brake pads replaced EBC HH(25,000kms)

Bike is starting to show its mileage a bit now its nudging 50,000kms, nothing a good bit of TLC and basic
repair work can't fix the tour of the SI i did this year did more damage(to shine/state of fairings)
in 5000kms than the previous 40,000kms.
But its not a new bike and well gonna get damaged, got my first scratch/rub on my tank while away )c:<

Was tempted to sell this bike this year, but i still enjoy riding it. And decided i might as well keep it long term,
Got all the after market parts you would want, and maybe not want. still goes really well.
-------
I have changed my service intervals to every 5,000kms instead of every 6,000kms, I have also always use the same brand/make of oil in it, and plan on doing that for long haul. "Shell Advance Ultra 4 (Fully Synthetic)"

Okey Dokey
11th April 2008, 07:54
Thanks for keeping this thread running. It is great to read your impressions over the past four years. I've always wondered why anyone would get a 600 when they could have the 750, but you certainly make a very convincing case.

Cajun
10th June 2008, 14:02
just been having a fiddle around with my spreadsheet and come up with some interesting figures.

My bike now has cost me more than what i originally paid for it over 4 years ago but in turn, it sitting just under 50,000kms, has pretty much most aftermarket parts you can think of/want.

<table><tr><td>TOTAL RUNNING COSTS</td></tr>
<tr><td>Fuel Cost</td> <td>$4,163.11</td></tr>
<tr><td>Service</td> <td>$1,028 </td></tr>
<tr><td>Maintenance </td> <td>$2,637 </td></tr>
<tr><td>Hot up parts</td> <td>$3,036 </td></tr>
<tr><td>Dress up parts</td> <td>$1,259 </td></tr>
<tr><td>Tires </td> <td>$2,890</tr>
<tr><td>Suspension </td> <td>$892 </td></tr>
<tr><td>Government Speed Tax</td> <td> $240</td></tr>
<tr><td>Total</td> <td> $16,145.16</td></tr></table>

Maintenance includes, wof/Rego,
Services - cost of oil/filter + labour for doing services

Firefight
10th June 2008, 14:05
and after all that.....

its still only a Suzuki:Pokey:

F/F

Cajun
10th June 2008, 14:07
and after all that.....

its still only a Suzuki:Pokey:

F/F

Still has more style than all your yamahas put together mate

Firefight
10th June 2008, 14:12
Still has more style than all your yamahas put together mate

quick bite back,:devil2: you must be having a slow day at the Port ?

I will be down the Mt thursday morning

will u be there ?

I will let you buy me coffee

Cajun
10th June 2008, 14:13
quick bite back,:devil2: you must be having a slow day at the Port ?

I will be down the Mt thursday morning

will u be there ?

I will let you buy me coffee

will be around mate, fire me a txt

Firefight
10th June 2008, 14:15
will be around mate, fire me a txt

ok will do.

F.F

Cajun
3rd April 2009, 07:27
Well today 5 years ago on Saturday 3th of april 2004, was the day i first saw my the banana bike in the flesh for first time, and decided it shall be mine. Less than 1 week later it was mine.

Story goes
Was informed by my suzuki dealer(motogb) that the k4s where in and was one over at road & sport in hamilton, so i went for a spin to have a look it over to see if its what i really wanted to buy.

I did, the bike was already sold when i went to have a look at it so could not ride could only look and hear it, but it fell thru on the monday afternoon, So my dealer said its his and he pick it up in a couple of days, when we went to pick it up on the thrusday for me, they said they have sold it already, but was still in shop, so long story short, it became mine.

Cajun
9th April 2009, 19:48
Well its 5th birthday today

Not done really that much milage over past year, since i do not commute to work on it any more and is only really use for a play toy

Past 12 months done little over 5000kms on the bike, with 1000kms on this on track.

Mods done in the past 12 months
Yoshimura Em-Pro ECU (Pair valve removed)
Intergrated tail light (later removed and replaced with complete undertail unit with built in indcators)
Ohlins Rear shock & damper both serviced by Robert Taylor
Stomp grip
Driven Grips
Yoshimura Barend weights
New Rider Custom Seat
Yoshimura exhaust (headers polished, can choped 1.5")
New Battery

sharky
9th April 2009, 20:59
I've got one too. Awesome bike:2thumbsup