PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Pluto

Garry.W
25th August 2006, 10:25
Overnight, poor old Pluto has been stripped of its status as a planet when astronomers from around the world redefined it as a "dwarf planet", leaving just eight major planets in the solar system :gob:

With one vote all the toys and models of the solar system become instantly obsolete. I feel for all the teachers and publishers who now have to scramble to update textbooks and lessons used in classrooms for decades. What about trivial pursuit? You're buggered if you get that question about naming all the planets in our solar system. :brick:

As one ten-year old put it, "Is this is what you get for naming a planet after a disney character?" - only an American kid could come up with that one :bash:

Whole thing a bit Mickey Mouse if you ask me :shit:

ManDownUnder
25th August 2006, 10:29
I say sue them...

Actually... and seriously... remind me how this is part of the scientific process? What criteria does an orbital body need to meet (or not meet) in order to be a planet.

If it meets those criteria... then by definition it's either a planet or not...

Or where they voting on those criteria?

edit - a 1/2 way decent write up is here (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/060818_planet_newprop.html)

SARGE
25th August 2006, 10:29
Overnight, poor old Pluto has been stripped of its status as a planet when astronomers from around the world redefined it as a "dwarf planet", leaving just eight major planets in the solar system :gob:

With one vote all the toys and models of the solar system become instantly obsolete. I feel for all the teachers and publishers who now have to scramble to update textbooks and lessons used in classrooms for decades. What about trivial pursuit? You're buggered if you get that question about naming all the planets in our solar system. :brick:

As one ten-year old put it, "Is this is what you get for naming a planet after a disney character?" - only an American kid could come up with that one :bash:

Whole thing a bit Mickey Mouse if you ask me :shit:

didnt they just find one farther out and name it Xena?

to be called a planet, a celestial body must be in orbit around a star while not itself being a star.

It must be large enough in mass for its own gravity to pull it into a nearly spherical shape and have cleared the neighborhood around its orbit.

Pluto was disqualified because its oblong orbit overlaps Neptune's. Xena also does not make the grade of being a planet, and will also be known as a dwarf planet.

James Deuce
25th August 2006, 10:32
Settle!

You have to remember the origin of the word planet and its original definition as objects that move about in the night sky against the background of the immovable stars.

What has happened in the last decade or two has been the discovery of a vast number of Kuiper belt objects in a Trans Neptunian orbit around the Sun. Some of these objects are larger than Pluto.

Our definition of planet has changed from lights in the sky to solid objects or Gas Giants that orbit a star around the plane of the ecliptic without crossing the orbit of another planet. I am sure that the definition will be improved by adding dimension and gravitational field parameters and so on until the label is meaningful from our new context of understanding.

The definition of planet has changed from connotative to dennotative as we have developed tools to "see" planets and define how they relate to a "Solar System".

Sniper
25th August 2006, 10:32
They have no right to just suddenly change it.

James Deuce
25th August 2006, 10:35
I say sue them...

Actually... and seriously... remind me how this is part of the scientific process? What criteria does an orbital body need to meet (or not meet) in order to be a planet.

If it meets those criteria... then by definition it's either a planet or not...

Or where they voting on those criteria?

edit - a 1/2 way decent write up is here (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/060818_planet_newprop.html)

There are no criteria, that's the problem. The debate over what defines planetary body has only started in the last decade.

skelstar
25th August 2006, 10:35
So does Pluto cross Neptune's orbit, or is it vice-versa?

James Deuce
25th August 2006, 10:37
So does Pluto cross Neptune's orbit, or is it vice-versa?

Pluto crosses Neptune. It also rises above and below the plane of the ecliptic. Neptune is the last planetary sized object with a stable orbit. It's magnetic poles point off in funny directions though. Most of the other planets have magnetic poles within 25 degrees of the plane of the ecliptic.

ManDownUnder
25th August 2006, 10:39
There are no criteria, that's the problem. The debate over what defines planetary body has only started in the last decade.

I was just reading about it (other pages on the link I posted above). Bloody interesting actually...

SARGE
25th August 2006, 10:42
the latest definition (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/060816_planet_resolution.html)

Motu
25th August 2006, 10:57
I always thought Pluto looked a bit like Goofy,y'know...like ''cousins'' or something.I'd be really pissed off if they stripped Goofy of his place in my system...

Garry.W
25th August 2006, 10:58
didnt they just find one farther out and name it Xena?

Right you are Sarge. Mike Brown of the California Institute of Technology, discovered UB313 in 2003 and it was nicknamed Xena. It is larger than Pluto, and instantly created a buzz over whether a new planet had been discovered.

However, the definition of a planet, approved after a heated debate among 2,500 scientists from the International Astronomical Union (IAU) meeting in Prague, drew a clear distinction between Pluto and the other eight planets.

The need to define what is a planet has been driven by technological advances enabling astronomers to look further into space and measure more precisely the size of celestial bodies.

The significance is that new discoveries and new science have told astronomers that there is something different about Pluto from the other eight planets and as science learns more information, they get new results and new considerations.

All the scientists agreed that, to be called a planet, a celestial body must be in orbit around a star while not itself being a star. It must be large enough in mass for its own gravity to pull it into a nearly spherical shape and have cleared the neighborhood around its orbit.

Pluto was disqualified because its oblong orbit overlaps with Neptune's. Xena also does not make the grade of being a planet, and will also be known as a dwarf planet.

Funnily enough if the agreed-upon definition -- the first time the IAU has tried to define scientifically what a planet is -- actually ended up being that discussed in a draft paper sent to delegates at the General Assembly last week, Pluto would still be a planet and three others would have been added.

But, the new definition creates a second category called "dwarf planets", as well as a third category for all other objects, except satellites, known as small solar system bodies. Really, the sceintists have expanded the number of planets in our solar system, but just spread them over two categories.

So the answer to the trivial pursuits question will be Mercury, Venus. Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune :done:

Swoop
25th August 2006, 11:07
I do not like it at all.

This will start an intergalactic war! (and the space shuttle is dodgy enough already...):shit:

Ghost Lemur
25th August 2006, 11:16
Wired also had a good write up on the debate.

Very interesting stuff.

It does remind you that all our definition, categories, measures, etc, are man made and therefore falible.

SARGE
25th August 2006, 11:26
Wired also had a good write up on the debate.

Very interesting stuff.

It does remind you that all our definition, categories, measures, etc, are man made and therefore falible.

Science is an ever-evolving process also GL.. only 500 years ago prior to the the Copernican theory ,the world was flat and at the center of the universe..

black holes, wormholes and dark matter are very recent discoveries..

is WARP drive far off ?

[H[2J#3 [5;1mDON'T PANIC![0m #4 [5;1mDON'T PANIC![0m

Skyryder
25th August 2006, 20:49
Well fuck the cunts. Pluto is my ruling planet................I'm suing.

Bit like Jade Stadium. They can change the name but it will always be Lancaster Park.

Ghost Lemur
25th August 2006, 23:08
Science is an ever-evolving process also GL.. only 500 years ago prior to the the Copernican theory ,the world was flat and at the center of the universe..

black holes, wormholes and dark matter are very recent discoveries..

is WARP drive far off ?

[H[2J#3 [5;1mDON'T PANIC![0m #4 [5;1mDON'T PANIC![0m

Supernova's... hehehe

Anyone else crack up when they see a group of geriatric rockers called supernova?

SARGE
25th August 2006, 23:14
Supernova's... hehehe

Anyone else crack up when they see a group of geriatric rockers called supernova?

i dont watch any of those programs..lowest common denominator type shit..i tend to stick to Discovery and History channels for the most part.. or i read a book.. TV has taken a nosedive in the past 10 years

however.. Tommy Lee would fuck 50 cent up

onearmedbandit
25th August 2006, 23:38
Did anyone ask the Plutoians what they think of this?

The_Dover
26th August 2006, 07:49
Overnight, poor old Pluto has been stripped of its status as a planet when astronomers from around the world redefined it as a "dwarf planet",

Well, Finn will be pleased. He's got a little stumpy midget planet to call his own.

Deano
26th August 2006, 08:06
What has happened in the last decade or two has been the discovery of a vast number of Kuiper belt objects in a Trans Neptunian orbit around the Sun. Some of these objects are larger than Pluto.

It's life Jim but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it.

We come in peace, shoot to kill...

Motu
26th August 2006, 09:28
He's dead Jim....

James Deuce
26th August 2006, 09:50
There's Klingons on the starboard bow

Deano
26th August 2006, 09:55
There's Klingons on the starboard bow

Better there than Uranus eh ?

Finn
26th August 2006, 10:52
Well, Finn will be pleased. He's got a little stumpy midget planet to call his own.

Yes. My search for intelligence on planet earth has failed. After impregnating all the women (except the ugly ones) and drinking all the beer, my mission has drawn to a close.

Later morons.

crashe
26th August 2006, 11:07
Well thats buggered up all the science books...

What about the dude that named 'Pluto' as a planet....
He will now have come out of the history books as it aint a planet no more...
(yeah ok he is long dead, but still)

Ok for all you science and history buffs - who did name the not now known as planet 'pluto' ?????? And when (what year)

Oh well Goofy can have his wee mate back now...

(I have a glow in the dark model of the planets (stick on the wall or ceilings) that I was going to give to my grandaughter..... well now I cant as it is so out of date.) It is still in its box.. shall keep it as one day it may be worth dollars as a collectors item :whistle:

James Deuce
26th August 2006, 11:20
1930. Percival Lowell.

His entry will be changed to "Discoverer of the first member of the dwarf planet class known as "plutons." These plutons inhabit the Trans-Neptunian area of Earth's Solar System and it is postulated that these types of bodies populate the extreme boundaries of many star systems."

I like that better myself.

Motu
26th August 2006, 11:33
. Pluto is my ruling planet.

I can't wait untill my ruling planet is discovered - I'm sick of sharing a planet with those pesky twins.

Vulcan....it's the logical choice,don't you agree Captain?

Biff
26th August 2006, 12:43
Justice IMO. It should never have been considered a planet. It's a block of freakin ice with a wonky orbit, and they're two a penny out past Jupiter way.

My understanding is that while modern astromanominers have indeed begun debating whether Pluto should be considered a planet at all, with increasing fervour, in the last decade- the actual debate began at the beginning of the 20th century, when telescopitomologists took photos of the Kuiper belt and identified a large(ish) chunk of ice, wibbling about in something resembling a predictable orbit (which probably didn't even originate from our solar system anyhoo). It was probably an arsesteroid.

When an amateur telescoptimistic guy made a song and dance about noticing this object again around 20 ish years later, some people got really excited insisting it was indeed an undiscovered planet. While many scientologists claimed it wasn't. It's only since the recent death of this telescoptimistic guy for people to begin this debate again.

Justice.

Vote Ixion. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=34175&highlight=ixion)

Virago
26th August 2006, 14:50
But will the removal of Pluto affect the orbits of the other planets?:dodge:

James Deuce
26th August 2006, 14:52
Only if you're an astrologer.

Ghost Lemur
26th August 2006, 20:00
1930. Percival Lowell.

His entry will be changed to "Discoverer of the first member of the dwarf planet class known as "plutons." These plutons inhabit the Trans-Neptunian area of Earth's Solar System and it is postulated that these types of bodies populate the extreme boundaries of many star systems."

Actually they found out they couldn't call them plutons, when geologists rightfully pointed out that that term is already in use in their field.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluton

So that got dropped like a lead balloon. So their just Dwarf Planets. What I want to know is, is there as Smeg'n Red one. hehehe

James Deuce
26th August 2006, 21:03
Bugger. That was a cool name.

Edbear
26th August 2006, 22:22
First the Tooth Fairy, then Santa, then the Easter Bunny, now Pluto! Are all our dreams to be shattered...?:bye:

James Deuce
26th August 2006, 22:44
Wait 'til you find out about the fact that we're never going to get flying cars. That hurts.

Motu
26th August 2006, 23:07
Sniff.....well,goodbye little fella,thanks for the laughs....

Drunken Monkey
28th August 2006, 09:35
... While many scientologists claimed it wasn't....

Scientologists are those freaky guys from Hollywood who are like "all hail L Ron Hubbard". I think you mean 'scientician', those geeky guys with pocket protectors...

Finn
28th August 2006, 09:47
Sniff.....well,goodbye little fella,thanks for the laughs....

Speaking of which, if Mickey is a mouse and Donald is a duck, what the hell is Goofey? He's not a dog, that's Pluto.

Motu
28th August 2006, 10:39
''Cousins'' You notice Goofy is ''black''.Nigger in the toolshed.

The_Dover
28th August 2006, 11:16
and he's a bit thick.

Pixie
28th August 2006, 12:34
I always thought Pluto looked a bit like Goofy,y'know...like ''cousins'' or something.I'd be really pissed off if they stripped Goofy of his place in my system...

A little known fact is that Goofy is the result of a beastial act between Minnie and Pluto.
She never did like Mickey's mouse dick

Pixie
28th August 2006, 12:40
1930. Percival Lowell.

Clyde Tombaugh actually.

James Deuce
28th August 2006, 12:46
That hairy old chestnut :)