PDA

View Full Version : GSXR 1000 K2 - more of a story than review

Funkyfly
15th June 2004, 16:50
1st real ride on a 1000 K2 (had a TL1000s before this bike)

Well the sun was shining and the road was dry, there was no wind and the back country was beckoning!

Riding to the gas station to fill her up I feel awkward and uncoordinated, like im perched on top of the bike rather than sitting "in" it. This is my first time on a 1000cc 4 cyl.

As i head toward Whanga this feeling doesn’t go away, it makes me uneasy. On the straights fun fun fun, this thing is like a rocket ship, and very stable (havent touched the susp settings yet) however I find myself short shifting all the time, riding up and down the three saddles would have been faster on the ZXR250! I stop at a rest area for a breather, nervous and sore (I think gsxr's were built for midgets) I think to myself "why did I buy this thing", after tossing up whether to head home or carry on to Whanga I decide to carry on, arriving at whanga very sore and tired (mentally)

Conclusion from ride out to whanga - This thing sucks, well I suck really, its uncomfortable, hard on your wrists and when you brake you feel like your going to fly over the top! I cant use any of the power and I don’t like the engine, it feels like it wants to fall over on every corner so Im scared to lean it in.

After a ten minute break allowing my nerves to settle and contemplating the best way to sell the GSXR I hit the road home.

I have always known the ride home is better than the ride out, on any bike, so I was interested to see what it would be like on the way back.

Well straight away the bike feels more controllable, (amazing what a 10 minute break can do) the first bit of road out of whanga is nice and sweepy, I lean over the bars and assume the "I think im a GP racer" pose. This helps a lot, I don’t feel so vulnerable and the bike lean angle is more controlled, for the first time not on a straight I rev over 8k and wow WOW WOW! Feel more and more confident I start to lean over and twist the throttle, this thing is wikid! I get into a rhythm like I use to on the TL and I feel in the zone, I love this feeling as it inspires more confidence. I start to play with the throttle, taking it to 7k then cracking it open, sheesh, this is so fast! At 160 on a straight the front is starting to lift, wow! Coming around and over some bends the front comes up about a foot, I didn’t realise till it landed, so smooth, woohooo! Hitting 228 on a straight I decide thats fast enuff for today. Arriving home I cant wipe the grin off my face, nadine soon gets sick of my ramblings about what a machine it is!

Conclusion from ride home - This thing rocks! Apart from the brakes which I don’t think are as good as the TL (which were 6 pot and braided) it’s a weapon! It feels so light, so easy to flick from one side to the other, even while on the brakes! The power over 7k is out there! I really need a track day on this thing! I love the power and the motor. The susp is great, no wallowing like the TL mid corner, it just wants to turn! My legs hurt but who cares, I feel like brian bernard! Im not sure a v-twin will ever feel the same! Checking the tyre wear I find I deleted the chicken strips on the rear and even the front is showing marks right out the the edge! Wow! Never did that on the TL on public roads. Im damn sure my riding ability hasnt improved, rather this bike is simply easier to ride once i started to relax a bit.

Its going to take a lot of riding to explore this bike but that ride home was enuff to decide to keep it! Im so looking fwd to more riding on this beast.

Shame i wrote if off a week later! Not my fauly, a car failed to give way.

Hitcher
15th June 2004, 17:32
Testosterone. Alive, well and living in Taranaki!

That Whangamomona ride rocks!

hondav2
25th October 2004, 21:10
I can relate to you going to a multi, My first 3 mins were shit on new CBR till I got on the open road and opps 160 on speedo and not trying, I still got the VTR for sentimental reasons, Cheers Toddy