PDA

View Full Version : I Gotta Squeak - In The Nicest Possible Way

Terminated
25th August 2006, 20:21
Golf November Two Five Zero has developed this week a squeak and here are the observations:

1. applying brakes - squeak still there.

2. going down hill squeak seems to disappear.

3. moving up through gears squeak still there, but mysteriously disappears for a few minutes and reappears.

Could this possibly be a speedo cable problem??

Any other thoughts??

Heads Up and Enjoy

twinkle
25th August 2006, 22:33
I had the same problem, in my case it was the gear thingamajig that the speedo cable screws into.
I took it apart and had a look. Suzuki has never heard of grease apparently :gob: It looked more like a factory worker had coughed up some phlegm into it :sick: All the parts inside were dry and a bit rusty so I cleaned it, repacked it with real grease and no more squeaky :yes:

Which made me wonder about the swingarm bearings, which also had dried up crusty grease in them when i dismantled it. I haven't got to the headset yet but i'm guessing it's probably in the same condition.

Terminated
25th August 2006, 22:41
I had the same problem, in my case it was the gear thingamajig that the speedo cable screws into.

Hey thanks twinkle, my thoughts too, going to have a look at the cable over the weekend.

twinkle
25th August 2006, 22:45
It won't be the cable, it will be the thing it screws into, or something else. I'll post a photo of the part if i can find one for you.

twinkle
25th August 2006, 22:57
Ok it was this part on mine. It has one of those C clips you need to get off first to get to the little gears inside it. There aren't too many parts inside, just two gears, some washers and a seal.

Terminated
25th August 2006, 23:36
Ok it was this part on mine. It has one of those C clips you need to get off first to get to the little gears inside it. There aren't too many parts inside, just two gears, some washers and a seal.

Many thanks for that picture twinkle, will have a look.

Appreciate you going to the effort of posting this.

twinkle
26th August 2006, 11:04
no problem, good luck :scooter:

twinkle
26th August 2006, 18:21
well yes... and no. Moving production to China to cut costs is fair enough, leaving out the grease is not on from a major manufacturer like suzuki.