PDA

View Full Version : Wellington - What A Beautiful Day - Yeah Right (26 August)

Terminated
26th August 2006, 12:16
What more can I say - time to clean the chain and polish the bike.

Hitcher
26th August 2006, 13:51
What's a bit of rain every once in a while?

Colapop
26th August 2006, 13:57
Ummm ... it's rain...?

Wasp
26th August 2006, 14:24
Atleast you have a place to work on your bike in the rain, my bike has to sit outside :(

if i had a place i'd be pulling apart and cleaning the carbs right now

Drum
26th August 2006, 18:37
After being cooped up inside all day, at 5pm'ish it was looking a bit dryer so I made a break for it! Unfortunately I only made it to the Stokes Valley roundabout before the weather took a rather nasty turn - so I turned around and came back - total distance travelled about 10km.

And Wasp - if you need garage space to work on your bike - send me a PM - Ive got tools too.

sunhuntin
26th August 2006, 19:30
had the triumph charity ride today...no choice but to ride, lol. blew a gale all the way there and pissed down all the way back. sat for 3 hours in wet gear while watching the after-ride auction and let me tell you, a shower at the end was bliss. my boots leaked...felt like a liter in each boot, which eventually leaked out onto the floor where we were....nice big puddle.

but despite the weather, about 75 bikes showed up, which was awesome!

thanks to the alton pub for a great spread!

Madness
26th August 2006, 19:45
The Hutt River was pumping again, you'd think all the logs & stuff upstream would have been flushed out by now but there were some big-uns coming down. One car parked in the northern Melling commuters carpark & one at the southern end of the riverbank carpark were locked in thisafternoon with the road-closures, bugger!

poorbastard
26th August 2006, 20:19
What's a bit of rain every once in a while?

Once in a while????????

You mean just about 28 days a month

Steam
26th August 2006, 20:51
Once in a while????????

You mean just about 28 days a month

Hell yeah, I just moved to Wellington, and I tell ya, the weather is way worse than back in Dunedin, it never seems to stop raining. Is this just winter or is the summer bad too?

Oh how I pine for Central Otago...

James Deuce
26th August 2006, 22:48
It's Winter. It rains. Did they not tell you lot that at your state funded school where no one fails?

If you don't like it, there's a huge, dry, brown desert just next door. The road's are all straight, but at least it doesn't rain.

Drum
27th August 2006, 08:41
I.............If you don't like it, there's a huge, dry, brown desert just next door. The road's are all straight, but at least it doesn't rain.

Tried that, but the place is full of foreigners and wild animals.

merv
27th August 2006, 10:14
Yeah see ya later fellahs I'm off to brown dirt land for the week in Adelaide - no biking unfortunately just work work work. So I'll be another foreigner over there.

Maha
27th August 2006, 10:19
had the triumph charity ride today...no choice but to ride, lol. blew a gale all the way there and pissed down all the way back. sat for 3 hours in wet gear while watching the after-ride auction and let me tell you, a shower at the end was bliss. my boots leaked...felt like a liter in each boot, which eventually leaked out onto the floor where we were....nice big puddle.

but despite the weather, about 75 bikes showed up, which was awesome!

thanks to the alton pub for a great spread!

Oh yeah, sounds like great fun......:mellow:
i dont mind the rain............but 'WIND' ?.....:shit:
Hate the two combined, but if you are out there, what can ya do?

Colapop
27th August 2006, 11:52
Um chill out on the bean laden foods...?

Maha
27th August 2006, 12:06
Um chill out on the bean laden foods...?

Im guessing thats in relation to 'WIND' in my post aye smart fulla?....:niceone:

MD
27th August 2006, 12:09
To beat the boredom yesterday I changed the Kawasaki's oil and filter. Thumbs up to Mr K for making it an easy task. Piece of piss compared to some bikes in the past. Now I want to ride it but doesn't look like clearing up much more today. Just checked the Gladstone weather and it's drizzle! What's the point with drizzle. It's either dry, so I can enjoy a ride, or it's wet. All these levels of wetness just piss me off. Only one condition I want to hear DRY :sunny: :sunny: .

crashe
27th August 2006, 13:11
well what can I say.... it was ok all day (Saturday)... I was out and about on my bike...

Time to head home last night and the heavens opened up, got drenched...
Bad timing it was on my part... if only I had left about 15 mintes earlier... and I would have gotten home nice an dry..

Oh well you get that here in Auckland...

Gear all dry now...

Hitcher
27th August 2006, 17:51
Mrs H and I went over the hill today. A bit wet and cold on the hill both ways but well worth the trip. It's been ages since we last made this excursion and it was nice to see that the Wairarapa has dried out a bit.

Different story here. We had 101.5mm at home over the weekend. That is shit loads, and explains the big slip on the Ngaio Gorge Road and on the Johnsonville railway line.

mattp
28th August 2006, 07:55
I'm from Wellington and loved the roads around there :Punk: I'll be back around December and will be looking forward to some fast rideouts :yes: .

It does rain but thats life and F/A people go to Wellington to get a suntan :gob:

James Deuce
28th August 2006, 07:57
It does rain but thats life and F/A people go to Wellington to get a suntan :gob:

Which is odd, because we consistently top Auckland for sunshine hours per year.

I left Auckland largely becaue it does flipping rain all the time. The year we left, the rain stripped the surface off the Southern Motorway from Drury to the Bombay Hills. I can handle a few mud slides. I get pissed off when I get stuck in Auckland for any period of time though.

sunhuntin
28th August 2006, 14:10
Oh yeah, sounds like great fun......:mellow:
i dont mind the rain............but 'WIND' ?.....:shit:
Hate the two combined, but if you are out there, what can ya do?

im used to the wind, but that was slightly stronger than expected. was following a two-up BMW decker type bike, and even that was going sideways! LOL. quite helpful really...id watch where they went on the roads and would brace myself. very nearly wound up the ditch a few times.

vs04
28th August 2006, 15:23
im used to the wind, but that was slightly stronger than expected. was following a two-up BMW decker type bike, and even that was going sideways! LOL. quite helpful really...id watch where they went on the roads and would brace myself. very nearly wound up the ditch a few times.

LOL,saw that the wind was pushing you around a bit.Iwas sitting behind you for a while,until i decided to stop in Patea to put the wets on.Did,nt ride with the main bunch,was taking a video of you all going past virginia lake then caught up to you guys just outside Waitotara.Shame about the weather but good day though,took most of sunday to clean both bikes,still, beats working.

sunhuntin
29th August 2006, 14:30
LOL,saw that the wind was pushing you around a bit.Iwas sitting behind you for a while,until i decided to stop in Patea to put the wets on.Did,nt ride with the main bunch,was taking a video of you all going past virginia lake then caught up to you guys just outside Waitotara.Shame about the weather but good day though,took most of sunday to clean both bikes,still, beats working.

was that you we picked up? i think alan was behind me...saw him slow down a bit for you, and then you vanished again, lol. asked mike, but he didnt know and didnt get a chance to ask alan. quite enjoyed riding in that little group. not sure who was in front...older triumph it looked like. him and me both stuck to the left side, with mike and alan holding the right. even mike was getting blown about.

havent cleaned scuff yet...she can wait a while. might just get the hose out and go for it. need to get some new rags too....lol.

whats the video on? vhs or dvd/cd?

vs04
29th August 2006, 20:53
was that you we picked up? i think alan was behind me...saw him slow down a bit for you, and then you vanished again, lol. asked mike, but he didnt know and didnt get a chance to ask alan. quite enjoyed riding in that little group. not sure who was in front...older triumph it looked like. him and me both stuck to the left side, with mike and alan holding the right. even mike was getting blown about.

havent cleaned scuff yet...she can wait a while. might just get the hose out and go for it. need to get some new rags too....lol.

whats the video on? vhs or dvd/cd?

Yep,that was me,sat on 120ks till i caught sight of you guys just going down into waitotara and thought that i,d caught up to the main bunch.I thought that bike in front of you was a trail bike but might be wrong.Did the video on the digital camera and then download on to disc when we get home.

sunhuntin
29th August 2006, 22:54
Yep,that was me,sat on 120ks till i caught sight of you guys just going down into waitotara and thought that i,d caught up to the main bunch.I thought that bike in front of you was a trail bike but might be wrong.Did the video on the digital camera and then download on to disc when we get home.

there was a traily there for a while...not too sure who that was or whether it was part of the group or not. we were right at the tail end...i was sitting on about 90k most of the time, and doing 80k coming back....was just me, mike and heather on the ride home. mike didnt want to go fast, as every time id get up to 100k, id have to drop back a bit, so stuck at 80k. seemed comfortable.
was hard on the ride up to keep my speed steady, with the wind cutting in. would have preferred to have ridden in proper staggered formation, rather than right on the triumphs rear wheel, but my left mirrors right out, cant see a thing. was glad the trumpy in front seemed to be a slow bike...hate feeling like im slowing people down.

vs04
30th August 2006, 10:39
there was a traily there for a while...not too sure who that was or whether it was part of the group or not. we were right at the tail end...i was sitting on about 90k most of the time, and doing 80k coming back....was just me, mike and heather on the ride home. mike didnt want to go fast, as every time id get up to 100k, id have to drop back a bit, so stuck at 80k. seemed comfortable.
was hard on the ride up to keep my speed steady, with the wind cutting in. would have preferred to have ridden in proper staggered formation, rather than right on the triumphs rear wheel, but my left mirrors right out, cant see a thing. was glad the trumpy in front seemed to be a slow bike...hate feeling like im slowing people down.

Dont worry about the others,if they want to pass they will,use to happen to me on the club rides till i got up to speed, never bothered anyone or not that they said anyway lol.Quite often i,ll sit at the back anyway,quite like just watching the other bikes as we roll along.Mike and heather are neat people,you,ll never have any problems with those two around.PS. Bout time you joined the club mate lol we,ve got 40 members now and 11 family members,every month there,s 1 or 2 new people joining.Cheers.

sunhuntin
30th August 2006, 12:05
Dont worry about the others,if they want to pass they will,use to happen to me on the club rides till i got up to speed, never bothered anyone or not that they said anyway lol.Quite often i,ll sit at the back anyway,quite like just watching the other bikes as we roll along.Mike and heather are neat people,you,ll never have any problems with those two around.PS. Bout time you joined the club mate lol we,ve got 40 members now and 11 family members,every month there,s 1 or 2 new people joining.Cheers.

yeh....has a huge thrill looking ahead and seeing this huge snake of bikes covering the road. specially that hilly bit past the lake...drop down and up the other side...awesome watching them drop out of sight and pop up again, lol.

yeh...have thought about joining, but what would be the advantages?