PDA

View Full Version : Selected Gear Indicator

Filterer
27th August 2006, 08:41
A few weeks ago the gear indicator for 4th stopped working on the GN250…
Now the 2nd light has also stopped working

The bike is only just over 1 year old and has been kept in a garage or under cover for its entire life so I wouldn’t think that it should be water damage.

Any suggestions on how to fix or is the bike just progressively teaching me to do without?

Second and fourth are probably the most used gears on the bike so maybe the lights have just burnt out, is this a simple case of replacing a couple of bulbs?

Thanks for any suggestions

Drum
27th August 2006, 08:46
You're better off without them.

That doesnt solve your problem though.

twinkle
27th August 2006, 09:02
It's just a case cheap LED's. Mine stopped working about 3 days after I got my bike, but then i managed to snap the gear indicator row clean off the top of the panel anyway :o
The only way to fix it is to solder some new LED's on, or replace the wiring loom $110ish(just for the part). As said you're better off without it.

Filterer
27th August 2006, 11:48
Thanks for the advice guys, yeah i know that i shouldn't need them and i've been getting on fine without them but im worried that the gf that has only done a little bit of riding may get a little lost without it and wuold also affect resale value.

So i might try and whip off the front panel and see if i can solder in some new LEDS

Maha
27th August 2006, 12:00
It seems to be a trait of the GN, it happen to the one i owned also, was a little pissed when it first happend but got over it, cos' i could count to 5...:yes:
they all came back except 5th when i sold it......:done:

Filterer
4th October 2006, 20:04
Just for anyone else that get the problem I found some bulbs at dick smith, $0.85 for "grain of wheat" bulbs or something similar, 12V 80mA that work, doesnt take to long to take apart the instrument cluster.

degrom
5th October 2006, 21:04
Just for anyone else that get the problem I found some bulbs at dick smith, $0.85 for "grain of wheat" bulbs or something similar, 12V 80mA that work, doesnt take to long to take apart the instrument cluster.

Brilliant!!! Will see if I can get some for my GN 2...

FROSTY
6th October 2006, 07:15
its a common thing with GNs to blow those leds
But has anyone ever taken the top off and replaced em??

Finn
6th October 2006, 07:25
Ducati's have a gear indicator (sticker) by the gear lever which I always thought was inconvenient and a bit dangerous.

Crisis management
8th October 2006, 20:13
Pfft...obviously doesn't ride a real Italian bike.
The sticker is in braille (and italian) and the Ducati Corse Spidi's have an extremely thin section by the left big toe, its simple, you feel the gear your in....

sunhuntin
13th October 2006, 17:31
my neutral light died on me not long after i bought the bike. service got it fixed though....and that was the first service.