PDA

View Full Version : ZXR 250C Front Fairing + Screen

L.L. Cool M
27th August 2006, 14:22
Hello, I crashed and now I need to get a new front fairing and screen for my ZXR 250C. I have two options:
1) Take it to Mt Eden Motorcycles, get them to find the new parts, get them to fit them and check the bike for other crash damage I haven't noticed.
2) Find the parts myself (eg: http://www.justfairings.co.nz/ZXR25091top.html) and find a cheap place to get it painted. Maybe get a screen off trademe.

The first option is the most hassle-free and safe. The second option is probably cheaper but involves more work and may not produce as good a results.

What would you do in this situation?
What is the likely amount I would have to pay for this?
Can you recommend any places?

Thanks for any advice.

Mattzxr750
28th August 2006, 17:48
i crashed my zxr750 not to long ago and i when for option A. Taking my bike to the shop and got then to get the parts for me. i needed a new side and front fairing.

I wish I didnt now as the new front cost me $1200 panited and a new side would have cost $950 panited.

As a new full set from justfairings.co.nz would have been $650 unpaint. if had of know i would have got them. But my plans are to get a set and paint them high gloss black.

I asked around and most said there workmanship was of a good quatity.

R6_kid
28th August 2006, 21:40
Get the justfairings one, it'll be fibreglass but a new one will cost you 3x as much. Screen from trademe isnt much cheaper than Mt Eden. Most painters can do a 99% colour match, and if its original Kawasaki green they can probably match is exactly.

Reflections bike refinishers will be able to do a top job but expect to pay accordingly. Otherwise send bugjuice a PM he knows a guy that was offering to do similar standard work to reflections but at a cheaper price.

L.L. Cool M
28th August 2006, 22:26
Cheers for the replies and pms, which I will get round to answering at some point. Yeah, looks like I'm going option 2 - get my own parts. Some notes:

Just Fairing - the front top part which I need doesn't look like it has holes to attach a screen to, and more importantly, large holes on the sides to attach the indicators to. Maybe the pictures are outdated, I e-mailed them anyway to find out.

Screens - yeah I thought they were supposed to be cheap at Mt Eden, but when I called them today they said $145, whereas I can get tinted ones off trademe for $85 (once they're back in stock).

I guess the trickiest thing for me is that the top fairing and mirrors bracket (which the dials also attach to) is quite badly bent. I can either try to bend it back to the correct position (which will be tricky getting the holes to align) or I can try to source one somewhere (also potentially tricky).

Anyway, it's giving me stuff to think about.

poorbastard
28th August 2006, 22:46
Thers a guy onm Trademe who sells clear screens for 65 bucks

poorbastard
28th August 2006, 22:48
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Frames-bodywork/auction-67801355.htm

R6_kid
28th August 2006, 23:06
mount aftermarket indicators, only another $50-65 for some small carbon ones.

SuperDave
28th August 2006, 23:07
That fella selling those screens is a pleasure to deal with, just got a nice medium sized double bubble smoked screen to fit my Gixxer and it looks the part, the only downside is doesn't have the recessed lip that the stock screen had, still looks great and I reckon well worth it for $120 which is $80 cheaper than the cheapest bike store retails them at.

As for the lack of indicator holes? You could just get yourself a set of mini indicators that attach by means of a bolt and nut. You could just drill a hole to suit yourself then.

texmo
28th August 2006, 23:09
Cheers for the replies and pms, which I will get round to answering at some point. Yeah, looks like I'm going option 2 - get my own parts. Some notes:

Just Fairing - the front top part which I need doesn't look like it has holes to attach a screen to, and more importantly, large holes on the sides to attach the indicators to. Maybe the pictures are outdated, I e-mailed them anyway to find out.

Screens - yeah I thought they were supposed to be cheap at Mt Eden, but when I called them today they said $145, whereas I can get tinted ones off trademe for $85 (once they're back in stock).

I guess the trickiest thing for me is that the top fairing and mirrors bracket (which the dials also attach to) is quite badly bent. I can either try to bend it back to the correct position (which will be tricky getting the holes to align) or I can try to source one somewhere (also potentially tricky).

Anyway, it's giving me stuff to think about.

Ring glen tell him you want the fairings with indactor holes, they have all the mounting points I got mine today are mint quality cos me $700 for front and sides.

Mattzxr750
29th August 2006, 18:04
or you could get rid of the ugly OEM indacators and get some cool new ones

texmo
29th August 2006, 18:12
or you could keep your re sale value

Mattzxr750
29th August 2006, 18:16
depens if your interested in the re-sale value

L.L. Cool M
29th August 2006, 19:42
I've heard a couple of people now mention how the JustFairings top fairings are a little difficult to line up and mount correctly. Especially getting the light to fit well. I think I have the time to muck around and get it working okay though, given I have to bend my messed-up fairing mount anyway.

I'd be interested to hear if you had any issues attaching it texmo.

I also wonder how much it costs to paint the top fairing one colour (in my case Kawasaki green)?

As to the indicator thing, I received an updated picture of the fairings and they have indicator holes as texmo mentioned. It saves $60 having to get new indicators, plus it means the front indicators match the back ones.

Mattzxr750
29th August 2006, 19:51
good luck with the new fairings. would be interested in seeing how it looks when its done

Deanos
11th September 2006, 19:11
I'd go with option two it will save you big $$$, also as far as getting the bike checked out for damage you could refer to the manual downloadable from this site:

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/812278

I recently bought a ZXR250 and I'm currently rebuilding and repainting it, the manual is very helpfull.