PDA

View Full Version : Video Editing Software

R6_kid
27th August 2006, 14:32
Whats the best program to use for editing/cutting/sampling video?

I've got some footage i want to piece together and make one video out of with a soundtrack and perhaps even some editing of the sound on the existing footage.

I have windows 2000 running so my only (legit) option at the moment is to go to uni and use Windows MovieMaker but i have only have limited space to use on those computers, and I'd also like the option of compressing it as it is currently over 45mb for a 2.45min video in 320x280 @ 30fps.

mat1138
27th August 2006, 17:11
Oh, ya marnis.

If you're using Windows; Avid, Vegas, and Premier Pro are pretty much the ones to go for.

onearmedbandit
27th August 2006, 17:16
Yep, Adobe Premiere Pro rocks, so easy to use as well but highly loaded with features.

Leong
27th August 2006, 18:17
Before getting my mac, I used Ulead Videostudio 7, which was VERY easy to use. You can download a fully functional trial version from ulead.com and if you are only wanting to do this one job for now, this may be all you need!! ( and not have to pay for it!) Premier Pro is vastly superior, and may be easy to use for some, but for me, the ulead one got the job done, and premier pro was too much effort and never got used.

dawnrazor
27th August 2006, 18:52
final cut pro -
avid express -
premier -
iMovie -

name your poison

mat1138
27th August 2006, 20:27
final cut pro -
avid express -
premier -
iMovie -

name your poison
Do you know what you're doing? Have you had any experience using any of those applications?

It's Avid Xpress, he has Windows so he can't use FCP or iMovie, and Premier is old and shit, you have to use Premier Pro. I also must point out to Leong that FCP and Premier Pro are so similar it wouldn't matter which one you used, it's dictated by your OS.

R6_kid
27th August 2006, 21:19
^^^tell that bitch to chill out...

i found a program called virtual dub which has allowed me to cut the unwanted parts out of the files, turn the audio volume down, and recompress them to between 1/3 and 1/2 the original size but still retaining decent quality.

It then dawned on me that we have a TV in/out as part of the video card and thats when i clicked that i had Ulead Video Studio 4.0 SE, so im having a crack with that for the meantime, but if anyone in auckland can hook me up for a 'trial' of Adobe Premier that'd be awesome.

DMNTD
27th August 2006, 21:25
Keen as to find out how you go with this man as have scored a vid camera that will be used mostly for riding and I'm keen as freak to create some styley DVD's in the future.
Keep us posted

sAsLEX
28th August 2006, 10:34
^^^tell that bitch to chill out...

i found a program called virtual dub which has allowed me to cut the unwanted parts out of the files, turn the audio volume down, and recompress them to between 1/3 and 1/2 the original size but still retaining decent quality.

It then dawned on me that we have a TV in/out as part of the video card and thats when i clicked that i had Ulead Video Studio 4.0 SE, so im having a crack with that for the meantime, but if anyone in auckland can hook me up for a 'trial' of Adobe Premier that'd be awesome.

cough* http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=adobe+premier+torrent&btnG=Search&meta= *cough

try some of these trail versions

SPman
28th August 2006, 17:54
try some of these trail versions

Is it an off road vid?

John Banks
28th August 2006, 18:05
Is it an off road vid?

Just need to fit a windscreen wiper to the camera and you're set.

Leong
28th August 2006, 19:46
I also must point out to Leong that FCP and Premier Pro are so similar it wouldn't matter which one you used, it's dictated by your OS.

I bought Final Cut Express ($500+)when I got the mac - never finished a project. Since I started using IMovie 6 and IDVD (both bundled with the mac)I've done all teh projects I wanted and more. Don't have the time to learn the more sophisticated software, and don't use it often enough to remember what I might have learnt!:shutup:

Big Dave
28th August 2006, 21:21
I bought Final Cut Express ($500+)when I got the mac - never finished a project. Since I started using IMovie 6 and IDVD (both bundled with the mac)I've done all teh projects I wanted and more. Don't have the time to learn the more sophisticated software, and don't use it often enough to remember what I might have learnt!:shutup:

Not being able to add tracks to imovie limits it a bit - but the entire iLife suite is a whole lot of fun.

Winston001
28th August 2006, 23:02
OK R6 - sounds like you know your way around editing software. That's important because my experience as a newbie was very hard work.

My kids use iMovie at primary school and instinctively knew what to do - up to a point. I've just spent 2 months making two movies. Used Ulead VideoStudio 6. Hadn't really understood that authoring is a separate process to editing but the penny dropped after countless visits to the net.

Used Nerovision 2 for creation of chapters and burning. One of the DVDs I made had to be NTSC so I spent about 2 weeks banging my head against a wall until I realised my camera used the PAL system. :gob: No problem - Nero converted it at the burn stage.

Incidentally, Nerovision has basic editing functions built in so I could bypass Ulead if I wanted to.

70 minutes of full definition digital video appears to have swallowed 14GB of my drive. About what I'd expect.

The main point is that it all worked and next time I'll do it in a couple of evenings. Interested that you used Virtual Dub - I'd thought that was for er.....cracks etc. :yes:

R6_kid
28th August 2006, 23:15
Virtual dub was real easy. Just did mouse over to see what each button was for, then flicked all the option to on and saw what was available. Being 19 means im a 'technology age' kid and sorta pick this stuff up like second nature.

Did a project at school in 7th form that took me 3hrs, improvising with some second rate MS shit ment for putting video into slideshows for PowerPoint (was MS Producer i think). Got an excellence for it which I was pretty chuffed with. Then i showed my English teacher and he told me he always thought I should have done media studies, but didnt tell me until 7th form, which was only 3 years late.

At the mo im just gonna put what i've edited up on to YouTube as its gonna be on my MySpace page for my mates to see.

When i get a hold of a bullet cam im gonna try and better Dr Sardonicus, but in the meantime just gonna work on my riding, wheelies, stoppies, and video editing skills.

The_Dover
29th August 2006, 09:07
I haven't done any of this sort of shit for ages, since my DVCam was stolen, but for quick and easy editing with decent results I used Pinnacle StudioDV (pretty old) but I had a crack at their new product and it was also pretty good.

Adobe products I find are just overloaded with features I'd never use and take too fucking long to learn. I have zero patience.

Videostudio was ok too.