PDA

View Full Version : Now that I know how to post photos..

jade
27th August 2006, 16:08
Here is some of the carbon fibre work Ive done..
On my aprilia rs250 - the carbon fibre fairing around the seat - I also made heelprotectors
and on my old NSR - the entire front fairing and everything on the sides painted black - I made a carbon fibre mould off my origianl fairings - put alot of hours into it and did my first finishing paint job

RantyDave
27th August 2006, 16:13
Dude,

That is fucking gorgeous. I've seen tons of carboning done in my time, but it rarely if ever comes up that well. Is it structural too? How many kilos did you manage to shed?

I might have a long term plan coming on....

Nice one. Well done.

Dave

SuperDave
27th August 2006, 16:15
Mate your work looks shit hot :2thumbsup
You make stuff to order?

jade
27th August 2006, 16:21
Yea I got it good enough on the first 2nd clear coat but I kept sanding it back 5 times in total and clearcoating it to get it as mirror like as possible
Im currently working fulltime as a boatbuilder (building team nz's 100% carbon fibre) americas cup boat.
I AM however looking to do some projects - I see you are on the northshore - as am I... pm me with the details of what you had in mind

R6_kid
27th August 2006, 16:23
are you able to get hold of carbon fibre tubing relatively cheap? Could be keen to make an exhaust, and possibly a front fender too.

SuperDave
27th August 2006, 16:29
Was just thinking about a front guard. They sell for around $350 in the stores which is quite steep but I would imagine that it would take you quite some time to manufacture yourself to the same standard so probably not worth your while.

RantyDave
27th August 2006, 16:31
building team nz's 100% carbon fibre
Yeah, makes sense - I used to be a sailing freak of sorts and hence got to see both some beautiful carbon work as well as strips of unidirectional glued on with what appeared to be bogeys. Mate of mine used to build AC masts - they were really quite something.

So did you bash it together at work? What basic technique was used here - did you go all the way to a female mold? Vac bagged it? What did you use as the polish/laquer/finish?

Dave

jade
27th August 2006, 16:32
Was just thinking about a front guard. They sell for around $350 in the stores which is quite steep but I would imagine that it would take you quite some time to manufacture yourself to the same standard so probably not worth your while.

If you gave me the original fender - I would make it to the same standard for 275

jade
27th August 2006, 16:38
Yeah, makes sense - I used to be a sailing freak of sorts and hence got to see both some beautiful carbon work as well as strips of unidirectional glued on with what appeared to be bogeys. Mate of mine used to build AC masts - they were really quite something.

So did you bash it together at work? What basic technique was used here - did you go all the way to a female mold? Vac bagged it? What did you use as the polish/laquer/finish?

Dave
I just used the original fairing as a mould - waxed it up - used a carbon double bias 400gm (cdb 400)and a carbon twill 200gm - (what you see)
I used epoxy resin and when it was curing - (got tacky) I dabbed more resin over it so I could sand it fair without sanding the cloth
went up thru the grits of sandpaper from 80 to 320 - then clear coated it- let it cure over night - sand with 320 then clear coat - did that 5 times and then she was done
I used epivar clear coat - it has uv properties to prevent fade
It should be known that epoxy resin has no uv properties and will turn yellow from over exposure to the sun - thus the clearcoat

SuperDave
27th August 2006, 16:39
I'll keep that in mind. Maybe in a few weeks time, I'm low on cash now, just bought some race fairings and gonna need some new tyres soon, unlike 250's decent tyres to suit a 600 are around $550 :crazy:

Just out of interest, how long would it take you to make a front guard?
Also, would you be able to make it identical to the orginal one, or would it be ever so fractionally out? I don't know much about moulding that's why I'm asking.

jade
27th August 2006, 17:04
I'll keep that in mind. Maybe in a few weeks time, I'm low on cash now, just bought some race fairings and gonna need some new tyres soon, unlike 250's decent tyres to suit a 600 are around $550 :crazy:

Just out of interest, how long would it take you to make a front guard?
Also, would you be able to make it identical to the orginal one, or would it be ever so fractionally out? I don't know much about moulding that's why I'm asking.

If I was making it straight off your one it would be a little bigger - only by the thickness of the laminate tho - a mm or 2.
However what I would most likely do is prep your guard to an acceptable level - wax it then take a fibreglass mould off it - i would pop this off and then lay my carbon inside this mould, that way i could pop the carbon out of the fibreglass - finish the carbon which would be exactly the same size as the original - then i would be left with a fibreglass mould to lay another one up in
I work fulltime - but with work I could probably do it in a week from when I get the mudguard off you