PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Sportmax GP and Qualifier tyres

R6_kid
27th August 2006, 17:11
Anybody got first hand experience with either of these tyres, particularly the Qualifiers?

Just looking at options for medium-fast road riding and trackdays after i wear out the M3's i have at the moment.

How would the qualifiers compare to the Pirelli Supercorsa Pro?

cowpoos
27th August 2006, 20:03
Anybody got first hand experience with either of these tyres, particularly the Qualifiers?

Just looking at options for medium-fast road riding and trackdays after i wear out the M3's i have at the moment.

How would the qualifiers compare to the Pirelli Supercorsa Pro?
you don't really need a tyre that good....ask death what he rides on!

R6_kid
29th August 2006, 20:59
just interested to see what people think of them. What does death use?

loosebruce
31st August 2006, 11:43
Death is running teh Sportsmax, also known as 209GP's i run them as well, only i run into a lot of set up issues with the pair on, with a bike as light and fast as mine straight line stability was a real issue and requires some carfeul setting up and it helps as if you know what you're doing, in hidsight the mid grip in the corners is unreal by far the best tyre i have ever used, better than the pirelli slicks i normally run no question about it.
They also retail at over $1000 a set new and they are hard to get hold of, Forbes bring em in for Shirrifs and Simth and a few others who are both racing with them.
Warm up time is good and yeah like i said with teh right set up they are unreal in terms of grip.
I've gone to running the 209 on the front and a pirelli slick on the rear this has calmed the bike down and made it more rideable on the straight, it works both ways by running say a pirelli slick front and the dunlop rear which i'm trying next week at taupo to try and find good exit grip and a better set up on the rear, trail and error. I've been using differnt profile rears from 190/55 to 190/60 and now 195/70's still on the same 120/70 front but the diff between the dunlop and other tyres actual profile is quite different the dunlop run a steeper profile giving the tyre fast turn in and supurb grip but less stability, dunlop has just brought out a new 125/70 front and have changed the rear back to a 195/60.

The Quailfiers, havent heard much about, as good as any road tyre out there but maybe not the best, heard not very high mileage from them for med-fast road riders. Rears come in a 190/55 but half the sizes are no good for you as you're on a 600 runnign a 180/55, in saying that i know some of the top 600 aussie guys are running 190's now Sam Smith runs the 190/60 209 on his R6, Shirrifs tested both 180/55 and 190/60 but believe he's opted for the 180/55 now.

Personally i wouldn't hesitate to try a 190/?? on a 600, providing i can get the clearnace in the swingarm, i'm even thinking about trying a 190/55 on a 5.5 inch rim on the 1000 and see how that goes. All i know is there's not enough track time :(

The supercorsa PRO looks the same but is a road based tyre designed to work at road temps, it's okay for the track, but not as good as the SC0,1,2 series.