PDA

View Full Version : In The Nicesest Possible Way - When Is A Squeak Not A Squeak.

Terminated
27th August 2006, 20:13
I suppose the short answer is - "When it is no longer there."

From my other thread I thought for sure I may have had a speedo cable problem - but No.

Brother in law came around - I sat on the seat with the bike on the stand and he spun the front wheel. Well it appeared to 'grab' in a common spot on the disk. He took it for a ride and you could hear the squeak quite clearly. As I had the past few days. Then out of the blue it disappeared.

I was toying with the idea of perhaps getting some 'disk cleaner' is there such a product?

Forgive me, but I did hear the squeak, I did truly, it was there I heard it - and now it's gone.

Any thoughts - in the nicest possible way.

Heads Up and Enjoy

twinkle
27th August 2006, 21:23
You didn't have to get mucky taking things to bits :lol: Good on you for being curious enough to poke around for the problem :yes:

My brakes squeak too when I'm going slow sometimes, if you find a good way to stop it let me know. Maybe it's something to do with there being no holes in the brake disc? :confused:

apteryx_haasti
27th August 2006, 21:37
I suppose the short answer is - "When it is no longer there."
Brother in law came around - I sat on the seat with the bike on the stand and he spun the front wheel. Well it appeared to 'grab' in a common spot on the disk. He took it for a ride and you could hear the squeak quite clearly. As I had the past few days. Then out of the blue it disappeared.

Can your magic brother-in-law come round and get rid of the squeak in my GN (there since the 1000 km service - what's that about)?

Thanks!

Terminated
27th August 2006, 21:37
Maybe it's something to do with there being no holes in the brake disc? :confused:

Will keep an ear out for you and let you know if the squeak returns. Meanwhile could take to the disk with a drill but then again.....:yes:

Terminated
27th August 2006, 21:46
Can your magic brother-in-law come round and get rid of the squeak in my GN (there since the 1000 km service - what's that about)?

Thanks!

Gidday A_H, give the local bike shop a call and see if they have some disk cleaner product, I am not sure of brand etc, but I understand that there may be something that you can give the disk a clean with. Then again perhaps I could send the bro in law around:innocent:

Heads Up and Enjoy

Terminated
27th August 2006, 21:49

Thanks!

A-H, I will trip 5000 this week coming. The Makara run last week was awesome really pretty in its own delightful way. Noticed in the paper today though that the road was closed with flooding.

apteryx_haasti
27th August 2006, 21:50
Gidday A_H, give the local bike shop a call and see if they have some disk cleaner product

Yeah, I'll do that. It doesn't seem to affect the braking or anything. And it seems to disappear at faster speeds. It's just that it's really really annoying!

Perhaps it will also magically disappear. Here's hoping!

A_H

Edit: 5000 - that's awesome work! I am coming up to 2000 - so I've definitely sped up. It took me almost 2 months to get my first 1200 and I've got the next 800 in 3 weeks! That's commuting for ya. SOunds like your kays have been a bit more enjoyable to add to the bike, though, Buck.

Cheers.

twinkle
27th August 2006, 21:58
Meanwhile could take to the disk with a drill but then again.....:yes:
Well i'm certainly not afraid to :p but someone told me that the holes need to be cast into the disk or else it might crack when it gets hot. I still haven't got around to asking someone who would know for sure. Marking and drilling the holes on a drill press would be fairly straightforward.

Terminated
27th August 2006, 22:00
Yeah, I'll do that. It doesn't seem to affect the braking or anything.

A_H get somebody to sit on the bike while on the stand, then spin the wheel and see if you can find a 'common spot' that may squeak. All disks are not 100% true etc, and you may have a bit of gundge on the inside of the disk, that we don't oridinarly look for.

Terminated
27th August 2006, 22:11
Well i'm certainly not afraid to :p but someone told me that the holes need to be cast into the disk or else it might crack when it gets hot. I still haven't got around to asking someone who would know for sure. Marking and drilling the holes on a drill press would be fairly straightforward.

Twinkle, seriously for me it is something I wouldn't do.........

Squeak the Rat
28th August 2006, 08:47
No comment.

twinkle
26th September 2006, 12:26
I found out about drilling the brake discs. They can crack. Usually around the outer edge of the disc.

Flyingpony
26th September 2006, 15:30
My bike front brake used to squeek when it was brand new. To get rid of this, try periodic heavy braking from 60 to zero and it will go away for a week or two. Once the pads and rotors wear some more, it will be gone forever. Never had any noise problem with the back brake though.