PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Harley-Davidson XL 883R Sportster

matt77
28th August 2006, 10:53
Hi - Contemplating part-exchaning my current bike for this, just wondered if anyone has one, how it runs/handles and can they be used for day to day stuff?

Cheers

scumdog
28th August 2006, 16:57
Hi - Contemplating part-exchaning my current bike for this, just wondered if anyone has one, how it runs/handles and can they be used for day to day stuff?

Cheers
Won't be up to the Ducati standards but should be a reliable and predictable handling if not over-powerful bike for day-to-day use.
And they're quite thrifty on gas.

Big Dave
28th August 2006, 17:06

Cheers

Ideal for day to day stuff and feeling good about yourself riding it. Great fun bike with endless bling.

SlashWylde
28th August 2006, 18:42
Some good comparisons here:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/budget_v_twin_bike_comparison/

Helped me when I was shopping for an 800.

Scotty
28th August 2006, 19:04
Great for day to day use, the sportys are good around town.

Shadows
29th August 2006, 00:22
Something to ponder, you can get so much more only a couple of years old for less than a brand new 883R, and you won't get hit with the couple of grand depreciation that comes with the privilege of wheeling it off the showroom floor... in fact you could probably ride it around for a couple of years for little more than the interest payments when it comes to onselling it.
Try doing that on a Jap bike (or pretty much any other bike for that matter)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=66979128

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=67097544

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=67736289

popelli
29th August 2006, 00:37

Cheers

will do everything that you want but why???

620 duke will out perform 883 sporty

if you want to go to a sporty go for a 1200 or knock the 883 out to a 1200 otherwise you will be disappointed

matt77
29th August 2006, 09:30
I had my first ever accident on Friday at the end of the Rimutaka's on that bend and I think its knocked my confidence. Coming from the UK, the thing I've noticed is that there is absolutely no tolerence for speeding here, not to mention a lower national speed limit.

This has kinda made me think whats the point in having a bike if you can't push it with out getting busted by the old bill so started looking at HD's over the weekend as something to enjoy a cruise on.....

davereid
29th August 2006, 16:27
Yeah, thats why I got a sporty. It's actually great fun to ride, and its comfy at legal speeds. And the lazy power is great around town. I've got an FZR400 as well, and I have to be careful not to stall it, but the harley is great, just lugs off the line.

I get 65mpg easy, even more if I am a little careful with the gas tap.

The small tank is not that great - I'm looking for gas with a real keen eye by 220 km, but it only costs a few bob to fill.

Worst thing is I worry about it getting pinched.

HenryDorsetCase
29th August 2006, 16:48
XL1200R would be better IMO. also, you'd want 2005 model year on, surely, (for the rubber engine mounts and slightly more power).?

I really like them but thats all I can add to the discussion...

Lou Girardin
29th August 2006, 16:54
You might get bored with the 'sedate' power delivery. 1200 kits aren't too dear.

Big Dave
29th August 2006, 18:47
the thing I've noticed is that there is absolutely no tolerence for speeding here, not to mention a lower national speed limit.

This has kinda made me think whats the point in having a bike if you can't push it with out getting busted by the old bill so started looking at HD's over the weekend as something to enjoy a cruise on.....

I'm currently putting together a Kiwi Rider article with exactly those sentiments in mind - presenting numerous 'slow down and have fun' options.

jase the ace
29th August 2006, 20:08
I'm currently putting together a Kiwi Rider article with exactly those sentiments in mind - presenting numerous 'slow down and have fun' options.
you would be better off with a push bike than that hog . a good head wind stuffs them . i guess u wont ever get a speeding ticket . cheers jase the ace .

davereid
29th August 2006, 20:34
Yer missing the point jase.. lots of bikes are great fun and can't go 300km/hr.
And having the greatest handling bike in the world is pointless, if its resale value next year is zero, and you don't want it cos there is a faster one.

Thats why bikes like the lil' sporty are great.

They are practical transport, a comfy seating position, good commuters with low fuel usage.

Capable of a weekend fang with your mates, and just as much fun as your superbike, even more on a twisty road where you have to use skill, not horsepower to keep up with the group.

Want to take the missus or mistress to a winery or a dirty weekend - the sporty is your bike.

She'll love it cos its a Harley, its low so she can wear her heels and its comfy as all hell. An the guys at the hotel will help you park it safely in the foyer. They park the GSX-Rs by the wheeliebins.

And it cops more admirers in an hour parked at the cafe, than a superbike gets in its whole 6- months at the top lifespan.

So, ride your superbike and enjoy it for what it is, a great piece of engineering, reliable, fast and currently what you want. One day you'll want to enjoy a bike without seeing 155 on the speedo - we may even see you on a cruiser !

Big Dave
29th August 2006, 22:07
you would be better off with a push bike than that hog . a good head wind stuffs them . i guess u wont ever get a speeding ticket . cheers jase the ace .

Atchally,
It's ~because~ I've got far call points left!

Pwalo
30th August 2006, 08:12
I've got a cheap GS500. Seriously I don't think there's a lot wrong with the modern HDs. It's not my style because I find the riding position rather awkward. Have you considered a Triumph Bonnevillle, or similar?

Might do the same as the Sport, and suit you if you've been riding sportier types of bikes.

I do understand where you're coming from though. 100k is pretty easy on most non cruiser's, and just where they start to feel comfortable.

Matt
30th August 2006, 08:54
I rode an '05 883 last year when I was on holiday - great bikes, especially if the weather is nice :sunny: - not the fastest thing around, but certainly enough speed for NZ and it all seemed pretty well screwed together.

Having said that, I learned to ride on a GS500 and I liked that too :gob:

Matt

scumdog
30th August 2006, 09:16

And we AAAALLLLL want speeding tickets, right?

No offence shag but your comment is a troll - or a classic cliche by a noob with a small bike that may well have never ridden a Sporty.:yes:

The_Dover
30th August 2006, 09:23
I might get a Sporty as a commuter.

It can't be any slower than the train.

Shadows
30th August 2006, 11:21
I might get a Sporty as a commuter.

It can't be any slower than the train.

It can.. depends on how you ride it

The_Dover
30th August 2006, 11:29
It can.. depends on how you ride it

30k's bro but it still takes me 1.5 hours door to door.

or 35 mins by bike in rush hour.

but it kills tyres on the gixx and I don't wanna clock up lots of shitty pointless k's on it.

editing bastard.

Big Dave
30th August 2006, 11:43
30k's bro but it still takes me 1.5 hours door to door.

or 35 mins by bike in rush hour.

but it kills tyres on the gixx and I don't wanna clock up lots of shitty pointless k's on it.

editing bastard.

Not to mention it's a shit bike for the job.

Comfortably sitting bolt upright so you can see over the cars and the traffic further ahead makes more sense than the racing hunch.

And a motor with a more tractable low down power and torque curve is also much easier on bike and rider than a gp motor which doesn't sing till 7,000.

Sporty is great for the job - not as good as going flat maggot.

Personally favour the motard style for city work now.

Big Dave
30th August 2006, 11:52
I've got a cheap GS500. Seriously I don't think there's a lot wrong with the modern HDs. It's not my style because I find the riding position rather awkward. Have you considered a Triumph Bonnevillle, or similar?

I Luff Bonnevilles.
And this beauty:
http://homepage.mac.com/david_cohen_design/PhotoAlbum5.html

The_Dover
30th August 2006, 11:53
Yeah, I'd like something motardish.

I love the gixxer for commuting, it's got all the lowdown balls in the world and I find it fairly comfy cos 20k's of my commute is motorway, 10k's country road and probably 2 k's town. But I hate to think what it's costing in tyres and mileage.

Maybe I should stick to the train or get a GN? Unless anyone has a cheap motard going?

Big Dave
30th August 2006, 12:12
Yeah, I'd like something motardish.

I love the gixxer for commuting, it's got all the lowdown balls in the world and I find it fairly comfy cos 20k's of my commute is motorway, 10k's country road and probably 2 k's town. But I hate to think what it's costing in tyres and mileage.

Maybe I should stick to the train or get a GN? Unless anyone has a cheap motard going?

I was talking about city and peak times. The crouch still doesn't work for me. Never has, unless its a track day.

I even quite enjoyed the Vespa 250ie for city use - nailing it everywhere is a good way to ride.

We used to be able to do that on higest performance bikes too - not any more.

buellbabe
30th August 2006, 14:31
Just curious, why an 883 and not a 1200?
The 883's are great but the 1200 has got so much more grunt! That said either of them are fun bikes and are go anywhere do anything bikes.
I had a 92 883 Hugger for awhile and the top speed was 180kph... with a headwind about 150kph!!! So what if its not gonna do 300kph? When do you NEED to? I get sick of people going on about how fast their bikes are when they rarely take them to the limit and if they do its only in a straight line...

Sportys are excellent bikes. Also I agree with a comment made about getting a 2nd hand one. In my experience ( I know ALOT of HD riders ) Sportys are quite often purchsed as an introductory Harley cos they are affordable or as a learner bike for 'the missus'... the bug bites big time and the Sporty gets traded pretty quickly for something bigger so you can get a good 2nd hand one with buggerall mileage on the clock... Not saying that the bigger Harleys are better, its just that there can be a bit of stigma attached to being a guy on a "Skirtster"... not all blokes are man enuf to handle the teasing from their mates!

Big Dave
30th August 2006, 14:48
"Skirtster"... not all blokes are man enuf to handle the teasing from their mates!

First set of corners negates that bullshit.

buellbabe
30th August 2006, 14:53
Couldn't agree more Big D but sadly there ARE still people out there with that narrow-minded attitude.
They don't know what they're missing!

Divot
30th August 2006, 15:21
Go for it and buy yourself a sportster!!!! I did just over three years ago and have never regretted it. Brought mine 2nd hand with 18,500k on it and now go 75,000k on the clock. Took it to the South Island in 2004 for two weeks and had a great time, my riding mate had a 1990 ULTRA and I had no problems keeping up with him at crusing speeds. Yep thy may not be the fastest bike out there but they handle beeter than any other HD's (except the Buell). If youwant a new entry level HD then the 883 is great. The 1200 is a bit faster than the 883 but at crusing speed you wont notice the diffrence. The 2007 sporties have rubber mounted motors and fuel injection. Wait till the start of October and go to your nearest HD dealer for the release of the 2007 models and take one fro a ride. PM me if you want any more info.

Shadows
30th August 2006, 16:16
editing bastard.

Hehe yeah I know, I thought I was quoting somebody else for some reason. Need more sleep!

Big Dave
30th August 2006, 16:49
Couldn't agree more Big D but sadly there ARE still people out there with that narrow-minded attitude.
They don't know what they're missing!

Here's how to shut them up. Say:
'OK - race you. You can even say go.'

End of conversation or another easy win.

popelli
31st August 2006, 07:00
also, you'd want 2005 model year on, surely, (for the rubber engine mounts and slightly more power).?

slightly more power, harley have claimed that for about 20 years in a row ???

however the rubber mount frames are aboput 50lbs heavier therefore the rubber mount framed sporties all other things being equal will be slower

Pwalo
31st August 2006, 08:15
I Luff Bonnevilles.
And this beauty:
http://homepage.mac.com/david_cohen_design/PhotoAlbum5.html

That's the one I was thinking of. A chap I know down here has one in yellow. I'm very tempted.

07fatboy
31st August 2006, 13:59

Cheers

Have you considered a 1200...only have praises for a good camed and carbed earlier say 2000 up model...they go hard when you want to ,fairly nimble depending on your experience ,and sound great ...nothing like lane splitting at the lights on a 1200. could posibbly get a good used low k's 1200 for the same cash as a nubie 883

buellbabe
31st August 2006, 14:09
Agree and suggested 2nd hand previously...
I used to have a Sportster Sport... went like a cut-cat... and running on AV gas but otherwise STANDARD it did sub 12's at Meremere.

scumdog
31st August 2006, 14:27
Agree and suggested 2nd hand previously...
I used to have a Sportster Sport... went like a cut-cat... and running on AV gas but otherwise STANDARD it did sub 12's at Meremere.

I've got a Sportster Sport for sale, mint-as, can't say if it will do sub 12 second 1/4 mile though.:innocent:

The_Dover
31st August 2006, 14:31
I've got a Sportster Sport for sale, mint-as, can't say if it will do sub 12 second 1/4 mile though.:innocent:

I'll give you a homemade haggis and a bottle of Aberlour for it?

I might even sweeten the deal with some oatcakes and orcadian cheddar.

scumdog
31st August 2006, 14:34
I'll give you a homemade haggis and a bottle of Aberlour for it?

I might even sweeten the deal with some oatcakes and orcadian cheddar.

Eat that lot and you'll NEVER do 12 seconds - except to the loo!!

The_Dover
31st August 2006, 14:43
If I took 12 second to get there in the morning I'd be in deep shit.

literally.

Crazy Steve
31st August 2006, 14:48

You probaly can`t even say if it would even FCKN start..

Harleys are for men with little dicks....

I dont ride one because ive got a big one(maybe its cause in black)

Crazy Steve..

Shadows
31st August 2006, 16:29
Harleys are for men with little dicks....

I dont ride one because ive got a big one(maybe its cause in black)

Crazy Steve..

I wouldn't know, unlike some people I'm not insecure enough to spend my time comparing man tackle.
The Mrs. certainly hasn't complained (and neither has anybody else :shifty: ).

Big Dave
31st August 2006, 16:56
I wouldn't know, unlike some people I'm not insecure enough to spend my time comparing man tackle.
The Mrs. certainly hasn't complained (and neither has anybody else ).

IIRC 'Miami' Steve Van Zandt joined the E-street band from playing with Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes.
The Jukes produced some of the great music to come out of the grassroots reaction to punk/post punk in New Jersey.
Their version of The Fever is a all time R&B standard.
They also penned the immortal lyrics:

It ain’t the meat it’s the motion
That makes your daddy wanna rock
It’s the movement it isn’t the stock

Well, I got a girl that’s so darn thin
there ain’t much of her but bones and skin
one thing about her I can understand
she wraps all around me like a rubber band, baby

Well, I want a girl who’s built real fat
Kenny don’t like to see ‘em like that
But I like to see ‘em big and tall
The bigger the come the harder they fall

Well, I want someone who feels like they got to have love
Love to look at the stars above
My little baby, I want you to know
She’ll bring me home all of her dough

It ain’t the meat, uhm uhm uhm
It ain’t the meat, I say the action

Bring it down one time
It ain’t the meat, I say the movement, girl
It ain’t the meat, it’s the action

scumdog
31st August 2006, 18:43
The Mrs. certainly hasn't complained (and neither has anybody else :shifty: ).

Wot he sed.

I've TWO Harleys and have not noticed any dick-shrinkage since I went from Honda and Suzuki to Harley.

As far as what size I am compared to other? Why bother?
It's like comparing different bike brands to see who is 'biggest' - pointless.

davereid
31st August 2006, 19:03
I prefer my Harley, cos its got highway pegs... on my Yamaha my knees are up too high and the end of my c0ck gets jammed between the gas tank and my knee

gav
31st August 2006, 22:06
Not to mention it's a shit bike for the job.

Comfortably sitting bolt upright so you can see over the cars and the traffic further ahead makes more sense than the racing hunch.

And a motor with a more tractable low down power and torque curve is also much easier on bike and rider than a gp motor which doesn't sing till 7,000.

Sporty is great for the job - not as good as going flat maggot.

Personally favour the motard style for city work now.
Something like a Ducati Multistrada maybe? Even a 620, perhaps....
Best thing to do, is take one for a test ride. Personally I'd suggest staying away from corners or hills, or maybe getting some riding lessons. I'm picking its not the bike that caused you to crash.....

scumdog
31st August 2006, 22:30
Something like a Ducati Multistrada maybe? Even a 620, perhaps....
Best thing to do, is take one for a test ride. Personally I'd suggest staying away from corners or hills, or maybe getting some riding lessons. I'm picking its not the bike that caused you to crash.....

Yeah, like you have riden a lot of HDs??

98tls
31st August 2006, 22:51
Rode my mates old sporty a while back....we give each other shit about our bikes and one day he said fuck it take the thing for a ride....away i went with the missus on the back for a cruise over the pig-root....at first i thought FARK this but once i stooped trying to ride it like my TL it started to dawn on me that this thing wasnt to bad...is a 1200 so torque to burn and the hills didnt bother it to much...we had a great day out and yea one day there will be one or similar...was tempted to tell the mate i enjoyed it but then hed never shut up so just said yea okish.....the missus loved it ....leanin back enjoying the ride instead of hanging on for dear life...:innocent: shit that sounds a bit suspect really

scumdog
31st August 2006, 22:57
Rode my mates old sporty a while back....we give each other shit about our bikes and one day he said fuck it take the thing for a ride....away i went with the missus on the back for a cruise over the pig-root....at first i thought FARK this but once i stooped trying to ride it like my TL it started to dawn on me that this thing wasnt to bad...is a 1200 so torque to burn and the hills didnt bother it to much...we had a great day out and yea one day there will be one or similar...was tempted to tell the mate i enjoyed it but then hed never shut up so just said yea okish.....the missus loved it ....leanin back enjoying the ride instead of hanging on for dear life...:innocent: shit that sounds a bit suspect really

Respect.

A mate and I swapped bikes, he had a VFR and I had a Sporty.
At the end of the ride he said 'what I need is a bike that handes/rides like mine on the open road - BUT looks and sounds like yours as soon as we get into town - sort of like that car on the TV series that morphed.'

I guess that explains it all eh?

98tls
31st August 2006, 23:05
I saw a late model sporty at the last Hororata rally..cant remember if it was an 883 or 1200 but shit it looked nice in those old flatracker colours..sort of orange/red and white...very nice

scumdog
31st August 2006, 23:19
I saw a late model sporty at the last Hororata rally..cant remember if it was an 883 or 1200 but shit it looked nice in those old flatracker colours..sort of orange/red and white...very nice

They're 883 but look as cool-as with that colour and handle-bar combination.

My 1200 is very close in style etc to those bikes, just the colour is different - and the twin-disc front end and adjustable suspension - and the 'grunt' of course..

98tls
31st August 2006, 23:24
They're 883 but look as cool-as with that colour and handle-bar combination.

My 1200 is very close in style etc to those bikes, just the colour is different - and the twin-disc front end and adjustable suspension - and the 'grunt' of course.. If that 883 was mine id be looking for a set of high pipes ala flatracker style just to finish it off..although that might conflict with having someone on the back..