PDA

View Full Version : Push starting a scooter?

awesker
28th August 2006, 16:48
Ok well, I saw someone trying to kick start a scooter it was one of those 50cc suzuki something.. looked pretty recent but I know sweet nothing when it comes to scooters, turned out the battery had died so the electric start was useless and I think she flooded it doing a half assed kick starts and having the throttle fully open... anyway how can you start a scooter that has no clutch? any tips? or just keep cranking the kick start?

cheers,
nick

hXc
28th August 2006, 17:13
Those suzuki's don't flood. They are vacuum carbed so the throttle does absolutely nothing while the engine isn't running. My mate push started his SJ50 the other day some how.

You can also take the belt cover off, and get a drill with a socket type thing on it and start it that way at the crank. We started a scooter at school like that the other day. Simple.

Flyingpony
28th August 2006, 17:14
just keep cranking the kick start?
You've answered your own question.

They use a centrifugal clutch and it's excited based upon engine rpm, so push starting won't work.

If the battery is flat, it still should've started first or 2nd kick. There's no need to twist the throttle.

Motoracer
28th August 2006, 18:32
It's like push starting an Automatic car (on average you need to be going at about 40kmph in drive with the ignition on).

Just find a really steep hill. Switch the key on and she'll fire, if you are going fast enough. No tricks or mess needed. Easy as pie.

awesker
28th August 2006, 18:44
cool, cheers lads!

R6_kid
28th August 2006, 18:45
I think she flooded it doing a half assed kick starts and having the throttle fully open...

so was she hot nick?

awesker
28th August 2006, 18:57
what the fuck Decon? you change your name?

and nah, she wasnt.. which is why i didnt offer any help ;)

R6_kid
28th August 2006, 18:59
what the fuck Decon? you change your name?

and nah, she wasnt.. which is why i didnt offer any help ;)

yeh bro, good to see you got some standards man!

awesker
28th August 2006, 19:14
hahaha!
your talking to me about standards..
good one bro! :rofl:

:p

fast135
29th August 2006, 12:11
pushing wont work.
it will only spin the clutch bell and not the shoes.
if you take the trans cover off and look at the rear of the scoot u can see the clutch setup. theres no way that you can push start it.

davereid
29th August 2006, 14:18
Fast is right - there is no way you can push start a scooter with a varitor transmission and a centrifugal clutch.

If they have a flat battery it doesnt matter, they should kick start no worries. CDI has its own winding on the stator - doesnt need the battery.

Motoracer
29th August 2006, 14:33
When I was 13, I used to ride this around the block and I used to push start it. It was an Auto.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1564&d=1081729561

bungbung
29th August 2006, 15:40
When I was 13, I used to ride this around the block and I used to push start it. It was an Auto.

I can't see how you can make a centrifugal clutch engage by pushing a scoot, no matter how fast you are pushing unless while rolling down a hill, you gave a big kick to engage the clutch (and hope it stays engaged).

FROSTY
29th August 2006, 15:47
mate --dont frigging bother --if ya cant kick start it--go back to basics and figure out why. If its a fairly new scooter and it was starting fine then be logical.
Is it outa gas??
Is the battery really flat or has an electrical connection come loose somewhere?
has she foulded the plug?
remember the basics--air/spark/fuel/compression--if its got all of those its gonna go

fast135
29th August 2006, 16:04

that looks like a piece of poo. but at least it got u into bikes.
that also isnt CVT , but an older type of auto. so yeah i guess ya can push start non CVT trans scoots.

and anyway for the scoot that wont start take the plug out and check for spark. then fuel and so on.
maybe get a can of CRC Engine start and see if that helps things.