PDA

View Full Version : OAB Race Report - Sth Island Cup Rd3

onearmedbandit
28th August 2006, 19:38
Had my first race on the weekend, although things didn't quite turn out as I expected. Being my first time in a competitive event and riding my thou for the first time on the track, and my first time on slicks, I decided I'd take it easy and enter Clubmans. My lap times on the 750 suggested I would do ok, and with the new bike and slicks I was expecting to only do better. However come signing in time on Sunday morning I was informed there would be no clubmans class, and if I wanted to race it was F1 or nothing! Well imdying and I had spent a lot of time preparing the bike for this day, I'd got the day off work, and after Bren convinced me I'd be okay I put pen to paper and signed up for an arse-kicking.

Practice.

Got maybe 4-5 laps in this session, with almost every bike on the track. Treated it like a track day initially, but after realising this was no track day I decided to push on and get used to the bike and the slicks. It had been ages since I was last on Ruapuna (last year) so not only did I have to get used to the bike, but try to remember my 'lines' and braking points. Came back in feeling a bit lost, I wasn't pushing hard enough to get any feedback from the tyres but I was still upright so things weren't all bad.

Race 1.

With every butterfly in Christchurch in my stomach I got on the dummy grid and did my warmup lap. Came back around to the start and took my place on the 2nd row of the grid. Knowing that 95% of the riders in this class were racers on race bikes with slicks, I expected to be on my own very quickly. However when the lights went out and I dropped the clutch I found myself heading into turn 1 with everyone else. Not wanting to get mixed up with the big boys fighting for points and using this race as extended practice I backed off entering into turn 2 and allowed everyone in front to sort their shit out. Within a lap I found myself racing on my own, the fast boys pulling out a good gap and the slower guys some distance behind me. So I concentrated on discovering what slicks can do and tidying my lines up. Finished with a massive 2nd through to 5th gear wheelie exiting the sweeper and down the front straight, couldn't let the spectators down! Was sure I hadn't finished last but as I pulled off the track I saw no other bikes on the track. Turns out I was the last bike on the lead lap, 3 other riders were 'a lap' down on me. Started to feel a lot more confident with the slicks. The only person to pass me was Bren on his Erion Racing Blade.

Race 2.

A lot of the same as race 1 actually, another good start put me pretty much into the same position as race 1 entering the first tight right. 'Held' Bren off for a couple of laps before he reeled me in, along with some other race bike. Finished in pretty much the same place as race 1 as well, along with the same 'front-end problem' over the line. I was expecting to get warned over it, but apparently some of the officials were impressed, along with some of the spectators judging by the number of people pointing at me! Improved my lap times by about 3 seconds, and still was in one piece and not last, so well happy.

Race 3.

Was feeling a lot better about my progress now on the bike and slicks, so headed out with the mindset to push harder even still. Naffed the start a bit with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear wheelies but managed to stay with the pack again. However I still elected to keep out of their (the F1 riders) way as they wre competing for points, and also were on hot tyres. Settled into my pace again, slower than the fast guys but quicker than the rest. Really started to get into the groove on the slicks, I never want to ride on road tyres again. Was consistantly scraping the fairing through the fast and slower corners, I need to get some grip tape on my tank so I can hang off more and go faster through the bends, my ground clearance was limiting me on some corners. Might need some new toe sliders as well, they're farked. Bren had a few issues with his front brakes so slowed a bit, allowing me to hang with someone for a while and pace myself a bit better. Was now hitting corners at speeds I'd never considered before, knowing there is more to come yet. Unofficially I think I dipped into the 1:47's (full track) so really happy with that. Finished in the same position again, with anoth celebtration wheelie!

To sum up, a fantastic day I hope to repeating again soon. I didn't finish last, I didn't fall off, and I blew about 5 seconds off my previous best time. All in all a good day. I was a bit disappointed that there was no clubmans class (no ones fault) as in F1 I was racing myself, I found I did my best laps when Bren and I were together. But it gives something to aim for! I'm now awaiting my Ohlins rear shock to turn up, get that in and get the forks and brakes sorted, get a lot more track time and hopefully drop those lap times even further. I know the ohlins won't instantly make me faster, but when I get there they will help. My brother who owns a service station in town was out there and was impressed enough to offer me some sponsership, every little bit helps. I'm not fooling myself though, I'm no Rossi but with more time and experience I hope to get competitive enough to actually battle with some other riders.

I would like to say a bit 'Thank You' to the following people:

imdying Without your help mate in preparing my bike this weekend would have never happened. You don't know how thankfull I am. A true mate.
TonyB Loaned me his van as he wasn't racing, allowing me to get to the track.
Bren For encouraging me to get out there and do it. You were right bro.
Dangerous For your advice, support and offer of transport.
Joni For your support and encouragement.
kickaha For your advice and offer of transport.
PitLane Motorcycles For fitting the slicks and giving me a good deal on all the bits and pieces, and checking the bike over.
The Team at Motorcycling Canterbury For letting an amatuer like me who wasn't a club member on the track and providing a great day.
WINJA For the TRE which was worth half a second a lap!

I'll be back.

Ghost Lemur
28th August 2006, 19:51
Good stuff OAB.

Sounds like you had an absolute blast.

Do you have your sexy CF wheels on yet?

Sure like most things it's just confidence, which will come with doing it more.

k14
28th August 2006, 20:24
Yeah bro, you da man. Was awesome watching you out there, also those wheelies off the line looked mint. You mastered using the rear brake to keep the front down yet? Could get a bit more off the line acceleration.

See ya at levels in 3 weeks is it?

Joni
28th August 2006, 20:46
Good to read this OAB!

Was a great day, and was stunning to see you out there - like everything else you do all I can say is be carefull F1 boys OAB is in town :scooter:

Well done mate.... I was real proud!:sunny:

Sketchy_Racer
28th August 2006, 21:00
Great stuff OAB !!

sounds like you did really really well!!!

Keep the reports coming :niceone:

cowpoos
28th August 2006, 21:07
fucking awesome bro.....I'm stoked ya got out there and just did it.....and I hope to see more people racing.....its a awesome buzz!!!

Ps;these wheelies sound rather impressive!!

Zed
28th August 2006, 21:11
Good stuff man, you are an inspiration!

Would've loved to have been there watching you, especially pulling the wheel stands!! :Punk:

WINJA
28th August 2006, 21:18
Congrats But You Forgot To Thank Winja For The Free Tre , Thats Worth Half A Second A Lap

onearmedbandit
28th August 2006, 23:27
There, I put you in mate.

Thanks guys, bitten by the bug now.

kiwifruit
28th August 2006, 23:40
dude, how can i say this.... ur a fuckin beast!!!!

great reading too, loved it. keep up the good work :Punk:

SDU
29th August 2006, 12:36
Great write up. Sounds like you had an awesome day racing. :rockon:
Would love to see some pics!

Two Smoker
29th August 2006, 19:20
Awesome stuff OAB :niceone: Keep it up!!! I recommend motocross grip tape (its what Stroudy uses)

onearmedbandit
29th August 2006, 19:57
Awesome stuff OAB :niceone: Keep it up!!! I recommend motocross grip tape (its what Stroudy uses)

Funny you say that mate, I was on tardme last night and came across Strouds 2004 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-68008546.htm) bike, which I noticed had Stompgrip on it. Did a search, found a dealer in NZ and ordered some straight away.

I've found the biggest improvement I've made so far has been the bump pad at the back of my seat. In fact without that I can't really ride the bike aggressively, I'm not very tall so I get pushed back in the seat under power and I can't get over the front of the bike. So I wouldn't be suprised if I see a decent improvement from the addition of the grip tape, mostly for allowing me to move off the bike more and also stay well forward when I need.

FROSTY
29th August 2006, 20:11
mate youre a fucking legend.

feral1
30th August 2006, 22:31
mate youre a fucking legend.

I'll say. Great to meet you OAB. Wick to hear that you enjoyed the day. Wheelies were a highlight for the spectators, driving that thou into 5th gear and getting a wobble on while screwing the gas open harder...priceless

Feral

onearmedbandit
31st August 2006, 00:11
A few pics.

onearmedbandit
31st August 2006, 00:12
A 1992 Blade!

babyB
31st August 2006, 01:43
way cool write up OAB darn good read.
sounded like premo day for ya. good on ya

Kickaha
31st August 2006, 06:50
Good to see you out there having a bash at it, nice wheelies at the end ( I couldn't do one to save my life) just a litle bit more pace and you might get that slow blade rider that you kept beating off the line :bleh:

Squeak the Rat
31st August 2006, 10:08
Big ups OAB. Full respect and awesome write up.

Deano
31st August 2006, 10:16
Awesome stuff mate !!

emaN
31st August 2006, 10:24
dude,
that's friggin' awesome! good on ya for signin' up...

i was thinking of you (no, not like that...) while out for a ride a while back, and tried riding "a la OAB" - needless to say it didn't last long!

respect!

onearmedbandit
31st August 2006, 13:11
Thanks for all the comments and rep guys, appreciate it. Put the new suspension in this weekend and go and pound out a few more laps on Tuesday.

TonyB
31st August 2006, 13:22
AWESOME STUFF!! Gutted that I didn't get out there to watch you in action- Zach was pretty crook so couldn't go. Oh well, I have tentative clearance from SheWhoMustBeObeyed to do Levels, Have a go AND King of 'Puna so I guess I'll be seeing you out there!.... if I can keep up:shit:
Mate, you are an inspiration!:yes:

Rashika
31st August 2006, 13:22
pretty damn cool seeing you out there OAB, maybe next time i will get out there soon enough to see you actually race! :rockon: