PDA

View Full Version : Auckland first aid course

FROSTY
16th June 2004, 11:07
The first aid course is happening
It will be as far as possible biker specific
Firefighter has offered to act as instructor with one or two thers to assist.
At this stage it will be at my place in massey -west auckland
FF thinks we need groups of 10 to be manageable.
The first course will be in a couple of weeks time-depending on FF's availability -
Ill post the exact date /time
I'm more than happy to hold more of them depending again on interest level and availibility of instructors
Im also working on sourcing a basic first aid kit we can all carry and use.
Hopefully we will never have to

Posh Tourer :P
16th June 2004, 12:28
I voted thanks anyways, because I already do a wilderness medic level 2 course every 2 years, subsidised by Uni Tramping club :2thumbsup:

Firefight
16th June 2004, 13:25
XJ, I belive we have the people on site to do this, we have atleast 2 ambo/paramedics on KB that I know of, also I was a workplace instructor for St Johns and a VAO, I also have acess to the range of CPR manakins, and OHP/power point etc, and may even be able to get the use of a class room. This would not be a certified course,it could however be taylored to Bike/road trauma, life support, emergancy helmet removal, etc etc, there would be No cost, which may make it more suitable for the younger(read broken arse student type) with less $$$$$$$$$$$$. If you find out what interst there is and pm me, I think we could work someting out.I feel free that the ambo staff on KB would join in to help.

Firefight

Antallica
16th June 2004, 14:18
Sounds good to me :)

Get a cert from it?

Firefight
16th June 2004, 14:22
Sounds good to me :)

Get a cert from it?

have another read Ants :Pokey:

F/F

Quasievil
16th June 2004, 14:36
Yup count me in and keep me up to date, I think its kinda important for all you others to do so you know how to look after my broken arse when I fall off !! :doobey:

FROSTY
16th June 2004, 15:21
XJ, I belive we have the people on site to do this, we have atleast 2 ambo/paramedics on KB that I know of, also I was a workplace instructor for St Johns and a VAO, I also have acess to the range of CPR manakins, and OHP/power point etc, and may even be able to get the use of a class room. This would not be a certified course,it could however be taylored to Bike/road trauma, life support, emergancy helmet removal, etc etc, there would be No cost, which may make it more suitable for the younger(read broken arse student type) with less $$$$$$$$$$$$. If you find out what interst there is and pm me, I think we could work someting out.I feel free that the ambo staff on KB would join in to help.

Firefight
fantastic FF --I think we all need a basic level of first aid skill to help by the roadside.
perhaps we could do it as a 2 part course, The basics as you suggested (which sounds pretty darn good to me) and another more in depth. second one with certs etc.
Mate if you have the contacts itd bee great :spudbooge

Motoracer
16th June 2004, 15:23
I have done it a couple of times but I tend to forget everything after a while. :brick:

Firefight
16th June 2004, 15:28
fantastic FF --I think we all need a basic level of first aid skill to help by the roadside.
perhaps we could do it as a 2 part course, The basics as you suggested (which sounds pretty darn good to me) and another more in depth. second one with certs etc.
Mate if you have the contacts itd bee great :spudbooge

Whatever, I don't mind, however anytime certs are involved so is money, It is my belief that withn the help of the ambos, & nurse's we have on the site we can deliver a course that is more suitable for riders and still cover basic life support/first aid concepts that can be used in any situation,

I will however be guided by the masses(sp?), when you got the numbers let me know, I will then contact the others on the site that I think will be able to help us. Normally I would work on a max of 10 students per class, and if it all works out okay, we can do more than one course as numbers require.

F/F :eek5:

FROSTY
16th June 2004, 15:34
ok FF Ill leave it and see who responds to gauge what soret of course they want

Big Dog
16th June 2004, 15:59
How many guys/gals here would be interested in a first aid course.
I would be dead keen. :2thumbsup:Hopefully not literally. :2guns:

Two Smoker
16th June 2004, 16:04
Count me in, i need to brush up on my first aid skills, especially with the way i ride :wacko: :crazy:

Im keen for F/F's course because of the cost and its F/F :niceone:

Motoracer
16th June 2004, 16:07
especially with the way i ride :wacko: :crazy:

Shouldn't your riding buddies be taking the course if that's the case? :bleh:

Big Dog
16th June 2004, 16:11
there would be No cost, which may make it more suitable for the younger(read broken arse student type) with less $$$$$$$$$$$$. Firefight
Onya FF.

If I may be so bold the biggest thing preventing most people from rendering effective first aid is a kit. Perhaps as one who has seen the light on both sides of the fence (biker out on a ride / Emergency services) you could reccommend a list of bits and bobs to carry in a Bikers Aid Kit. Perhaps even sell a few kits?

Over the years I have bought many proper kits to find they have lot's of single purpose but useless bits (saline tablets? Finger bandages?) that usually get thrown away 5 years later having never been used.

Two Smoker
16th June 2004, 16:16
Shouldn't your riding buddies be taking the course if that's the case? :bleh:
LOL well i will be bymyself :( you will be up infront, and the others i ride with, behind me..... therefore i have to do it bymyself :disapint:

Firefight
16th June 2004, 16:20
Onya FF.

If I may be so bold the biggest thing preventing most people from rendering effective first aid is a kit. Perhaps as one who has seen the light on both sides of the fence (biker out on a ride / Emergency services) you could reccommend a list of bits and bobs to carry in a Bikers Aid Kit. Perhaps even sell a few kits?

Over the years I have bought many proper kits to find they have lot's of single purpose but useless bits (saline tablets? Finger bandages?) that usually get thrown away 5 years later having never been used.

yep BD, we can sure recomend what to put in a kit, I agree some of the shit you buy in those so called first aid kits is utterly needless crap.
Not sure about selling kits, I think Mrs F/F has mate who works for one of those big safety co's , later on when we see how the course goes we can look at kits and maybe bulk buy ?

Big Dog
16th June 2004, 16:29
Not sure about selling kits, I think Mrs F/F has mate who works for one of those big safety co's , later on when we see how the course goes we can look at kits and maybe bulk buy ?

Sounds like a plan, looks like a plan. So it probably is a plan! :2thumbsup: :first:

MadDuck
16th June 2004, 16:49
about time I do I refresher....forget stuff too easy as I get older.

Also as I end up at the tail (if not lost) on KB rides then best I kinda have an idea of what to do apart from use mobile phone.

Yarg
16th June 2004, 20:20
:) Yep. i'd more than likely be interested. More knowledge the better.

Posh Tourer :P
16th June 2004, 20:25
Also keep in mind that if you do something on the roadside you can assume liability. For example removing a helmet and paralysing someone. This ought to be stressed at any course. Life threatening situations should be dealt with, anythig more ought to be left to those with the cash to pay for lawyers. This was certainly the case in my first aid courses (wilderness medic). If emergency services are close, dont do anything unless it is immediately life threatening

MadDuck
16th June 2004, 20:38
As FF is a professional I am sure he will make all course goers aware of the hazards, liabilities etc...... best not to pre-empt the content!

Even at basic St Johns first aid training they recommend not removing helmets unless it is life threatening. Its NOT attending courses like these that cause more suffering than need be. Good on ya guys for getting the ball rolling. I am sure anyone attenging will learn a lot.

ummmm...having said that it is always good not to need the skills at all. Ride safe cos I am not sure I wanna give any of ya mouth to mouth. Pretty tough through a helmet visor anyways :doctor: :laugh:

FROSTY
16th June 2004, 21:43
Theres a crowd in new lynn who do a range of first aid kit
I think they do bicycle kits that hang round ya waist.
probably pretty good for us bikers too---wadda ya think FF

curious george
16th June 2004, 22:00
Also keep in mind that if you do something on the roadside you can assume liability. For example removing a helmet and paralysing someone. This ought to be stressed at any course. Life threatening situations should be dealt with, anythig more ought to be left to those with the cash to pay for lawyers. This was certainly the case in my first aid courses (wilderness medic). If emergency services are close, dont do anything unless it is immediately life threatening

Thats what ACC is for.
If you are the only one around, and made a genuine attempt to help somebody, nobody would blame you, much less sue you!
Re the helmet thing, if you leave it on, what if it's strangling the rider? Would you leave it on? Cut the strap? Could you be sure the extra weight of the helmet won't do any more damage?
Anyway, some of the current thinking is if you are in a situation like that, needing to do CPR on the roadside, it's discouraged. The patient often does badly anyway.
I don't know if I could stand by and not at least try something, but the end results still stand...

Kwaka-Kid
17th June 2004, 05:49
YAY! Im keen as! Right behind XJ/FF/others helping on this one! Just point me to where and ill be there.

And yeah, what exactly is a good first aid kit? I make shade bring like, EVERYTHING (dunno if he remembers to put it in the back of his bike?) but wouldnt have a clue whats mainly needed, just figured if we got it all we should be right.

George id imagine youd carry a pretty comprehensive sponsored first aid kit on rides?

Firefight
17th June 2004, 07:30
Thats what ACC is for.
If you are the only one around, and made a genuine attempt to help somebody, nobody would blame you, much less sue you!
Re the helmet thing, if you leave it on, what if it's strangling the rider? Would you leave it on? Cut the strap? Could you be sure the extra weight of the helmet won't do any more damage?
Anyway, some of the current thinking is if you are in a situation like that, needing to do CPR on the roadside, it's discouraged. The patient often does badly anyway.
I don't know if I could stand by and not at least try something, but the end results still stand...

all good points, and will be covered in the course. would prefer to to pre empt(sp?) with fourm debate.

F/F

Firefight
17th June 2004, 07:34
Theres a crowd in new lynn who do a range of first aid kit
I think they do bicycle kits that hang round ya waist.
probably pretty good for us bikers too---wadda ya think FF

sounds good, we can get one and check it out, I prefer to make a kit up, and put in what I feel is needed, , but we can still have alook at this one. I carry a very large kit when we go on group rides, which has also been a help for fixing broken bits on bikes(KK would be proud) no # 8 fencing wire.

F/F

RiderInBlack
17th June 2004, 08:06
Fu*ken rusty as. Have not work as a RN since Sept last year but am still reg'd. Have stopped at a few vechile accidents as I feel abilged to as a RN, but am real glad when the Pro's arrive:sweatdrop :not: (Emergency is different to Ward).

Would like to bush-up on the basics and then do an advanced course.

Re: removing the helmet. It's Logics Guys. If the person is alive, breathing, hearts beating and is in not further danger where they are (eg: no fire, no train coming, etc) do not even move them (it's better to stop and/or devert triffic than to move the accident victim). Make them comfortable where they are, and don't let them remove the helmet. Moving them or removing the helmet may caurse more damage to their spinal cord, this could lead to perminate paralysis or death (esecially if the damage is in the neck, which is quite common in MVA's). The helmet might also be the only thing holding their skull together.
If it's life threatening (and they are going to die if you don't move them), then you may need to do this, but it is not recomended if you don't have the training. This because the accident victim will need to be moved in such a way as not to do any further damage to the spine. In the Hospital, a patient with a Cervical (neck) injury needs 4 trained nusres just to roll them (the most experienced RN calling the shots holding the head, one at the shoulders, one at the hip and one at the legs), so needless to say I would not try this on your own. If they are not breathing you may need to take the helmet off, but even I would not be kean to do this without better training. You could carefully loosen the throat lash if it is really restricting breathing, if you can do so without moving the victims head.

The end of the day provention is better than the cure.
As a RN I have been asked to be support rider for organised rides. On one ride a rider asked me if I had a first-aid kit (this was before the ride). I replied "Na, if I see a rider down, I'm going to kick them in the balls:kick: . If they move their fine, if they don't I'm calling the Ambulance. Oh and please don't hold your breath as I'm about as keen as you to give you mouth-to-mouth:Pokey: ". He come back to me after the ride and told me that my little chat made him careful to stay on the bike all day:rolleyes: I told he "provention is better than the cure, hey:msn-wink: ". "Yep" he replied:o (NB: this only works if your a hairy male RN in full black bike leathers and is not recommend for the good looking :killingme ).

FROSTY
17th June 2004, 09:03
Ok guys well I think theres enough interest to get a basic course kicked off.
Im thinking itll be in a couple of weeks time
Ill suss out the first aid kit I can get and Ill be happy to clear out my sitting room for it -unless someone has a better venue
If its Ok FF -Ill pm ya

FROSTY
17th June 2004, 17:53
FF has offered his services for a basic course.
Im hoping He will agree to present at least two of them
We will keep it to groups of 10 but (I hope) there will be at least two.
At this stage the first one wil be at my place in a couple of weeks time.

Kwaka-Kid
17th June 2004, 18:42
IM IN! FIRST ON LIST! :)
yay! :D
and yehaw! No 8 fencing wire, what more does the world need? we tried using REALLY THIN tie wire on Hoon's exhaust at taupo last time, round and around as hte bracket had broken, but it didnt pass :( so we he had to do a proper job with an alloy strip :(

Big Dog
17th June 2004, 18:55
Oh and please don't hold your breath as I'm about as keen as you to give you mouth-to-mouth:Pokey: "
When I was doing my Truck Driving course First aid was a part of it. The instructor told us that once when he was working in a factory a dude with a heart problem fell face first into a transformer.

So the dude was having a heart attack and had sizzled beard stuck all over his face. The instructors supervisor says to him "well go on you just did a course go and see if he's all right." He goes over to him. The dudes breath is real shallow and smells of singed hair. He whispers up "help me....... whats going on?.....Help" after a few seconds the instructor says, "your gonna die brother, unless you get your shit together you are going to die."

Truckers tale? Possibly.
Would it ever happen..... ?

Best I be careful and never find out eh?

RiderInBlack
17th June 2004, 20:33
The dudes breath is real shallow and smells of singed hair. He whispers up "help me....... whats going on?.....Help" after a few seconds the instructor says, "your gonna die brother, unless you get your shit together you are going to die."Well the guy didn't need mouth-to-mouth as he talking (if a patient is REALLY short of breath they find it nearly impossible to talk) and therefore beathing. So what the guy really needed was some motivation:msn-wink: :niceone: (and some O2, and pos some NLS under his tonge) and an ambulance.

FROSTY
17th June 2004, 21:38
um I think most of all the guy needed to get off of the transformer :doctor:
Just my non medical opinion here

FROSTY
18th June 2004, 11:09
guys n gal;s --the poll thingee diddnt work so I couldnt get interested peoples names--could ya all e mail me please

Big Dog
18th June 2004, 15:17
So what the guy really needed was some motivation:msn-wink: :niceone:
That would be motivation would it not?

"your gonna die brother, unless you get your shit together you are going to die."

FROSTY
18th June 2004, 22:16
All those interested in the first -first aid course send me a PM -itll be at night in about 2 weeks and at this stage at my place in massey
At least 20 of ya know where that is

RiderInBlack
18th June 2004, 23:31
at this stage at my place in masseyI think you meant to write that like this Frosty:
"at this stage my place is in a mess-A":Pokey: :killingme

FROSTY
19th June 2004, 10:28
smartass-- hey its a blokes place --Id rather work on the bike than clean the place :bash: :ar15: sides Ive got baby bikie to "help " keep it clean

FROSTY
21st June 2004, 12:58
anyways --could those definitely want ing to attend send me a pm or e mail

Navy Gixer
24th August 2005, 19:31
FF, If possible it would be good to have people pressent that have delt with bike accidents also so they can let others know the type of scene that they may (touch would, never) have to see.

bugjuice
24th August 2005, 19:36
FF, If possible it would be good to have people pressent that have delt with bike accidents also so they can let others know the type of scene that they may (touch would, never) have to see.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=15340
already under way... what better than a fireman, a couple of paras, and a few fellow bikers who have gone thru stuff themselves..

boy, is this an old thread!

Navy Gixer
24th August 2005, 20:01
Have been on a number of first aid courses over the years and have delt with a double fatal early this year that happened in front of me, still a little shy. I thinks its great what you are doing in this area thou.

bugjuice
24th August 2005, 20:44
stick all the new comments on the thread in the link, that way, we can keep all the recent relevant stuff together ;)
but tis good, and it's a great little community KB has developed into, which makes stuff like this possible..

bugjuice
31st August 2005, 10:20
** bomp **
tomorrow peeps..

curious george
1st September 2005, 22:35
Very nice to meet some new people, thanks heaps to Dave, Rif, Draco, Keystone(?). Well done, great stuff. Hopefully will never have to use.
And here are the photo's you have all been waiting for...
1st aid they said..... serious stuff they said....no rolling around on the floor like, well, like.... make your own mind up.

R6_kid
1st September 2005, 23:15
whens the next one? I shoulda dropped in, i was in the area at just before starting time. Looking at the attendance register i was supposed to be there, but this is the first time i've even looked at the post... whos been hacking my account? :nono:

trev
2nd September 2005, 10:55
Big Thanks to FF, Speedmedic, Keystone, Draco, Riff Raff & the Dummy on the Floor. Invaluable stuff. For me the biggest lesson was taking away a knowledge of the priorities to attend to.
I hope I never need the knowledge.