PDA

View Full Version : Taupo Track Modifications

FROSTY
29th August 2006, 15:53
Yep the taupo track has been modified --its the first stage to allow moto gp racing here in NZ so is to FIM recomendations and rules
Ok folks -heres the offical story.
The FIRST stage of track mods has been completed to meet with FIM standards
The origonal plan of a corner over the top of turn 2/7 has been abandoned -the gravel section has been covered in scoria and grass
As Im Typing theres a V8 slip sliding its way over the BRAND NEW section of track.
Heres how it NOW goes
From the NEW track entry -turn 1-7 is as was (turn 7 is the hairpinish left corner before the loooongleft sweeper) You power it up round turn 8 staying on the new track PAST the old track transition point on the old hairpin
Aproaching the chicane you NOW peel into a fairly tight right hand corner -(the new turn 9 )which opens into a sweeper onto the old "esses" straight--(the esses have now gone) -then Left arount the old main sweeper
This new section of track is er --fucking fast --
Omg its just too sexy for words--
it should look sorta like saslexes scetch--cept the turn is about 30m furthur on --
Hopefully some artist type can draw this up over the existing map

Fatjim
29th August 2006, 16:02
Looks all good for November.

skelstar
29th August 2006, 16:05
Well and truely confused and looking forward to the artist impression :)

FROSTY
29th August 2006, 23:41
to clear it up --click this link
http://www.tauporacetrack.co.nz/pdf/Track%201.pdf
Now thats the track as it WAS
-Go furthur up turn 8 to basicly in line with the esses
draw a right turn in there.to avoid confusion do that then draw a straight line right through the esses to the sweeper --got the picture now

sAsLEX
30th August 2006, 11:09
like this?

WAsnt the esses one of the better points of the old track?

MSTRS
30th August 2006, 11:19
Phaaaarrk!! That end of the track will be damned quick!!

Squeak the Rat
30th August 2006, 12:01
Some one pass the tissues.

Though i don't like the thought of that nasty double-apex corner at the end of the new straight bits. At least the old S's kept the speed down a little tad....

emaN
30th August 2006, 12:26
bugger...
was looking forward to charging thru' those esses!

oh well, if it gets the MotoGP boys in town...may 'their' will be done

skelstar
30th August 2006, 12:59
Any idea what the motivation is for this modification FROSTY? Is it to allow more overtaking opps for the A1 cars maybe?

FROSTY
30th August 2006, 18:22
The motivation is simple FIM and FIA rules specify a MINIMUM track width of 12.0m at all points of the track --The old transition zone and the esses were well under the limit.
My concern is that sweeper is a tricky SOB as it was-- aproaching it after some esses to wash off speed--its gonna be extra scarey--I hope like hell they have the drainage sorted or theres gonna be some nasty bike crashes at the sweeper

BornToLean
30th August 2006, 18:33
Does the original club circuit still exist, even without the esses?

Mental Trousers
30th August 2006, 19:01
It looks great. Can't wait.

I thought the best way would've been to reconfigure t8 so that t9 & t10 were removed. But I guess the track still wouldn't have been wide enough.

Two Smoker
30th August 2006, 19:31
While it has taken some of the cooler parts of the old circuit... It looks awesome and i cant wait to have a go!!! Mmmmmmmmm September the 8th...

Leong
30th August 2006, 19:44
bugger...
was looking forward to charging thru' those esses!

Yes, me too. Was keen to see how the gixxer would go thru there compared to the SV!

Keystone19
30th August 2006, 19:51
Yep, roll on September 8th. Be interesting to see what this new layout is like. I guess those of us that have to stick to our SV's might be a little slower with so many straight bits now...

Cross fingers for good weather...:sunny:

saul
30th August 2006, 20:04
O la la :scooter: :yes:

Kyle
12th September 2006, 20:00
This was how it was september 8th. The new section where the esses used to be is very straight and wide, but it does have a bend in it. Had to watch for riders coming across from the far left side to cut that gentle right, seen a couple of close calls but plenty of room still. Superb track for my cbr600, lots of footrest grinding going on. All i need now is a trackday every weekend and then ill be happy :yes:

R6_kid
12th September 2006, 20:14
All i need now is a trackday every weekend and then ill be happy :yes:

Amen brother, poor, but happy!

Got everything that i can cross crossed hoping that Hampton Downs goes ahead, that track looks like its going to be killer.

kiwifruit
12th September 2006, 20:15
All i need now is a trackday every weekend and then ill be happy :yes:

we're workin on it! ;)

Goblin
12th September 2006, 20:23
we're workin on it! ;)
Will there be a "High user Discount"? ;)

R6_kid
12th September 2006, 20:31
Will there be a "High user Discount"? ;)

how about a loyalty card? after 4 days your fifth is free!