PDA

View Full Version : Ox tounges

Skyryder
29th August 2006, 17:50
Anyone in Christchurch know a butcher that sell ox tounges? I've tried theMad Butcher not to no avail

Got an ole freezing worker mate coming thought we would tuck into a bit of offal like for old times sake. Got the sweetbreads sorted. As for ox tails the are as rare as hens teeth.

Skyryder

SkOrM
29th August 2006, 18:10
we've got ox tails fo sale here in the puke MB aswell as ox tounghs. though every butcher is different.

dawnrazor
29th August 2006, 18:13
Oh I'd go for some hens teeth right about now...go to the source mate, down to the abattoir and get one that can still give ya a lick!

Sniper
29th August 2006, 18:15
There is a butcher in St Albans that does that and blood pudding. I'll find out the name for you tomorrow

The Pastor
29th August 2006, 18:32
isnt it called black pudding. You can buy that in the supermarkets.

Sniper
29th August 2006, 18:35
isnt it called black pudding. You can buy that in the supermarkets.

Not artificial shit. Im talking about the proper stuff

The Pastor
29th August 2006, 19:06

Its like imported from germany....

Finn
29th August 2006, 19:19
I've got an acid tounge. Want it?

Hillbilly
29th August 2006, 19:28

Clotted pig's blood - YUM! :sick: it's almost as good as tripe! :eek:

Hitcher
29th August 2006, 20:03
Tounge. To be added to the Kiwi Biker official lexicon? Like gargre and sprotsbike? The BDOTGNZA is bemused...

judecatmad
29th August 2006, 20:09
Anyone in Christchurch know a butcher that sell ox tounges? I've tried theMad Butcher not to no avail

Got an ole freezing worker mate coming thought we would tuck into a bit of offal like for old times sake. Got the sweetbreads sorted. As for ox tails the are as rare as hens teeth.

Skyryder

Ooh, yum! Not had ox tongue in years. You should try get a hold of hearts too - they're jolly good :)

As for liver - you can't beat ox liver IMHO. Offal connosieur that I am, LOL.

:crazy: Mad cow?? What mad cow?? :soon: :doh:

Kendog
30th August 2006, 11:51
Yum, ox tongue and sweetbreads, are you having lambs brains too? If so, I'm coming to your house!!! I'll bring the Speights.
Mrs KD.

SDU
30th August 2006, 12:47
Ring the Alliance Sockburn Plant, they should be able to help you with a order. Fresh too!

Lias
30th August 2006, 13:04
Never been a great offal fan (dont like liver or kidney), but I've had ox tounge and it wasnt half bad.

Hillbilly
30th August 2006, 14:43
Yeah! Just keep thinking of how they always lick their noses!

Skyryder
30th August 2006, 17:24
Yeah! Just keep thinking of how they always lick their noses!

Yea that's where the flavour comes from.

Skyryder

Skyryder
30th August 2006, 17:26
Ring the Alliance Sockburn Plant, they should be able to help you with a order. Fresh too!

Thanks SDU. Had not thought of them.

Skyryder

Hillbilly
30th August 2006, 19:57
Yeah! Truth is - OX tounges are really great, especially sliced thinnly and braised in red wine.

Flatcap
30th August 2006, 20:39
Nothing like a good feel of offal to give the bowels a work out - I can just imagine the odious stench of your flatulence....one of lifes simple pleasures

Hitcher
31st August 2006, 09:08
Nothing like a good feel of offal to give the bowels a work out

You have an overly-sensitive sense of touch.

McJim
31st August 2006, 09:19
If we're talking offal - I miss the haggis from hame!

Flatcap
31st August 2006, 16:58
You have an overly-sensitive sense of touch.

Should of read "feed", but interesting concept.........

Skyryder
31st August 2006, 17:10
Yeah! Truth is - OX tounges are really great, especially sliced thinnly and braised in red wine.

So how's this done. I would presume the tongue is cooked, skinned then braised.

Came across a mediaval recipee for ox tongue. Boiled for about an hour or until the skin comes away cleanly then slowly roasted over a charcoal fire and basted with spices/herbs mixed in fat. Can't remember the exact spice/herb combination. I'll do a google search and see what comes up.

Skyryder

idb
31st August 2006, 17:11
If you made a pudding out of them would they be a "tounge sweet"?