PDA

View Full Version : Air-cooled motor too hot?

degrom
30th August 2006, 18:16
Hi.

How do you know when an air cooled motor is getting to hot?

What are the signs to look out for...

Thx

Hitcher
30th August 2006, 20:02
A pool of molten metal is cause for some concern...

Ixion
30th August 2006, 21:39
An air cooled motor can't really run too hot so long as the lubricant can cope. Smoke out of the oil filler, seizure (valve or piston), oil frothing or boiling are some warning signs. Typically on carbed bikes poor running is the first sign, as the excessive heat around the carb upsets the mixture. But some air cooled motors run very hot indeed, much much hotter than water cooled ones.

Do you think you have a problem?

Edbear
31st August 2006, 06:57
Typically on carbed bikes poor running is the first sign, as the excessive heat around the carb upsets the mixture.

Yep. Mine starts to pink and misfire if I've been idling around on it too long. Not normally a problem in traffic though it does have the oil-cooling system to help. Back in the old days all engines were air-cooled and don't recall any issues back then.

degrom
31st August 2006, 18:21
An air cooled motor can't really run too hot so long as the lubricant can cope. Smoke out of the oil filler, seizure (valve or piston), oil frothing or boiling are some warning signs. Typically on carbed bikes poor running is the first sign, as the excessive heat around the carb upsets the mixture. But some air cooled motors run very hot indeed, much much hotter than water cooled ones.

Do you think you have a problem?

I don't really have a problem... Was just wondering about it because my exhaust is showing heat signs on the chrome.

You said seizure is a sign. I will be honest... I don't really know a thing about a engine in the inside. I know all of the concepts of how it should work but there is where it stop.(but I want to learn)

I would like to restore my XV but I am a bit scared to make it the first engine to open... At the moment all I having trouble with is its high idling.

I have tried to set the idle screw but there is 2 carburetors and if I set the idle a bit lower it starts to back fire if I let the gas go...

Can the motor get damage if it back fires? (It also backfires if I gear down to stop... sounds great but I don't know if it's good :)