PDA

View Full Version : race/performance modifications

R6_kid
17th June 2004, 10:13
hey guys,
i am seriously considering modifying my ZXR250 project for racing. I understand that because it is a 250 my options will be fairly limited, but other than a performance can, which i already have ready to put on, what are common modifications done to race bikes, and which are the most effective?
cheers
gareth

Motu
17th June 2004, 10:24
Stickers - you got to get real serious about stickers mate or you'll never get anywhere.

bungbung
17th June 2004, 10:30
Yup, don't forget that special paint too, makes everything much faster. Its sort of grey, but not shiny. Does wonderful things, especially with the extra layer of half hearted black overspray.

jrandom
17th June 2004, 10:37
i am seriously considering modifying my ZXR250 project for racing.

Don't. It won't be competitive in any of the classes. It'll be making about 20hp less than the 250 two-smokes in F3, and you can't run it as a bucket or against 150s, so why bother?

Keep it as a road bike and buy an RG150 or a four-stroke 400 for racing.

FzerozeroT
17th June 2004, 10:45
Gearing correctly for the specific track, good tyres. If you love the bike spend money on it, otherwise might be cheaper to upgrade to a 400. What class were you thinking of? or just a track day bike?

Hoon
17th June 2004, 13:26
Like jrandom said, there is no class here for 250 4-strokes so you will be wasting your money. You could throw $5K at that bike and it'll still be slower than a stock standard ZXR400.

A majority of the bikes in F3 are pretty standard with homemade mods. Also, don't fall into the common trap of trying to improve your bike when it could be the rider that needs the work. Best of all - rider improvements are free and fit any bike!!!

F5 Dave
17th June 2004, 14:20
They were talking about adding 4 smoke 250s into the 150 class, but don’t know if it ever came to anything, there was going to be a trial I think.

Spend the $ into tyres & Plenty of oil changes. The K 250s are a bit known to Chernobyl.