PDA

View Full Version : XV750 rebuild

Dr Bob
17th June 2004, 11:24
Hi all

I am contemplating getting my XV750 restarted. It has been lying around in the garage for years, and was in need of some attention when I deregistered it. I know that will need to change the tyres, battery, and all vital fluids. I also need to dissassemble the brake caliper ( it only has one ) and master cylinder etc. I have to take the rubber intake boots off and reseal them with silicone, and replace the spark plug leads (they were stuffed anyway). But what I don't know about is the engine. What major work / points do I need to be aware of before I attempt to restart the bike? For All I know I will have to rebuild the engine, but if anyone has a list of things I should check first please post it.

merv
17th June 2004, 12:32
Depends how buggered it was when you parked it up and how you parked it up. If the engine was running well and it had oil in it etc there shouldn't be too much harm done. Maybe just squirt a bit of oil down the plug holes and kick it over slowly a bit first. Then drain the oil, fully service it including well and truly cleaning out the carbs - the fuel dries out and looks like shellack and that all has to be cleaned out especially out of the jets.

pete376403
17th June 2004, 12:37
Worst case: one or more exhaust valves may have rusted open, unless someone stuffed oily rags tightly into the ports or the end of the pipes.
Fuel will have evaporated out of the carbs, leaving either a jelly like varnish or (worse) a white powdery residue blocking up everything. Rings may have rusted to the cylinder walls. Wiring insulation crumbles. Everything made of rubber and exposed to air will be have hardened and will split (seals inside the motor should be all right as the oil (if there is any) may have kept them supple. May be all rusty up in the cam cover/rocker box area due to the oil having long drained away. Sump/oiltank will have a good thick layer of sludge at the bottom. Battery will have curled up and died. Rats will have made a nest in the seat foam.
Apart from that you should be good to go.

Or you may be lucky and find it's not too bad at all. Only one way to find out.

Dr Bob
17th June 2004, 12:40
It was running, but had some electrical issues. The main reason for leaving it at the time was that I was commuting 120k's each way and I didn't want something that would crap out, therefore I bought the much newer (circa 1983) XJ750. I do realise that I have to change the leads etc. and work out the electrical problem.

I don't think that it has moisture in it, never having been parked outside in the last 14 years (I've owned this bike since 1989).

Dr Bob
17th June 2004, 12:43
Worst case: one or more exhaust valves may have rusted open, unless someone stuffed oily rags tightly into the ports or the end of the pipes. ..... linder walls. Wiring insulation crumbles. Everything made of rubber and exposed to air will be have hardened and will split (seals inside ..... of sludge at the bottom. Battery will have curled up and died. Rats will have made a nest in the seat foam.
Apart from that you should be good to go.

Or you may be lucky and find it's not too bad at all. Only one way to find out.
I will have to recover the seat, not because of rats, but just stuffed.

The rubber isn't too bad - not much different to when I bought it; however, I bought it with low k's ex Japan. It must have been stored over there because the owner couldn't get a licence for it. Worst is the rubber between carb and head.

merv
17th June 2004, 12:50
What sort of air cleaner has it got too? My dirt bikes have all been oil soaked foam filters and when they get to about 12 years old the foam just seems to end up looking like wet sawdust and you have to replace them. If you touch the foam it just crumbles in your hand when they get like that. I guess the foam only lasts that long in oil.

Dr Bob
17th June 2004, 12:53
It a paper filter, probably the original one. Woops.

vifferman
17th June 2004, 13:27
What sort of air cleaner has it got too? My dirt bikes have all been oil soaked foam filters .
So what sort of filter has your VFR got?
Mine had a Unifilter (foam), and it was very good. Cheap to maintain, and easy too.
However they're unavailable for VTRs oddly enough (odd, because the VTR is popular in the US, where the VTR was designed and where Unifilter is based. I contacted them directly and they said they weren't planning to make one yet 7 years after the VTR was released!) Anyway, I made my own. Piece of cake, and only $35 for more than twice as much Unifilter foam as I needed. :ride:

merv
17th June 2004, 15:59
As soon as mine was due for a new filter I replaced it with a Uni Filter because you would only get about 1.5 paper ones for the price of the Uni so it was well worth having.

Dr Bob
18th June 2004, 09:18
Well I went home and cleaned it. Sat on it for a short while thinking of how I had missed it so... shit it is skinny - like sitting on a pencil. Took the spark plugs out and they were blackish around the edges and grey in the middle - no signs of rust or corrosion ( they were cleaner than plugs in anything else I own ). Hooked up the jumper leads and turned the bike over - no problems, it actually sounded quite good. Then I put some oil into the cylinders - I thought that if anything was seized I would like to know about it. And there was a spark - but it was really weak, I think I remember this is why it was running so rough. I've gotta get some parts, and then I will get serious. BTW when I said it was years, I figured it out yesterday, it has been about 7 1/2

FROSTY
18th June 2004, 10:02
Before ya go lashing out big money try cleanin electrical contacts and cutting 12mm off the end of plug leads. Long shot but it can be all ya need

Dr Bob
18th June 2004, 10:08
I checked the odo last night too. For a bike that was born more than 20 years ago, it's kinda fresh - 61,000

Posh Tourer :P
18th June 2004, 10:41
And there was a spark - but it was really weak, I think I remember this is why it was running so rough. I've gotta get some parts, and then I will get serious. BTW when I said it was years, I figured it out yesterday, it has been about 7 1/2

If you want a hand with any electrical stuff I may be able to help...Had an MZ with electrical problems, a Honda with 6V battery (ugh - but made it run ok..) and did a full install of electrics on the beemer including converting it from twin coil electronic ignition to single coil points box because it would be cheaper to service....

I would like to think I have some idea on bike electrics, but I'm certainly no auto electrician....

Dr Bob
19th June 2004, 12:21
I am in a similar boat, have always seemed to manage to fix the issues when they arise, but the biggest problem is often finding the issue. I have an intermittent short somewhere on the XJ and it is has been a bugger to find. No chance at the moment because it isn't playing up.

FROSTY
19th June 2004, 12:57
bob-give alex a ring about your xv --he is building a pretty radical version of one up right now

pete376403
19th June 2004, 17:03
I am in a similar boat, have always seemed to manage to fix the issues when they arise, but the biggest problem is often finding the issue. I have an intermittent short somewhere on the XJ and it is has been a bugger to find. No chance at the moment because it isn't playing up.

I had a Cb750 that used to cut out at the most awkward moments - would completely loose electrical power to everything. Turned out to be a broken wire in the loom where it flexed at the steering head. (this was back in the days when all the wiring went into the headlight shell and was distributed from there). When the bars were turned it was enough to pull the wire and )sometimes) pull the broken wire enough to seperate the ends. But the insulation wasn't broken - it was a bugger to find, but very satisfying to fix.

Dr Bob
23rd June 2004, 10:31
bob-give alex a ring about your xv --he is building a pretty radical version of one up right now
Who's Alex- is that the mech at Mt Eden M/C? If I don't get a reply here I'll PM later.

Secondly, we are having a garage sale on the weekend and hopefully sunday I'll give starting the bike a go, will post on success on Monday.

Dr Bob
23rd June 2004, 10:35
Sorry for the first question, I just found a reference to Alex under the discussion of motorcyle mechanics. North Western Motorcycles, will look them up in the book.
Ta.

FROSTY
23rd June 2004, 18:32
try norwest motorcycle mechanix -4168932
tell alex I told ya to call him

Dr Bob
12th July 2004, 10:19
Cleaned the carbs on the weekend, and got it to fire - for all of 5 seconds. At present still rather reluctant, I hope it gets better when I get a new battery.

James Deuce
12th July 2004, 10:39
Cleaned the carbs on the weekend, and got it to fire - for all of 5 seconds. At present still rather reluctant, I hope it gets better when I get a new battery.

Excellent!

I nicked your Dewey quote for my assignment btw.

Paul in NZ
12th July 2004, 10:45
Oh well, I may as well give this a go...

In no particular order, having rebuilt a pile of old wrecks (mostly british) and a handful of Japanese bikes.....

Petrol Tank...
Sitting with a half full tank of gas for 7 years there is quite likely to be a fair bit of rust or digusting crap in the petrol tank.. I usually remove the tank, drain it completely, bung up the holes and cycle a few bucket fulls of soapy water through it. Chuck a few handfulls of gravel in and give it a good shake up. Hose it all out, slosh some meths through it (soaks up the water) let it dry. Inspect carefully for pin holes etc, usually at the bottom as the water from condensation sits under the fuel and rusts quietly away!

Install disposable fuel filters before hooking it back up.

Carbs
Clean and put in a new gasket set including any O rings under idle/mixture adjustment screws.

Replace dodgy carb / head rubbers. If you can't afford to replace them, use rubber hose.

Oil
Drain it before cranking the bike (too late). Replace the oil filter and (if possible) wash out the sump / oil pressure relief valve.

Crank the oil through the bike before turning the ignition on.... (plugs out)

Electrics
Remove the battery and check it properly. If it is truely rooted the bike will never run properly even with a jump start. Rule #1. You cannot do any worthwhile diagnosis of the bikes electrical system with a rooted battery.

Clean all the harness, check ALL the earth points by removing them, cleaning the contact surface and re attaching, protect with dialectric grease.

Clean the outside of the coils and HT leads, check all contacts.

Exhaust System
The mufflers will possibly be rooted. Condensation and thin metal is not a good look. If they are, the cost of replacement might make the whole project non viable. Up to you...

Once everything is checked....

Push it outside, borrow a fire extinguisher and fire the old girl up!

Then.. Let the serious bodging begin!

Paul N

Dr Bob
13th October 2004, 08:31
The bike seems to be running fine now. I had to rebuild the master cylinder because it was full of crap. What gets me though is that it must have been in there when the bike was last running - it isn't just congealed brake fluid. Mainly just cosmetic stuff to deal with soon.

Dr Bob
13th October 2004, 08:35
Oh well, I may as well give this a go...

In no particular order, having rebuilt a pile of old wrecks (mostly british) and a handful of Japanese bikes.....

Then.. Let the serious bodging begin!

Paul N

Although I didn't do a lot of this stuff the bike wasn't nearly a wreck. I have had it garaged the whole time and I did put fresh oil (albeit low grade) in it before firing it up. I have since replaced the oil and filter - everything seems fine. I think my main problem will be the electrical connections, but there are so many of them and although they are working at the moment you never no how corrosion makes them play up intermitt.. intermit. now and again.

Dr Bob
1st November 2004, 16:08
If anyone was interested.

Got the compliance done last week - piece of cake. I was worried about the noise of the exhast, but apparantly it's not bad (at least at the revs I was doing at the testing station - it's pretty mean sounding going between cars on the motorway).

The only near thing I had was going into work the day I was booked in for the compliance check (it's kindof on the way... really officer) it started squeaking like an 8 foot mouse. Tried a couple of things but it ended up just being the intake manifold loose (this requires the removal of most of the bike to identify correctly :argh: ).

At present it is running sweet. Now the real work begins; recover the seat, find a shiny toolbox cover, clean, clean, clean, put bandaids on knuckles, clean, clean, get a new exhaust $$$$$$$$$$$$$

guzzi_nz
17th December 2004, 21:58
If anyone was interested.

Got the compliance done last week - piece of cake. I was worried about the noise of the exhast, but apparantly it's not bad (at least at the revs I was doing at the testing station - it's pretty mean sounding going between cars on the motorway).

The only near thing I had was going into work the day I was booked in for the compliance check (it's kindof on the way... really officer) it started squeaking like an 8 foot mouse. Tried a couple of things but it ended up just being the intake manifold loose (this requires the removal of most of the bike to identify correctly :argh: ).

At present it is running sweet. Now the real work begins; recover the seat, find a shiny toolbox cover, clean, clean, clean, put bandaids on knuckles, clean, clean, get a new exhaust $$$$$$$$$$$$$

:eek: love the xv range had 3 of then 750 and 1000 i dun alot of work on xv :mobile:

Chopper74
9th January 2005, 23:35
HI there,Im lookin 4 a manual 4 my 82 Yamaha XV750. There may be one on here but I havnt gotn round 2 reading everything yet. I especially need wiring diagrams and a fix 4 my bikes notorious starter problem.

Multiman
1st June 2005, 13:29
Well done.I have just bought an 83 xv750. Lousy starter noise but ah well! My Carb diaphram is sick, can't get new ones so I'm up for ideas. I need to borrow a right hand side cover to make a mold off if anyone can spare one?

Odin
1st June 2005, 14:38
Well done. Just one thing i cant understand :unsure:, how could you leave it for 7 1/2 years :gob:
I have just gotten my dirty lille fingers on an xv500 88 and will be doing much the same as you from here on, cleaning, recovering and looking for a nice and cheap exhaust :rofl:

How about posting some pic's of the beast if you have them.

Waylander
1st June 2005, 15:52
Don't y'all check post dates? lol Mutiman you might try seeing if one from another XV will fit. Maybe off of a 535 or 1000 posibly the 1100. As for you Odin I've already made a suggestion on cheap pipes :niceone:

Odin
1st June 2005, 16:19
ups, didn't notice it was a revived thread :Oops:

Waylander. I'm not sure i have quite under stood what you have surgested other then getting them from the states and I'm not too keen on that.
Guess I'll just keep my eyes open, look at wreckers and the like. But i am pleased with you help though (did that sound a bit... :weird: )

Waylander
1st June 2005, 17:51
ups, didn't notice it was a revived thread :Oops:

Waylander. I'm not sure i have quite under stood what you have surgested other then getting them from the states and I'm not too keen on that.
Guess I'll just keep my eyes open, look at wreckers and the like. But i am pleased with you help though (did that sound a bit... :weird: )
Ask on here who has the tools needed for welding and bending pipe then ask if they will help you use them. Then go buy yourself some pipe take it to thier place and spend a few hours bending it and welding it to your satisfaction. Then just detach your old pipes leaving the header pipes there and then attach your newly made pipes to the header pipes. Easy as pie.

Odin
1st June 2005, 18:28
Ask on here who has the tools needed for welding and bending pipe then ask if they will help you use them. Then go buy yourself some pipe take it to thier place and spend a few hours bending it and welding it to your satisfaction. Then just detach your old pipes leaving the header pipes there and then attach your newly made pipes to the header pipes. Easy as pie.

Sounds like a plan, will put it to full affect when i get some of my other project finished (looks a bit like a DIY disaster around here but in my defence I've only been here 8 months)

Waylander
1st June 2005, 18:37
Sounds like a plan, will put it to full affect when i get some of my other project finished (looks a bit like a DIY disaster around here but in my defence I've only been here 8 months)

Yea righto mate. Let me know when and I'll see if I can give you a hand.

Drew
6th June 2005, 21:24

I had to track down a fault in an XV 750 some years back, and it turned out, that the wires to the kill switch, (located in the head light,) were shorting out, took me a week to find it, cos the bloody thing still went, you just had to rev the arse off it, to keep it runing on both pistons. Check that bro, cos the headlight isn't water tight, and everything in there might be a bit suspect.

Multiman
12th June 2005, 16:07
Thanks Waylander hadn't though of that.still looking for carb diaphrams.
I have info and costs on starter fault (fix up) if any one is interested.

Waylander
12th June 2005, 20:36
Thanks Waylander hadn't though of that.still looking for carb diaphrams.
I have info and costs on starter fault (fix up) if any one is interested.

No worries mate. Keep us updated.

jonathan12
25th July 2005, 05:13
well im deffinatly not from new zealand but maybe you guys can help me out.

i am in a working state of rebuilding my virago. i tore the engine almost all the way down, replaced gaskets, o rings and such. i just finished putting the engine back together. I found a SUPER cheep deal on some exhaust. i'll post the link at the end. cost me 250 dollars for a new down pipe and duel, slash cut staggered exhaust.
Anyways, i have the starter problem just like everyone else. has anyone found a fix for it or what should i be looking for? when i was able to start it a couple months ago it would "whine" when trying to start it. eventually after a couple of minutes i was able to start it. She also seemed a little sluggesh so im hoping the rebuild and me cleaning everything helped with that. Pointers of suggestions on that are very welcome.

heres the site for the exhaust. i hope to hear back from someone.
http://www.macperformance.com/store/category.cfm?SID=3&Category_ID=675

feel free to email me your suggestions or tips on what to do or get or anything.
agentc0re@gmail.com

thanks guys, Jonathan

Waylander
25th July 2005, 14:34
Anyways, i have the starter problem just like everyone else. has anyone found a fix for it or what should i be looking for? when i was able to start it a couple months ago it would "whine" when trying to start it. eventually after a couple of minutes i was able to start it. She also seemed a little sluggesh so im hoping the rebuild and me cleaning everything helped with that. Pointers of suggestions on that are very welcome.

Have you checked the Starter clutch and Idler gears? Mine was doing the same thing as yours and those were the problem. The starter clucth should only spin freely in one direction, that was the main problem with mine. If you have to replace one then you have to replace them all. Yamaha redisigned the idlers a few years ago and the new parts dont fit with the old.

These parts are located on the left side of the engine (when facing where the front of the bike would be) inside the crankcase cover.
Got these from the online parts catalog found here. (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/parts/home.aspx) The list below goes with the picture at the end. These are for your year and size Virago. The one labled starting motor gear (#1 in the picture) should be the starter clutch. Doesn't look like it's supposed to have a part that spins like mine does so you might have to replace it for worn teeth.

<table class="p7" id="dgParts" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="Black" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" rules="rows" width="600"> <tbody><tr class="Wht7" align="center" bgcolor="#444444"><td align="center" height="22" width="40">Item</td><td align="center" height="22" width="90">Part #</td><td align="center" height="22" width="160">Description</td><td align="center" height="22" width="170">Notes</td><td align="center" height="22" width="30">Req</td><td align="center" height="22" width="110">
</td> </tr><tr class="p7"> <td align="center" height="22">1</td><td>4X7-15511-00-00</td><td>GEAR, STARTING MOTOR (19T)</td><td>
</td><td align="center">1</td><td align="center">
(http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/accessories/addwishlistpart/1094449/add.aspx) </td> </tr><tr class="commontext" bgcolor="Gainsboro"> <td align="center" height="22">2</td><td>90468-29105-00</td><td>CLIP (90468-29105)</td><td>
(http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/accessories/addwishlistpart/1094450/add.aspx) </td> </tr><tr class="p7"> <td align="center" height="22">3</td><td>99009-13400-00</td><td>CIRCLIP</td><td>
(http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/accessories/addwishlistpart/1094451/add.aspx) </td> </tr><tr class="commontext" bgcolor="Gainsboro"> <td align="center" height="22">4</td><td>4X7-15521-00-00</td><td>SHAFT 1</td><td>
(http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/accessories/addwishlistpart/1094452/add.aspx) </td> </tr><tr class="p7"> <td align="center" height="22">5</td><td>4X7-15524-00-00</td><td>WHEEL, STARTER (23T)</td><td>
(http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/accessories/addwishlistpart/1094453/add.aspx) </td> </tr><tr class="commontext" bgcolor="Gainsboro"> <td align="center" height="22">6</td><td>4X7-15512-00-00</td><td>GEAR, IDLER 1 (35T)</td><td>
(http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/accessories/addwishlistpart/1094454/add.aspx) </td> </tr><tr class="p7"> <td align="center" height="22">7</td><td>4X7-15517-00-00</td><td>GEAR, IDLER 2 (27T)</td><td>
(http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/accessories/addwishlistpart/1094455/add.aspx) </td> </tr><tr class="commontext" bgcolor="Gainsboro"> <td align="center" height="22">8</td><td>90468-29106-00</td><td>CLIP</td><td>
(http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/accessories/addwishlistpart/1094456/add.aspx) </td> </tr><tr class="p7"> <td align="center" height="22">9</td><td>90387-172E5-00</td><td>COLLAR</td><td>
</td><td align="center">2</td><td align="center">
(http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/accessories/addwishlistpart/1094457/add.aspx) </td> </tr><tr class="commontext" bgcolor="Gainsboro"> <td align="center" height="22">10</td><td>90501-15636-00</td><td>SPRING, COMPRESSION</td><td>
(http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/accessories/addwishlistpart/1094458/add.aspx) </td> </tr><tr class="p7"> <td align="center" height="22">11</td><td>90387-170E5-00</td><td>COLLAR</td><td>
(http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/accessories/addwishlistpart/1094459/add.aspx)</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Chopper74
5th August 2005, 06:50
Im looking for any ideas on a suitible single carb conversion for my xv750. I thought about an SU or a carb off an 883 Harley. Any Suggestions?

dan2759
28th September 2005, 15:40
Check out www.viragotech.com they have lots of info including Single Carb Mod

the hearse man
4th October 2005, 20:22
Hello folks, Im new to this forum, just bought an old XV 750 myself (see a pic in my profile) and I'm also after a right hand side cover (battery cover). Anyone know where I might find one?
Would be extra advantagous if it's in the gun metal grey colour. Thanks in advance if anyone can help me.
Antony from Christchurch (the hearse man)

Multiman
5th October 2005, 06:52
Ive had no such luck at the moment. Still looking to borrow one to make a mould. I''l be carefull with it, Honets I will.

Multiman
5th October 2005, 06:57
Hey Chopper Webber have just come out with a 45 DCOE single carb for harleys complete with manifold. I'm in the process of pricing it up. My carbs are totally stuffed.

Waylander
5th October 2005, 20:20
Left or right side cover?

Have the left one for an 1100 anyway....

sheddy
3rd February 2006, 20:48
There are chromed covers available on ebay usa right now. I have just made my first purchase of bits for my 1100 and it will be interesting to see how this works out. I'm expecting my highway pegs to arrive in 4-6 weeeks. There are heaps of virago parts on ebay and cruisercustomising.com etc etc. Does anyone know of a tidy set of shocks oem or aftermarket. My shock chrome is pretty stuffed. Progressive suspension series 420 are supposed to fit. There are quite a few custom exhausts available as well, bit pricey but not out of the question if you plan on keeping your bike long term.:ride:

Meanie
6th February 2006, 11:46
Dont know about e bay but i have had parts sent from America before without too much trouble
Waiting for an original set of pipes for my meanie to come from over there at the moment
I just sold an XV midnight special great bikes

sheddy
6th February 2006, 14:10
What cc and year is an xv midnight special. How much for your pipes meanie.

Waylander
6th February 2006, 15:54
The midnight special is just a different paint scheme and a few other extras fromthe normal XVs. Kinda like Harley with thier night trains. They made some for each cc rating, not sure what years they did them in though.

Meanie
9th February 2006, 20:16
What cc and year is an xv midnight special. How much for your pipes meanie.
It was a 1982 XV 1000 midnight special, kinda wish i hadnt sold it now though after reading this thread :weep:
I also sold a 1982 xv 750 for a reasonable amount on trade me I had 70 bidders at the end and over 2000 hits Must be a very popular model
I paid $75 american for the meanstreak pipes and $70 american for freight
Cost me less than $300 nz for a near new set of pipes that i got quoted as $3000 new from the dealer and that was without the heat shields
Dam good maths to me :2thumbsup

Meanie
9th February 2006, 20:20
well im deffinatly not from new zealand but maybe you guys can help me out.

i am in a working state of rebuilding my virago. i tore the engine almost all the way down, replaced gaskets, o rings and such. i just finished putting the engine back together. I found a SUPER cheep deal on some exhaust. i'll post the link at the end. cost me 250 dollars for a new down pipe and duel, slash cut staggered exhaust.

heres the site for the exhaust. i hope to hear back from someone.
http://www.macperformance.com/store/category.cfm?SID=3&Category_ID=675

feel free to email me your suggestions or tips on what to do or get or anything.
agentc0re@gmail.com

thanks guys, Jonathan
Hey Johnathan wecome to the forum, stick around im sure wed all love to hear whats happening over your place :Punk:
I also subscribe to the Kawaski forum which is mostly american, Great bunch of guys and very helpful :yeah:

Pat
10th February 2006, 13:29
try the website www.drpiston.com
I found it helpful Pat

Waylander
10th February 2006, 17:54
try the website www.drpiston.com (http://www.drpiston.com)
I found it helpful Pat
How is yours doin now? Did you get that starting problem sussed?

Pat
10th February 2006, 18:45
I have a donar 750 so I stripped the starter motor from the donar , cleaned and visually checked it out , installed it in my good bike , but its no different to the original in performance .My good bike is as close to mint as you can possibly get , but the starter is a bug that annoys me. The publisher of Bike Rider lives close by and while we are not close friends we know each other by sight and have the occasional words as he frequents my place of work from time to time and attends some Ulysee,s meetings.He also has an XV stored away and has mentioned on occasion the starter motor xv problems.I understand that somewhere on the web there is an article about adapting Honda Integra starter motor parts to enhance the reliablity but I have been unable to find it.Its a shame that this otherwise excellent machine has a problem that cannot be fixed or perhaps it can.I am open to all advice.
Pat

Waylander
11th February 2006, 13:35
Yea sucks. Only way I know of fixing it is checking the starter clutch and replacing it with a totally new one if that is the problem.

JasonB
25th March 2006, 14:04
Hello everyone, I have a 1982 XV750 with the same starter problem. If anyone knows of a fix I would be very interested. You can see a photo of my bike under my profile. I have emailed multiman but no reply. Can anyone else help........ Thanks......:Punk:

Meanie
25th March 2006, 21:04
Hello everyone, I have a 1982 XV750 with the same starter problem. If anyone knows of a fix I would be very interested. You can see a photo of my bike under my profile. I have emailed multiman but no reply. Can anyone else help........ Thanks......:Punk:
I believe they can be rebuilt i spoke to someone with an xv the other day that had his repaired
Try your auto electrician there cant be too much to them

Meanie
25th March 2006, 21:11
welcome to the site Jason good to have you join us nice bike :Punk:
There are a few xv owners here jump on the introduction threads and introduce yourself and they are bound to make themselves known
Just sold my three xv,s before christmas, all 82 models and regretting it now

Waylander
25th March 2006, 21:20
Names for you to take notw of on here JasonB. Virago (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=2808) and The_Preacher. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=1425) Both are on XV1100 and are both down that way.

Then there is this guy. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=4154) He's a bit farther away but knows his stuff when it comes to bikes and the Virago line.

Pat
26th March 2006, 09:47
starter motor problems , go to WWW.drpiston.com , he has a very good article on starter motors and other xv/virago issues.I like your pipes were they imported or purchased locally.I have just imported chrome nut/bolt covers from JCWhitney in the states for my xv.Kind regards Pat

Wired1
11th June 2006, 21:24
Check out Japanese Motorcycle Wreckers in Chch, I got a lot of bits for my current steed from him. He's a bit pricey but he does ship quickly and knows what he's got.

Wired1
11th June 2006, 21:30
Yep there's definitely a fix, and there's another thread about this. Take a look at http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=636870#post636870 for more details. I have jus bought two and will let you know how I get on.

degrom
25th July 2006, 13:35

Check http://www.drpiston.com/81_83_Starter_Paper.html lots of tips!!!