PDA

View Full Version : k14 South Island Cup Rd3 Report

k14
31st August 2006, 19:58
So I headed off for the big drive north on Saturday morning. Just over 5 hours later I was in Christchurch ready for the next day. It was the final round of South Island cup for 2006. I was 4th in the points standings for 125 and knew I had a very good chance of making my way up to 2nd in the points, even though I missed the first round of the three round series.

I arrived out at the track bright and early and got unloaded. I had a few minor things to do to the bike, which always accumulate as the time approaches to the first practice and I finally got my bike scrutineered and was ready for the first practice. I made my way out and came straight into the pits after the first lap. I hadn't put enough tape on the radiator and my bike was running a bit cold. My mate in the pits had the duct tape at hand and readily put another strip on for me. I headed back out to get used to the track etc (was my first proper meeting at Ruapuna on my new bike). It wasn't the warmest start to the morning and the track temp was down a bit. On the right hander after the hairpin I had a bit of a moment with a rear wheel slide. At that point I remembered I hadn't done my tyre pressures after pumping them up to around 35psi the day before at the servo. Thinking it was way way too dodgy to keep riding like this I decided to do a plug chop at the end of the straight and bring it in.

Not the best start to the day. I was so determined to make sure no mistakes in the pits by myself would effect my track time at all. Not to worry though. I still had some useful info on the jetting after the plug chop. Results of the plug chop looked good and I decided that I would leave the jetting as is for the remainder of the day.

The first race was coming nearer and I kitted up early to again make sure I didn't miss the start and got a good place on the dummy grid. Just as I was ready to jump on the bike for the warm up lap I noticed that I had failed to put the spark plug cap on, ARGH!!!! I quickly went about removing the tank and "jiggling" the air box around to try and get the spark plug lead into the right place. After about 60 seconds it was on and I was ready for the start. Having missed the warm up lap I was left to start from the pit lane. Not too bad a prediciment but certainly far from perfect. I got a not too bad start from pit lane and was mid field (out of the approx 30 F3 bikes) going into the first corner. I set about picking off the bikes infront of me one by one to try and salvage as much as possible from the race. On the third lap I was up to about 10th in F3 and 2nd out of the 125's. I could see the last remaining 125 infront of me and was closing the gap fairly easily. I closed up more coming into the hairpin and was about 3 or 4 bike lengths behind going into the next right hander (the same corner which I had a slide previously). I stuffed up the gear change and ended up in neutral mid corner. I slammed it into first and was a bit too agressive with the throttle. The rear end let go, gripped again and then threw me off. I was tumbling down the road with the bike headed in the same direction. I came to a stop and quickly went to grab my bike, which was not so far from the apex of the next corner. I surveyed the damage and knew my race was over. Broken footpeg and brake lever aswell as bent handlebar.

I waited for the end of the race and made my way back slowly to the pits. I was so annoyed that I had pretty much thrown away what would have been a good finishing position and any chance of 2nd in the championship. Not to worry though, still two races to go in the day. I quickly replaced and repaired the broken/bent parts and ensured I was ready for the next race

The call came and I was ready waiting on the dummy grid. I did a good warmup lap and made it to the front row of the grid. I had a pretty good start and was about 6th heading into the first corner (1st out of the 125's). I kept my head down and made sure I was smooth and precise with my riding. I managed to pick off the two SV's and FZR400 infront of me through the infield of lap 2 and 3 which left me in 3rd position with 3 laps remaining. I was behind a KTM supermotard and knew I could get past just had to time it right. After a few unsuccessful attempts it was the last lap and I saw an opening out of the kink on the back straight. I got a better run and he left a gap on the outside. I though I had made it past when at the last minute he moved over. I had no where to go and his handle bar got caught on my neck under my helmet, not the best situation to be in doing around 140kph. I didn't know what to do so just held on tight. After a second or so we parted company and with a small wobble I was approaching the hairpin. I had a quick look back to see him tumbling down the runoff on the side of the track, not to worry there was a race on. I was now up to 2nd and all that stood infront of me and victory was a Ducati 750. He had made a bit of a gap after the previously mentioned incident but I knew I still had half a lap to make a move. I slowly made up ground as the lap progressed. Coming into the last corner I made a move and we were neck and neck coming into the home straight. But as soon as he wound on the throttle the torque of the 750 laughed at my little 125's and I had to settle for 2nd.

Was pretty stoked with the result. After the earlier crash I had regained my confidence and managed to keep the pace up. After the race I found that my lap times were consistently in the 1.46's. I was pretty happy with this, still 2 seconds off my best time (on my old bike) but I still hadn't got a clear lap in and my tyres were very very old.

Well the third and final race of the day came around and again I made it to the front row of the grid. I got another ok start but probably not as good as the previous race. Again I was 6th (but 2nd of the 125's). I followed the 750 that won the previous race past a few SV's and was up to 4th with 2 laps remaining. I was right on the back of the 750 and was gauging on the best place to pass. He had 20kph or so on me down the straight but by the hairpin I would close right back up on him. I planned my move and was about to do it on the second to last lap when I stuffed up a gear change and screwed up my momentum. Not to worry, I still had one lap to make the move. It was the last lap and I lined him up again. I got good drive out of the infield sweeper and took the next corner with more speed than the ducati (the same corner I stuffed up the gear change on the previous lap) and went down the outside of the ducati. I think I caught him by surprise and was right clear of him for the next left hander. There were just two corners left and I knew I needed a gap before the last corner to beat him to the line. I focussed on good drive out of the dipper, rounded the last corner and tucked down as much as possible behind the fairing. I didn't dare look back, I just kept the throttle on the stop. I went over the like to take the chequered flag with no site of the ducati. I had a quick look back and had a comfortable 4 or 5 bike length gap. The race was over and I had made 3rd position in F3 and 2nd in 125.

That was the end of the days proceedings. I was pretty happy with how things went. The last lap in the third race was a 1.45, my fastest of the day and I knew I still had another second in the back pocket. Not getting a clear lap all day (being held up by the fat diesels) I still have plenty of room for improvement for the next meeting.

As always, big thanks to my sponsors, www.motoequip.co.nz, www.quasimoto.co.nz and www.sawyers.co.nz

:rockon:

Sketchy_Racer
31st August 2006, 20:11
Awesome stuff K14!!!!!!!!!!!

I am seriously looking at moving up to the 125s next season! they seem a much more fun bike to race than the 150s!!!!

Kickaha
31st August 2006, 20:44
That was the end of the days proceedings.

really I thought you went out at least one more time on someone elses bike?

feral1
31st August 2006, 21:06
Dude, that is a awesome write up.
See you next time.

Well done on your placings

k14
31st August 2006, 21:18
really I thought you went out at least one more time on someone elses bike?
Yeah the other bit has already been forgotten about, had nightmares that were more enjoyable :scooter:

Ghost Lemur
31st August 2006, 21:21
Shit that tango with the KTM must have been some scary shit. Glad to hear your were able to hang on.

Sounds like you'll smoke them all next time round.

ben444
31st August 2006, 22:17
Hey dude, you comin down to Teretonga this weekend??

k14
31st August 2006, 22:19
Hey dude, you comin down to Teretonga this weekend??
WTF??? Is there racing down there this weekend? Which day?

SDU
1st September 2006, 13:10
Great read! buggar about the off-but someone has to entertain the crowds:bleh: :dodge:
Thats racing- You made up for it next race anyway.