PDA

View Full Version : Hypercharging a Sporty

Shadows
1st September 2006, 01:53
I've been thinking about a performance upgrade for my 1200 "S". I'm currently running a SE Hi Flow air cleaner, dynajets, and race pipes.

Any advice or suggestions?

Basically at the end I'd like to achieve the same or more output as the Buell M2. It feels about 20HP short of power. I took an M2 for a test ride before I got the Sporty, I really liked the performance, but was put off by its "fidgetyness" and the sit on top riding position. The Sporty S won out because it has the same motor, felt so much more stable, I could actually see the front wheel which was strangely reassurring, and was more like being seated on a "proper" motorcycle rather than having my arse up in the air. Now if I can just get the same performance out of that motor I'll be one very happy man.

One thing I've been considering is a hypercharger and jetting to suit, but I don't know what sort of improvement that would make, apart from looking "the shit". Has anybody had any experience or knowledge about them?
I'm guessing one would provide more HP, to what levels I'd be interested to know, and whether the peak HP would be at higher revs than where it is currently.

Or are these hyperchargers nothing but bling and is there something else I should be investigating first, apart from swapping the bike for a Buell?

98tls
1st September 2006, 01:57
Afew years back Street bike magazine turbod a Buell with great success..will have a look back through the hordes of old mags and send it if of any interest....this thing was a daily driver and worked well.....

Shadows
1st September 2006, 02:01
Afew years back Street bike magazine turbod a Buell with great success..will have a look back through the hordes of old mags and send it if of any interest....this thing was a daily driver and worked well.....

Turbo'ed!?
I'd like to see that article... PM me if you find it!
Cheers

scumdog
1st September 2006, 02:02
As you know SM, I have a Sportster 'S'.

It has a Screaming Eagle carb/airfilter unit and coils/leads/plugs etc iplus big-bore exhaust.

Most of the time I never need them BUT I know that with CB on board plus camping gear etc it will do 200kph+ - but then when the hell will you ever need to do it??

Your filter looks the shiz but guys that are into REAL performance will look at it and think "$100 gadget for $50 performance"..

Sorry if it bursts your bubble.

Shadows
1st September 2006, 02:04
Yeah that's what I suspected... more for looks than performance

98tls
1st September 2006, 02:09
Turbo'ed!?
I'd like to see that article... PM me if you find it!
Cheers Will dig it out when i get a chance....went pretty good by all accounts,they had a sales/drive competition and some lucky bugger in Aussie won it as a giveaway.....

doc
1st September 2006, 04:46
I've looked at them before but come to the conclusion they are just bling and expensive. Best way to get more hp out of a sporty is weight removal, Supertrapp and alloy wheels, save you 30lbs. Ive got 04 Nallin racing assembled factory heads on a 00 sporty and it really improved grunt around pulling out and passing trafic range. Personally I think the sporty design is fine as it is kept reasonably standard, 100hp in a buell they dont seem to last as long as. . Check out Buzz "Sportster performace" sensible alterations.

popelli
1st September 2006, 07:11
Or are these hyperchargers nothing but bling

about 95% bling and 5% performance

the performance improvement comes from the K&N filter that is used

the ram air efect tends to lean the carburetion out

The Pastor
1st September 2006, 08:17
the ram air efect tends to lean the carburetion out

The dyna jet kit would sort that out though?

So a "hyper charger" is just an air filter? I thought it was a turbo + supercharger with a shot of nos or somthing!

Lou Girardin
1st September 2006, 08:27
You can't beat the classic formula, more cubes, hotter cam, bigger carb, and exhaust

07fatboy
1st September 2006, 12:06
Dont stuff around with it get some good gear driven cams and a set of worked heads and there will be grin from ear to ear....my 2 cents

popelli
2nd September 2006, 08:00
Dont stuff around with it get some good gear driven cams

thought sporties came with gear driven cams? 4 of them to be precise courtesty of their side valve heritage when harley threw new heads on the k model as a stop gap measure until they came out with a new model

07fatboy
3rd September 2006, 01:32
[QUOTE=popelli;740354]thought sporties came with gear driven cams?

lets say Andrews N2 cams(good for light to light dragging or two up riding)which are high torqe (bottom end) power and some cnc'ed heads set you back 4K parts and labour ...As he already has pipes and air cleaner...makes for a very potent combo

Shadows
3rd September 2006, 21:12
Cheers, it seems like the consensus is working the cams and getting a head job, and the bolt on upgrades are a waste of time and money, all as I suspected.

I guess it'll have to wait until next Winter, Summer is way too close to even think about taking the bike off the road now!

And $4k would be a bit too much at the mo though, I'm still stinging from buying the bike and a new roof for the house... mind you I'm not sure if it would get as high as $4k for parts and labour, they must be some expensive cams 'cause I can get a good head job for the price of a bottle of wine and a nice dinner, or $60, if I'm in a hurry....

Shadows
3rd September 2006, 21:22
As you know SM, I have a Sportster 'S'.

It has a Screaming Eagle carb/airfilter unit and coils/leads/plugs etc iplus big-bore exhaust.

Most of the time I never need them BUT I know that with CB on board plus camping gear etc it will do 200kph+ - but then when the hell will you ever need to do it??

Your filter looks the shiz but guys that are into REAL performance will look at it and think "$100 gadget for $50 performance"..

Sorry if it bursts your bubble.

Bubble still in one piece mate... I thought bolt on upgrades were too good to be true.
If you have read some of my earlier posts you would know I'm not particularly interested in improving on 200kph+, and that like most I spend most of the time somewhere not too far away from the speed limit anyway, and yeah the Sporty does get there pretty quickly from any speed, but it could get there faster....