PDA

View Full Version : Textile riding gear

Pogo2
1st September 2006, 07:31
Over the years I have gradually replaced my leathers with "textile" riding gear such as courdura etc. Was wondering if these new materials needed to be treated periodically.

If they do, what do you use and how often do you do it?

Cheers

:scooter:

Lou Girardin
1st September 2006, 08:14
Wash them in a specific detergent like Nikwax Techwash once or twice a year. Follow the instructions to the letter and that's all you need. I've used an outer treatment to aid water repellency, but it's debatable whether you need it.

Swoop
1st September 2006, 08:42
My corduras absolutely stank in the summertime, so ended up getting washed almost once a week! I used normal detergent (cold water surf) and during this winter there has been absolutely no sign of leaking during the rain!
I have gone to leather for this summer...:yes:

Blackbird
1st September 2006, 09:09
Wash them in a specific detergent like Nikwax Techwash once or twice a year. Follow the instructions to the letter and that's all you need. I've used an outer treatment to aid water repellency, but it's debatable whether you need it.

The Nikwax Techwash really does the business:rockon: . With respect to additional proofing, it depends on what jacket you have. I had a Teknic jacket which leaked from new. Vifferman had the same problem and I followed his advice and used the spray-on heavy duty Scotchguard silicon spray which is used for cancas and tents. Works well, but you need to leave the jacket hanging up for a couple of days before use to let it wick in and for the solvents to evaporate. My Arlen Ness jacket seems to be pretty waterproof in all but the heaviest rain. If I'm going for a long haul in wet weather, I still use plastic over the cordura. In my case, a Spool 2 piece. I look like Michelin Man but I stay dry.:done:

Pogo2
1st September 2006, 21:15
:2thumbsup Thanks for all of your help. Will try the tech wash.

Flatcap
1st September 2006, 21:20
I had a Teknic jacket which leaked from new. Vifferman had the same problem and I followed his advice and used the spray-on heavy duty Scotchguard silicon spray which is used for cancas and tents.

I assume that scotchgard spray is available for the normal hardware store? Might got to the local Mitre10 tomorrow

Pathos
2nd September 2006, 01:36
I assume that scotchgard spray is available for the normal hardware store? Might got to the local Mitre10 tomorrow

theres been previous threads on this topic and one of the important points was any substance you use really should be fireproof or at least non-flammable for safety.