PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please ... Yamaha xvs650 Classic 2005

ktee
1st September 2006, 19:09
Anybody familiar with or have an opinion on this bike. Trademe ref: 64966735
What is considered a good ground clearance in a bike?

James Deuce
1st September 2006, 19:55
You buy what you LIKE. The only person you have to please is you.

Our opinions are worthless.

We're all a bit creepy too.

crashe
1st September 2006, 20:21
Any bike can be lowered to suit.....
some have only 3 to 4 inches ground clearance...

The less clearance the bike has the less you can ride a bike off a footpath onto the road... if you know what I mean...

I have seen a HOG with only 2 to 3 inches ground clearance...
that bike was LOW.

Best bet is thou if you are near the shop, go in a sit on the bike to see if that is what you like....

ktee
1st September 2006, 20:43
I can find very few reviews on this bike and thought a KBer might have a bit more knowledge or first hand experience as to how this bike handles, etc before I go out and buy it on looks. Cheers

TLDV8
1st September 2006, 23:17
There are some specs here.It says 2004 but looks like the same bike.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_xvs_650_a_dragstar_classic_2004.php

You could compare the ground clearance and seat height against the GN .
Ground clearance on the road is not to much of an issue on a smooth road.What can happen if you are cranked over for a corner and go through a hollow or similar,the suspension compressing can get the pegs contacting standing the bike up a bit.

http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motorcycles/bike-reviews/Yamaha/XVS650+Dragstar/174/

SlashWylde
2nd September 2006, 10:23
Hi Ktee. There are a lot of good cruiser reviews on http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/ Their server seems to be playing up at ther mo. If it resolves itself I'll find the section with the test rides and reviews and post a link.

SlashWylde
2nd September 2006, 10:35
Ahh, now its workin':

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/budget_v_twin_bike_comparison/

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/is_bigger_better/index.html

Some good reviews here, which helped me make up my mind when looking at the 650 to 1100cc range of Japanese cruisers. I ended up goin for the Vulcan 800 over the V-star 650 as I figured the 650 would be under powered for me, too small in size and the ground clearance too low for my needs.

The Honda Shadow 750 could be another one to look at as it has a bit more grunt than the 650, a saddle height of 25.9 inches, and at around $10k brand new they represent very good value for money.

Waylander
2nd September 2006, 10:43
Ground clearance is not really an issue aslong as you don't go crazy with your speed in corners. If you want to go quikly then get used to pegs scrapping cause it's gonna happen, more so on a bike with floorboards instead of pegs, but if you're just gonna cruise then don't worry about it so much.

Learn to ride the bike withing yours and its limits and you'll be sweet.

ktee
2nd September 2006, 19:13
I test rode the Yamaha today and am not convinced yet ... I will check out those sites out and test ride some others until I find 'THE' one. Cheers

Waylander
2nd September 2006, 19:15
The M50 (boulavard 800) handles pretty well and is not too high off the ground for seat hight if you're worried about that. Depends on your price range though.

ktee
2nd September 2006, 19:32
I took the S83 for a test ride today also ... nice ride but too big a bike for me. I have seen the M50 and S50 and YES am definitely going to ride them as soon as am able.

I found the pegs on the Yamaha too far forward for me, so that rules out a few of the others suggested as well ... but I want to stay with the cruiser styling.....hmmmm.

Waylander
2nd September 2006, 19:36
Don't remember too well with the M50 but I think the pegs are a bit closer than the Vstars not too sure though.
Had good grunt and the only problem I had when I test rode one was figureing out where to shift. Only riding air cooled bikes before that I kept thinking to shift early but the bike didn't like it too much. And no Tacho so I couldn't see when to shift. But that was only for hard out accelleration. Everything else was sweet as.

A guy here in Tauranga going by Bravo1 has one I'll try and get him to tell you more about it.

Alot of the Newer Cruisers do have your feet almost straight out in front unless you're really tall like me. You might try going back a few years to the Savages, Viragos, Magna and Shadows.

Waylander
2nd September 2006, 19:43
Came across this on here today aswell. Thought you might be interested.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=33439

The Pastor
2nd September 2006, 20:09
Personally I wouldnt get a crusier less than 1000cc. Big twins is where its at!

SlashWylde
2nd September 2006, 20:34
Personally I wouldnt get a crusier less than 1000cc. Big twins is where its at!

Depends on what you want from the bike. I can't vouch for the 1200 sporty but the 800 Vulcan performs well against it's peers in the 800 to 1100cc bracket.

It has enough power to compete with it's bigger siblings and she's light enough to be able to flick through corners. I think its a good balance of power, weight and handling for the money spent.

BAD DAD
2nd September 2006, 20:34
I rode an M50 recently while getting the S4 serviced and found it a lot of fun. Once I got used to the sitting position and gears, it was a hoot but I did scrape a couple of times while cornering up in the Waitakeres and that was at very conservative speeds.

Waylander
2nd September 2006, 20:36
Depends on what you want from the bike. I can't vouch for the 1200 sporty but the 800 Vulcan performs well against it's peers in the 800 to 1100cc bracket.

It has enough power to compete with it's bigger siblings and she's light enough to be able to flick through corners. I think its a good balance of power, weight and handling for the money spent.
Beats a 1100 Virago in the straights but only just.:yes: Handles well too And that's from a follwing point of view.

The Pastor
2nd September 2006, 22:58

Yeah, but your not like me, Im straight.

nudemetalz
4th September 2006, 12:30
The other thing to consider is if you lower a bike by it's suspension, the side stand will cause the bike to be leant more upright, making it more prone to blowing over in the wind.
Also, the centre-stand may be more difficult to use.

"D" FZ1
4th September 2006, 16:46
I have sold two XVS650's to ladies recently. One Classic & one Custom. They love them. We have one new 06 XVS650 Custom in stock at the moment that I can do a deal on if you are interested. PM me if you are keen.

NUTBAR
5th September 2006, 19:07
ok here are the hard facts on the M50.
Iv had it for almost a year now, have 17,900ks on the clock.
its a good bike for cruzzing (having done 1300ks in one day)
i have found that riding two up with gear it loses a bit of grunt.
but one up with gear its good,(left late modle ss comodore behind going up bombbays). have riddin custom version of the 800,(c50) slight change in handle bar position & seat.
only one complaint from the m50 is the braking could b better.(needs two disk on front & disk on rear)
corners very nicly, have scraped pegs a few times but cruzzers arnt made for knee scraping.