PDA

View Full Version : My bike's got the hiccups

knight rider
1st September 2006, 19:07
HI everyone I have a cbr250rr 1991. Whenever I give it heaps of gas it kinda hicups between 12,000rpm-14,000rpm these baby blades redline at 19,000rpm so it's a bit weird cause max tourque is at 12,000rpm & max hp is at 15,000rpm. I have had the carbs cleaned, jets cleaned, spark plugs changed (cold ones), oil & filter changed but don't know whats wrong with it. My mechanic said it might've been a race bike as the jets had been solderd & re drilled. When I first got the bike it ran on 98 but that was a hassle to get so I changed it to 95 as it's easy to get. I managed to get some 98 into it again & it went well for a day or 2 but now it's doing it again & it's so annoying. I tought if it was a race bike maybe it was tuned to run on 98????

any ideas anyone?

I'm no mecahnic so please put into simple terms for me please

Thanks guys & girls

07fatboy
3rd September 2006, 02:04
maybe it was tuned to run on 98????

any ideas anyone?

Thanks guys & girls[/QUOTE]

may be you answered it your self....try rejetting the carb with carby kit for the 95 petrol you talking about ,nu filters,check for manifold leaks...just some ideas ...good luck...
---------------------------
thats about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike

rookie
3rd September 2006, 21:42
HI everyone I have a cbr250rr 1991. Whenever I give it heaps of gas it kinda hicups between 12,000rpm-14,000rpm these baby blades redline at 19,000rpm so it's a bit weird cause max tourque is at 12,000rpm & max hp is at 15,000rpm. I have had the carbs cleaned, jets cleaned, spark plugs changed (cold ones), oil & filter changed but don't know whats wrong with it. My mechanic said it might've been a race bike as the jets had been solderd & re drilled. When I first got the bike it ran on 98 but that was a hassle to get so I changed it to 95 as it's easy to get. I managed to get some 98 into it again & it went well for a day or 2 but now it's doing it again & it's so annoying. I tought if it was a race bike maybe it was tuned to run on 98????

any ideas anyone?

Thanks guys & girls

do u notice any smoke when its sputtering??
i have heard of issues where dirty air filters have led to bikes not revving freely...personally when i first bought my bike i changed the air filter-which had very clearly not been changed for quite a while and was clogged with all sorts of nasties and literally disintegrated in my hands when i tried to remove it.

Ok back to the carbs...you had them cleaned, did you also have them syncronised??...doesnt matter if they're clean if they arent spitting out the right ratio.

my 2c

best of luck

knight rider
3rd September 2006, 22:07
do u notice any smoke when its sputtering??
i have heard of issues where dirty air filters have led to bikes not revving freely...personally when i first bought my bike i changed the air filter-which had very clearly not been changed for quite a while and was clogged with all sorts of nasties and literally disintegrated in my hands when i tried to remove it.

Ok back to the carbs...you had them cleaned, did you also have them syncronised??...doesnt matter if they're clean if they arent spitting out the right ratio.

my 2c

best of luck

nah don't notice any smoke. as for the air filter it gets cleaned regulary when it gets serviced

when they were cleaned I don't know if they were sycronised. How do I tell?

knight rider
3rd September 2006, 22:08
maybe it was tuned to run on 98????

any ideas anyone?

Thanks guys & girls

may be you answered it your self....try rejetting the carb with carby kit for the 95 petrol you talking about ,nu filters,check for manifold leaks...just some ideas ...good luck...
---------------------------
thats about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike[/QUOTE]

have been running it on 98 but still does it. how do I rejett the carbs?

knight rider
3rd September 2006, 22:10
ok I will buy a dozen beers for someone to fix this problem for me

imdying
4th September 2006, 18:48
If you're only using half throttle, can you coax it through the bad patch at 12-14 without any problem?

knight rider
5th September 2006, 01:54
If you're only using half throttle, can you coax it through the bad patch at 12-14 without any problem?

sorry to sound dumb but whats coax?

at half throttle it was doing it & at full throttle it was doing it. wasn't doing it today when I went for a ride so maybe it's gone? am gonna try again tomorrow. Couldn't it have been bad fuel or something?

knight rider
6th September 2006, 01:09
some days it does it & some days it doesn't it didn't do it on monday but it did it all day on tuesday. Weird

rookie
6th September 2006, 07:46
nah don't notice any smoke. as for the air filter it gets cleaned regulary when it gets serviced

when they were cleaned I don't know if they were sycronised. How do I tell?

Hey man

generally if the carbs aren't syncronised...it makes the bike run a bit rough.

mine would cough and splutter when i first put the throttle on and kinda took a little while to get goin(coughed and spluttered a bit before the power arrived)

it seemed to do it, regardless of revs. Although between 17 to 19,000, guys behind me would comment about black smoke - meaning that the carbs werent tuned right.

Another way of telling is excess fuel consumption....ive always struggled to get 200km from a tank including reserve....apparently thats not much compared to what i should be getting

knight rider
8th September 2006, 00:49
yeah thats gota be the carbs thanks guys/girls :)