PDA

View Full Version : Sugilites 1st shake down at Manfield on the new bike

sugilite
1st September 2006, 23:33
After putting on just over 1500 km's running the bike in, I changed the oil, took the mirrors and number plate holder off, threw some old slicks on and headed out to todays test day held at Manfield to start shaking down the Richard Leong Racing/Hewitts Motorcycles ZX10R

I got to the track and there were only 5 bikes, and a handful of cars, so they scheduled us 1/2 hour sessions, sweet, plenty of time to make suspension changes!

1st session: I put in 5 laps in and came in to change the gearing and stiffen the suspension up front and rear.

2nd session: I started to feel comfortable on the bike, but still took it easy all day as it still has the original fairings on.
I was timed at a 1:10.8 early in the session. So after only 8 laps on the track I'd already beaten my personal best around Manfield, and on a STOCK bike to boot, sweet :yes:

3rd session: Stiffened the suspension up yet more and put in more laps. I noticed the brakes fading and the rear shock going off about 5 laps in. I was still bottoming the forks out under brakes. I did manage one near perfect lap, it was not timed, but it felt a lot faster than the laps I was doing 10's.

4th session: I put on another tyre as I'd worn the other rear past the wear dots, opps. I maxed out the suspension onto it's hardest settings at both ends. I was still bottoming out the forks and the rear shock was crying enough after 4 to 5 laps (the bike started snaking out of the corners, esp higgans) and I managed to wear the rest of the rear out in one session as the overheated standard shock was transferring much of the force straight to the rear tyre.

There was no point doing any further sessions after that since I was maxed out on the settings. So I loaded the bike with the satisfaction of knowing I'd already beaten my previous best time around manfield.

Observations on the ZX10R.
After going one tooth down on the front sprocket, and 2 teeth up on the back, I was still not hooking top gear on the track. Once we get that sorted, acceleration will improve.
I can get on the gas WAY earlier on this bike than I could on the 9 and brake WAY later! I loooooove slipper clutches :love:
I was braking real late with the back stepping out just a little as I banged it down the gears, the back would come into line at the apex just in time to open the throttle, she would then just hook up and buggar off, I was astounded at the levels of traction I could get on rooted tyres past their wear dots and the tightness of the lines I could hold.
Fuel injection and the throttle control it brings just plain rocks!:Punk:

Items arriving next week to install for the MotoTT track day coming this Friday.
Ohlins rear shock.
Stiffer front fork springs.
Braided brake lines.
And maybe a gearing solution, possibly a 520 conversion kit.

In all, it was a really good shake down me thinks.
A special thanks to Richard for securing the parts needed for the upgrades and to Hewitts for letting me use their workshop and assisting me. They are a great group of guys and really helped me out big time.:yes:

texmo
1st September 2006, 23:54
Awesome dude, I wanna come down just to watch you race, 1:08 is fucking good for your first time on that bike, and its stock....
Congats.

kiwifruit
2nd September 2006, 00:04
wicked, look 4rd to seeing it on friday

not many people can tame such power, it really is amazing for the rest of us to see,
at risk of sounding like a broken record.... your a beast man. :rockon:

texmo
2nd September 2006, 00:07
I just realised that 1:06 is superbike times, and your doing 1:08 on a stock bike....

skelstar
2nd September 2006, 00:51
Thats awesome Sugi. Have a bloody good weekend up at Taupo. Wouldnt mind making the trip now....

Deano
2nd September 2006, 01:50
Those F1 boys are in BIG trouble !!

sugilite
2nd September 2006, 08:16
wicked, look 4rd to seeing it on friday

not many people can tame such power, it really is amazing for the rest of us to see,
at risk of sounding like a broken record.... your a beast man. :rockon:

Cheers bro, I'm looking forward to seeing the latest revised version of the track and testing out the new goodies!

I just realised that 1:06 is superbike times, and your doing 1:08 on a stock bike....

My timed lap was in the 1:10's (1:10.8)
The lap in session 3 felt a lot faster, but who really knows, I've been caught out by seat of the pants lap times before.
For the record, the fastest lap at last years nats in the superbike class was a 1.07.3

Those F1 boys are in BIG trouble !!

With another 30 hp, yeah, maybe.

I need to find 3 seconds to match last years pace. With the suspension sorted, new tyres, warmer track and bike familiararity....who knows.

Horsepower is not as a bigger issue down south, but at present getting the budget to do those rounds looks a distant possibility at best. Shame, I like those tracks!

The teams main aim is to establish ourselves as the premier Kawasaki team and do our upmost to find sponsorship/support, then take it from there.

Thanks for the words of support guys!

cowpoos
2nd September 2006, 09:58
awesome bro....can imagine your cheeky will be getting sore by now!!!

Uncle B
2nd September 2006, 18:29
I can just see it.
It's 2am and this crazed man is seen pacing up and down with Einstein looking hair muttering....

must go faster....

must go faster....

MUST GO FASTER!!!

me thinks the next round is going to be interesting.
Awesome Sugilite.

chanceyy
2nd September 2006, 18:44
great stuff Ant .. will look forward to the next round :Punk: :first: :2thumbsup :banana: :wari:

mikey
2nd September 2006, 22:03
your my hero. if i can go as fast as you on your 750 my 600 ill sleep happy.

T.W.R
2nd September 2006, 22:17
For a first waltz with the new bike on the track your going to scare the buggery out of most when the 10 gets moulded into shape :Punk:

just like new gloves, they feel good to start with but once they're worn a few times they become comfy :yes:

vtec
3rd September 2006, 02:10
Can't wait to see you on the ZX10, but I'm a bit worried, that it might be a little boring if you are way out front, we'll see how it goes.

Dafe
3rd September 2006, 19:08
Wicked stuff Sugi!

Next round, I'm gonna tag along for a looksie......

cowboyz
3rd September 2006, 19:25
I would have come for a look but it would just be embarassing being lapped on the first lap./

emaN
5th September 2006, 12:11
Wikkid dude!
Awesome to see a litre bike being used as intended!
Look forward to seeing you blat around on Friday

Crasherfromwayback
5th September 2006, 21:52
gizza ride on ya bike Mista.....tell Richard I said it was ok!

He did buy plenty of crash spares too didn't he??

Glad to see you're going well and enjoying it mate!

Impressive times.

Pete

sugilite
5th September 2006, 23:27
your my hero. if i can go as fast as you on your 750 my 600 ill sleep happy.
You better invest in some sleeping pills, I just scored a FULL FACTORY race kit for the 750 from Jason McEwan. It will take it from 90 to 130 hp :yes:
Richard "may" even have time to put in a few items from it for next race, like cams n carbs, n ecu!

Can't wait to see you on the ZX10, but I'm a bit worried, that it might be a little boring if you are way out front, we'll see how it goes.
Big guns always come out the woodwork for the last few rounds of the actrix series, so unlikely I'll have an easy time, not to mention others upping their game.

Pete

You called it squashed and fat looking, I told the bike, it wants to have a word with you buster!

Check out the photo, Santa Richard delivered the goodies :gob:
I'll be busy n Hewitts workshop tomorrow me thinks!!!

Crasherfromwayback
5th September 2006, 23:38
You called it squashed and fat looking, I told the bike, it wants to have a word with you buster!

It'll be squashed if you give me a ride on the fucking thing mate!

mikey
5th September 2006, 23:55
nah other way round mate

guess what i found today

anti psych pills in my cornflakes. not doing breakfast anymore,
you'd best watch out in f1!

when you lap me

babyB
6th September 2006, 00:20
:shit: so gesses was a good run then :yes: lol

dickytoo
6th September 2006, 19:29

Pete

I think we could arrange that if Anthony can find the training wheels :D :rofl:

Crasherfromwayback
6th September 2006, 19:40
I think we could arrange that if Anthony can find the training wheels :D :rofl:

They're not hard to find mate, they're still attached to my RMZ after Wanganui!

dickytoo
6th September 2006, 20:13

Geez, it's another bloody week at the grindstone to pay off this bloody lot. you're like the bloody kid i never had!

cowpoos
6th September 2006, 21:57
Geez, it's another bloody week at the grindstone to pay off this bloody lot. you're like the bloody kid i never had!
whens my bike showing up?

dickytoo
6th September 2006, 22:32
whens my bike showing up?

when i win lotto! i told anthony that he was going to have to use chinese donuts for tyres. if he wanted something better, then he better go down to the docks and wait for the navy ships to come in!

how's the repairs on your bike coming along? anthony told me it was a rocket ship.

Motoracer
6th September 2006, 22:46
Wow! That's unreal!...

Well done, you de man!

slowpoke
7th September 2006, 01:34
how's the repairs on your bike coming along? anthony told me it was a rocket ship.

Houston to the shuttle "Cowpoos": we have lift off!!