PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Tyre Choices

Motig
2nd September 2006, 10:57
It seems to me that you people are missing the point regarding what the best tyre for your bike is. As you will realise tyre manufacturers spend millions developing new tyres to sell to eager bikers, however you will note that the shape over all these years has still remained circular and they do have the occasional problem with the people who supply their rubber hence having to say some tyres are a soft compound, some are hard and then covering the inconsistency by calling them various types ie Race,Tourer etc.
Well the truth is you should be buying your next tyre based on the artistically produced pretty patterns that they call tread (for those whose sight is not so good thats the rough bits you feel on your tyre,some of you may even decipher the hidden message) So when you buy your next tyre get the macho looking one (or the not so macho one if you prefer) It'll work for you.Honest. Go on make a statement on your attitude to life.
I'm of for a beer now.:mellow:

Lou Girardin
2nd September 2006, 11:08
Is that how you do it? I thought you bought what the racers use. If it works on the track, it must be great for the road, right?

Motu
2nd September 2006, 11:44
Not really - most road riders are faster than the racers,so they are probably better off with a qualifying tyre.

Ixion
2nd September 2006, 11:53
It's all based on knob size. The bigger your knob, the knobblier your tyres need to be.

TLDV8
2nd September 2006, 11:56
I work on the assumption..If it is round and black and the air is at the bottom, you are off to a good start.

Lou Girardin
2nd September 2006, 12:12
Not really - most road riders are faster than the racers,so they are probably better off with a qualifying tyre.

I tried one once, I shaved .557 secs off my commute.

Flyingpony
4th September 2006, 12:41
It seems to me that you people are missing the point regarding what the best tyre for your bike is. As you will realise tyre manufacturers spend millions developing new tyres to sell.

Well the truth is you should be buying your next tyre based on the artistically produced pretty patterns that they call tread.
With all the money they are spending on designing tyres, they still haven't figured out how to make tread self-level so it doesn't wear out in the middle and be left untouched on the outer edges.

steved
4th September 2006, 14:00
With all the money they are spending on designing tyres, they still haven't figured out how to make tread self-level so it doesn't wear out in the middle and be left untouched on the outer edges.
How about dual-compound tyres? Hard in the middle, soft on the sides. That or you could ride more on the sides of your tyres.

James Deuce
4th September 2006, 14:13
I work on the assumption..If it is round and black and the air is at the bottom, you are off to a good start.

Don't forget that it HAS to be special motorcycle tyre air.

Hitcher
4th September 2006, 14:23
Exhaled by nubile virgins and bottled under the careful supervision of Trappists. And carefully certified as to its pressure (the inside-out system, otherwise known as ISO).

Fatjim
4th September 2006, 14:29

Supercheap autos are selling motorcycle air at the mo in 4 litre packs for $1.95.

Lil_Byte
4th September 2006, 15:43

Bugger I have been using the stuff they use for cars. It won't hurt my bike will it :scooter:

James Deuce
4th September 2006, 15:58
Car air is MUCH heavier so it affects unsprung weight. Big deal for bikes.

hXc
4th September 2006, 16:04
What about the funny markings on the side wall? Are they of any importance, or can I sand them off, 'cause they sort of "cramp my style".

Also, does it matter if the markings are upside down? 'Cause when they're at the top of the tyre I can't read them.

MSTRS
4th September 2006, 16:08
Car air is MUCH heavier so it affects unsprung weight. Big deal for bikes.

For heaven's sake Jim....everyone knows that you just use 1/2 as much. Sheeesh!!

Edbear
4th September 2006, 19:23
Back in the day they had a special front tyre, it was known as the "pleasure ribbed" tyre...:yes:

Had one on the T500, and it sure was a pleasure to ride, though worked better with the Missus on the back.:innocent: :innocent: