PDA

View Full Version : Engineering work wanted...

petesmeats
2nd September 2006, 13:26
Hey guys i wasn't really sure where to post this thread as it doesn't really have much to do with riding or motorbikes but i thought this was the most appropriate one... Im sorry if it is a bit off topic though.

Anyway, I am an currently studying mechanical engineering at Canterbury University and the engineering degree requires me to do some practical work experience in the industry, and i was wondering whether anyone on here knew anyone who was an engineer or had an engineering firm where they needed someone to work for a couple of months over summer. I am in my first professional year of the degree (second year overall) and so the work that i have to do is general workshop work. I have had a very small amount of experience using lathes, mills, welders, CNC and general workshop use. I also do all my (copious amounts of) motorbike maintenance and fixing myself so know my way around all motorbike maintenance apart from engine work as i have never had to do any work on my bike engines. I do however have a fairly decent general understanding about how they work.

I will be living in Paraparaumu for the summer and so any work from levin to wellington and the hutt will be sweet as... Gives me an excuse to ride every day.

If anyone knows anyone who would be interested could you let me know and i will get in touch with them.

Cheers heaps in advance and once again i am sorry for posting this here but it seemed like the best place for it.

Regards
Pete

onearmedbandit
2nd September 2006, 13:29
Pahh, mostly motorcycle related so I'll leave it here. Good luck to you mate.

Fatjim
2nd September 2006, 13:57
Any idea what you'd get out of bed for in terms of hourly rate?

petesmeats
2nd September 2006, 14:06
I would take pretty much anything.

thealmightytaco
2nd September 2006, 14:09
Spanner work doesn't count for the prac work requirement at Cantab, I got my degree there a couple years ago now, ya have to be fabricating. Just go asking around the place, there used to be a few good places in Woolston that would take uni folk on. Good luck.

petesmeats
2nd September 2006, 14:11
Yeah sorry i should have been more clear on this... The mechanical engineering department is pretty strict about what is acceptable work... It needs to be fabricating as thealmightytaco just said. Cheers.

EDIT: Yeah if worst comes to worst i might be able to stay in christchurch for the summer but would prefer work in the wellington/manawatu region.

thealmightytaco
2nd September 2006, 14:31
Tell ya what though, Nagul is the greatest lecturer ever.

petesmeats
2nd September 2006, 14:45
Yeah i got him for 223 (mechanics of machines) dammit... It's hard enough as it is without him lecturing it... I actually HATE him.

Sorry Nagul if your reading this.... My name isn't actually pete.

Skunk
2nd September 2006, 16:16
Ring every shop in the Yellowpages. Metalworx in Wellington is the place I get my steel from (cos it's next door). Metalworx 58-60 Vivian St, Wellington 0-4-384 5113. There's a bike shop across the road too.

petesmeats
2nd September 2006, 16:54
Ring every shop in the Yellowpages. Metalworx in Wellington is the place I get my steel from (cos it's next door). Metalworx 58-60 Vivian St, Wellington 0-4-384 5113. There's a bike shop across the road too.

Yup cheers for the advice... I just thought i might see if anybody on here knows anyone... It seemed like a better way of doing it rather than just cold calling... I will no doubt get onto the whole yellowpages thing soon if i don't find anything soonish. Got a good PM though which was good.
I will keep this place in mind...

EDIT: 100th post... Good times