PDA

View Full Version : SV1000 INLET & EXHAUST-What works??

CHR1S
2nd September 2006, 19:28
Just running in me new bike and I cant help but think these twins could sound a whole lot better!

Can anyone shed any light on what a good value fix for the sewing machine like note?? I like the look of carbons but I'm told that twins destroy them??
From what I can gather most the aftermarket suff is 2" straight through, does this get a little too loud? Cant imagine there'd be much difference in gains between brands?? Do TL mufflers fit? (Bit skimpt after buying the bike so considering 2nd hand aftermarkets..anyone got any?!)

Also,anyone fitted a K&N?? What sort of gains?? Any probs with the injection??

Cheers in advance!

imdying
2nd September 2006, 19:48
I've Micron carbons, they're good. Met a guy today with 3 years on his Remus carbons, they look mint. The days of inadequate quality of carbon cans appears to over, twins seem to like them ok. Pretty sure some of the 916 range bikes had them factory

After market cans are loud... I took the baffles out of mine and run em 'race spec', they're loud, but not too obnoxiously so. TL mufflers fit iirc, but you can debaffle the stock ones. Check out http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/index.php for heaps of info. There's another SV1000 exhaust thread on here I posted heaps of info in.

K&N, not worth it. Take the snorkle out of the airbox (common mod) that makes em loud :yes:

2much
2nd September 2006, 22:11
Hi Chr1s, welcome to the site mate. Nice bike you've got there mate and you're right, they desperately need a decent set of pipes.

Carbonfibre doesn't really like vibration too much and eventually disintegrate. Twins and vibration naturally go together. It's not really a problem if you don't plan on hanging onto the bike for years (well it'll be someone elses problem anyway). Check out neptune, they make black carbonfibre-lookalike pipes especially for twins.

As for a filter, I brought a k&n more for the savings in the long run rather than the performance gains, as they're minimal. For initial mods, i would recommend a TRE. I can make you one if you like, don't buy a commercial one cause they're a fucken ripoff.

Come down the pub for a beer on thursday night mate, you'll find the thread about it on here somewhere otherwise click on Dingdong's signature.

98tls
2nd September 2006, 22:32
Am sure you could take the stock ones apart and back together again minus a bit or two....guy i work with has a set of carbon Arrows on his SV and sound nice and seem to be holding up ok...mind you he rides like a pussy....

imdying
4th September 2006, 18:21
Don't waste your money on a TRE for an SV (ok, so it's only 15c). It won't make it go any better, but will mess with your idle a little. Do get it remapped to suit your cans. Your dealer can do it for bugger all, and is worth every single penny.

Unit
4th September 2006, 18:29
Welcome to SV world. I had a set of Yoshi's fitted on my new SV when I got it in June. I had standard pipes on my TL, and the noise just wasnt there. I love the roar of the twin especially through decent pipes, and although some people might find it tiresome on a long journey, I dont mind at all. The bike is back firing a little at odd times, not consistant but its there, it may be running a bit lean (so the boys tell me), so I do need to get that sorted. I intend to hang onto my bike for a while, so it will be interesting to see how well everything on it stands the test of time. Good luck with getting yours sorted (and turn on the good weather for me later this week as I cruise through your turf):scooter:

paturoa
4th September 2006, 19:20
Took a std pipe bike for a test ride and yawn with the std cans. The bike I finaly got (private sale) has Microns and they are middle loud.

I heard one the other day with yoshi cans and I suspect pbaffles removed, it was just too loud , but, SHITE it sounded good

CHR1S
5th September 2006, 20:29
Cheers for your help guys (and girls!) Reckon I'll have to sort me out some pipes soon!