PDA

View Full Version : C-spanner for shock pre-load adj

SlashWylde
3rd September 2006, 19:36
Hey folks,

just wondering if anyone out there would have a C-spanner I could borrow, suitable for adjusting pre-load on my bikes rear shock? See attached pic.

It's factory set to the softest setting and I want to wind it up a bit.

riffer
3rd September 2006, 21:24
Check with Frosty - he may have one.

If all else fails, go to tradetools. I got my Facom one from them.

Here's the link to the tool: (http://www.tradetools.co.nz/cgi-bin/?E4TRANSID=dfqycqHbeUerrqgnfEziGP7zarrbEasg&TARGETPGM=TTLWDICL&MODE=*DISPLAY&ITEM=9506560)

SlashWylde
3rd September 2006, 22:28
Check with Frosty - he may have one.

If all else fails, go to tradetools. I got my Facom one from them.

Here's the link to the tool: (http://www.tradetools.co.nz/cgi-bin/?E4TRANSID=dfqycqHbeUerrqgnfEziGP7zarrbEasg&TARGETPGM=TTLWDICL&MODE=*DISPLAY&ITEM=9506560)

Good ideas. Thanks.

Madness
3rd September 2006, 22:36
You should find Teng-Tools do them cheaper than Facom too, B&T do a lot with Teng. Facom is good stuff, but a bit pricey and French.

Turtle
3rd September 2006, 23:22
Hey folks,

just wondering if anyone out there would have a C-spanner I could borrow, suitable for adjusting pre-load on my bikes rear shock? See attached pic.

No worries.....forward yr address & I will send one yr way for the use of.
Although a lot of people just use a large pair of polygrips.

SlashWylde
4th September 2006, 19:17
No worries.....forward yr address & I will send one yr way for the use of.
Although a lot of people just use a large pair of polygrips.

Yeah, I tried the poly-grips but couldn't get a...erm..grip on the collar.

Best use the right tool for the job eh. Thanks for the offer Turtle, will send a PM shortly.

Animal
10th September 2006, 01:14
Hey folks,

G'day Slash,

Just curious... did you ever get this issue resolved? I can make a spanner for you if you're interested. Pm me and we can thrash out the details.

Cheers for now,

CADanimal

SlashWylde
10th September 2006, 09:35
G'day Slash,

Just curious... did you ever get this issue resolved? I can make a spanner for you if you're interested. Pm me and we can thrash out the details.

Cheers for now,

CADanimal

Hey man, thanks for the offer that's really generous of you. A couple of members offered to mail me their spanners which I accepted. They arrived a couple days ago so I jacked the rear wheel off the ground and got stuck in. Boy it wasn't easy. The shock is tucked away in the cradle under the seat as you can see in my first post above. I had squeeze my hands in there, set up the spanner then haul on it with the tips of my fingers to get the collar to rotate, but I got there in the end. Pre-load is now on the hardest setting.

I haven't had a chance to give her a good test run through our local twisties but from the short run I had on Friday before the weather packed in it's obvious that the ground clearance has improved markedly and she certainly feels firmer in the rear end. Mmmm....I like a girl with a firm rear end.....

Ah hem...back on topic. Big thanks to Turtle and Jim2 for loaning me your spanners, they both were put to good use. This for me is one of the great things about the motorcycling and the KB community - good folks helping each other out without a seconds hesitation. :niceone: Rep coming your way.

aff-man
10th September 2006, 10:26
Ah hem...back on topic. Big thanks to Turtle and Jim2 for loaning me your spanners, they both were put to good use. This for me is one of the great things about the motorcycling and the KB community - good folks helping each other out without a seconds hesitation. :niceone: Rep coming your way.

so you finally got that saggy ass sorted.... just a note you might want to adjust your dampening if you've wound the preload up. But take her for a blat first and see how she handels...

manwithav8
4th November 2007, 13:47
I am kind of int he same boat here. I ned to adjust my preload as it is set to the hardest setting and only weighing 65Kg I get quite a dance and bounce on in corners.. My ass end is all over the show and gets a little concerning at times....

Now The guru (Robert Taylor ) has advised I set my ride height first then do the preload or static sag as you may... I have noticed people saying if you adjust this you need to adjust your dampning aswell...

My question is how do you know how much you shouod have. Short of going for a ride over a fmilar road, is there a technical way to obtain the correct dampning?

I have only had my bike for 4 months and it is my first bike so have nothing to compare it against and experience in the way a bike should handle isn't exactly something to rave about...

Oh and I need spanners too lol.... Anyone near palmy that has some to lend or know of a shop where i can get my own.???