PDA

View Full Version : What's up with ape hangers and highway pegs?

Insanity_rules
4th September 2006, 10:06
Well I was stuck in the cage on my way home from work (as you do) and was day dreaming watching bikers go past, when this dude on a hog blew past with these huge ape hanger bars and WIDE highway pegs (That looked like they didn't have brakes or gear change on em). This guy looked like what I'd imagine a leather clad starfish to look like and his bike was about three quarters the width of my car (which is reasonably big by the way).

My question having only riden sporties is why? I mean he didn't look too stable and must have had the aero dynamics of a brick. OK it looked kinda cool but who out there would spend money to slow themselves down.

I like looking at Harleys don't get me wrong and I love the way they sound but I just don't get it. Do any of you?

Wasp
4th September 2006, 10:13
Up on the hill the other weekend a guy on a hog came up with such high handle bars that he looked like one of those monkeys that jump through the air with their hands up (spider monkeys?). we quietly sniggered amog us at the foolish sight.

forget aerodynamics (although at 100km/h youd get sore after awhile) it looks down right uncomfortable.

scumdog
4th September 2006, 10:15
It's all about S-T-Y-L-E, baby..:yes: :yes: :rockon:

Squeak the Rat
4th September 2006, 10:19
Why? Because they can......

:second:

crashe
4th September 2006, 10:20
I reckon 'ape-hangers' are really cool.
Yeah I saw "Easy Rider" and that was it for me...

I also did wonder about how the arms being up there for long rides would be at the end of a long ride etc.
One day I got to ask a dude on his bike with these said 'ape-hanger's' on his bike as he pulled up beside me at a set of lights.

He said they are easy to hold and your arms get used to it and they dont get that tired.

There are some that are really high ones and some are really wide ones.
The ones that are really hard wouldn't be so great if you were wanting to lane split...:whistle:

Dooly
4th September 2006, 10:33
The starfish look always cracks me up.:laugh:

Motu
4th September 2006, 10:33
A lot of customising is about extremes,taking one point almost to a parody,ape hangers are one example - there are some sportsbikes customised into unriderbility too.

Mild apehangers are pretty cool to ride with,comfortable and handling is not a problem.Bizare is bizare,some people like the bizare....

McJim
4th September 2006, 10:39
It's just horses for courses really - personal taste.

Personally if I spend a lot of money on a bike I'd want:

efficiency
economy
performance
handling

People who buy stuff engineered by Americans are willing to forego these attributes and pay a premium to boot. We are talking about a nation that can make a 5.4Litre engine that still only produces about 150bhp after all!

Europeans and Japs - the technologically enlightened - thats where I'll spend my money.

pritch
4th September 2006, 10:44
It's all about S-T-Y-L-E, baby

There may be a fine line between "style" and posing, but apehangers are probably the wrong side of the line.

Then again that's just me being a believer in function over form rather than the other way around...

Squeak the Rat
4th September 2006, 11:18
Look at that guy on that F4 sports bike. How the hell can you ride with all your weight on your wrist? Fine for going faster than the speed limit, but what if you want to cruise around the waterfront or go perv outside the university? I just don't get it........

Each to their own I guess. Though I did see a guy with serious arm stretching ape-hangers get a wobble-on once on the motorway. Was a scary sight.....

Finn
4th September 2006, 11:27
I don't know. Next time, why don't you ask one of them. I'm sure they'll offer a perfectly good explanation.

Sportsbikes aren't exactly super comfortable either.

skelstar
4th September 2006, 11:41
I like this kinda stuff. AmChooper marathon yesterday, very cool.

scumdog
4th September 2006, 11:57
More of a T-bars and high-way peg type of rider myself, find it very comfortable on long trips.

Swoop
4th September 2006, 12:29
It's all about S-T-Y-L-E, baby..:yes: :yes: :rockon:

Why am I hearing the voice used on that "cotton softs" toiletpaper advert???
"It's all about s-t-y-l-e darling!"

:laugh:

SwanTiger
4th September 2006, 12:41
Something different is always good for the soul.

Paul in NZ
4th September 2006, 12:56
You asked?

Whats up with ape hangers and highway pegs?

You arms and feet are up! Otherwise they would be clip ons and rear sets.

07fatboy
4th September 2006, 13:37
Different Strokes for different folks:
I have a set of 18inch bars which i find not too (not looking like a starfish)high,thats probably borderline for comfort but have no dramas for around town and short runs 2hrs....but when i go up north every 3 months i change to pull back drags as your on the road 10 hours or more... only about an hour changing cables and extensions. My apes a fine in traffic ie.lanesplitting and is more for looks and it does have its down fall performance handling in corners and rough road

buellbabe
4th September 2006, 14:59
WHY?
Cos when you are riding a bike like that you feel bulletproof and ten feet tall, not to mention being the baddest mother-f**ker on the road.
THATS why!
:Punk:
Its a total blast!:devil2:

Deano
4th September 2006, 15:18
not to mention being the baddest mother-f**ker on the road.

You haven't met 'Aprilia' Barry.........

skidz
4th September 2006, 17:23
I'll just stick to my 14" at the moment. If you get them too high they hurt your back as you can be leaning back too much.

sunhuntin
4th September 2006, 18:46
not sure about apes, but im dying for a set of highway pegs....my knees are stuffed after being hit by that car last year, and get bloody sore on long rides, just from being cramped up. i love to be able to stretch out sometimes. shoved myself on to the pillion seat yesterday coming home, but then i had poor control of the bars.

did see a gn that had a mild set of apes that looked great....a bit higher than the stocks. my style...i truly thought it was a harley till it was right in front of me, lol.

vs04
4th September 2006, 21:13
not sure about apes, but im dying for a set of highway pegs....my knees are stuffed after being hit by that car last year, and get bloody sore on long rides, just from being cramped up. i love to be able to stretch out sometimes. shoved myself on to the pillion seat yesterday coming home, but then i had poor control of the bars.

did see a gn that had a mild set of apes that looked great....a bit higher than the stocks. my style...i truly thought it was a harley till it was right in front of me, lol.

There,s a guy in the triumph club that makes that sort of thing.Let me know if you,re interested and i,ll find out more for you.See, another reason why you should join.lol.

Waylander
4th September 2006, 23:11
ANything that takes your arms higher than making your hands level with your shoulder is just silly to me but hey each to thier own. Why do it to a V-rod though? Just cut the handeling in halve and isn't that the point of getting a Vrod? a Harley that handles?

Anyway I'm with Scumdong on this one. Tbars or drag bars.

And highway pegs are to stretch your legs out on long straight road rides. No idea why they would use them in city traffic though other than image thing, but then it was a harley.

selectedgrub
5th September 2006, 08:56
There is a difference between hiway pegs and forward controls.
Like Waylander says I wouldn't use hiway pegs in traffic..

scumdog
5th September 2006, 09:43
There is a difference between hiway pegs and forward controls.
Like Waylander says I wouldn't use hiway pegs in traffic..

I use my hi-way pegs anytime I'm not actually at a standstill and I don't have to change gear.

Personal choice and it's comfortable.
(Mind you, we don't got no traffic lights, rond-a-ma-bouts and lane filtering down here in the Riviera of the South.:Punk: )

Big Dave
5th September 2006, 11:47
When a man gets to a certain age the loose skin under his arms flaps like chicken giblets in the wind with arms up on the ape hangers.

Always a good look.

sunhuntin
5th September 2006, 16:48
There,s a guy in the triumph club that makes that sort of thing.Let me know if you,re interested and i,ll find out more for you.See, another reason why you should join.lol.

lol. ill catch up with the group at some stage and ask around. froggyfrenchman said he'd make me a set, but i never heard back.

Insanity_rules
5th September 2006, 17:46
Thanks guys, that at least gives me some insight. I've had a couple of rides on my uncles Harley and that has normal pegs and straight bars. I found that pretty comfortable but being a short basket highway pegs would have stuffed me stupid.
Kinda thought ape hangers would have made his bike a real biarch to handle too. Also got the warning "drop it and leave the country quick!"....... I can understand that.