PDA

View Full Version : All noise and no go, NC30 poked

Postie
4th September 2006, 10:50
I was at Puke on Saturday for the testing day, it took me about 4 hours to get the engine started as it flooded and it has dwaf 13m plugs, so I had to find a plug socket small enough to remove the plugs so I could clean and dry them. Once that was done, the bike fired up but was idling around 7,000 rpm, some one suggested this may be caused by an air leak if I have not correctly installed the carbs or something, who knows, all I know is it was revving its tits off and the idle knob and throttle cable, nor the choke cable was at fault.
Anyway, I figure that I might be able to put it round the track even though its idling high, so I select a gear and it takes alot to slip the clutch t get drive and it isn't going very fast, i only get to use 1st gear. I stopped/stalled and then restarted, put it in gear and a lound clunking saw the end of any drive what so ever. With the engine running, I can select anygear but it won't engage, the gear shifter moves as it should but the engine doesn't stall as it should if I select a gear with no clutch. On the stand, the engine is running, select a gear and nothing. Although I had it on the stand at one point and I revved the engine close to the red line and the wheel started to spin, but not very fast. My first though was a destroyed gearbox, but after looking at the manual and having a think, I now wonder if its damaged the shift fork, drum or gear shift spindle.

Does anybody have any other thoughs?
I will also take the clutch out to see if that has been damaged, but there were no signs of clutch failure prior to the sweet sound of metal on metal.

Zed
4th September 2006, 11:10
I was at Puke on Saturday for the testing day, it took me about 4 hours to get the engine started...Mate you were persistence personified on Saturday, I was glad when you finally got it started, too bad you never got to blast around the track. Hope you get it sorted with little financial expenditure required!

Postie
4th September 2006, 11:19
Mate you were persistence personified on Saturday, I was glad when you finally got it started, too bad you never got to blast around the track. Hope you get it sorted with little financial expenditure required!

I took Cibby's CBR out for the last session, that was fun but I would have loved to had the VFR out, I would have been less worried about dropping it because I already own that one.

sAsLEX
4th September 2006, 11:22
You can get a long socket from repco etc to get the plugs out, not a specific plug socket but they do the trick.

Sounds like you have two seperate issues there
1. High Idle
2. Something poked in the drive dept

1. Check the carb rubbers are all seated as these are a bitch to get down properly

2. I have a hayne manual if you want to borrow.

Postie
4th September 2006, 11:32
1. Check the carb rubbers are all seated as these are a bitch to get down properly

2. I have a hayne manual if you want to borrow.

That was my thoughts too, not having the carbs sealing correctly, so I'll redo those. I have a manual but thanks for the offer mate.
My main worry is the no drive problemo.

sAsLEX
4th September 2006, 11:39
That was my thoughts too, not having the carbs sealing correctly, so I'll redo those. I have a manual but thanks for the offer mate.
My main worry is the no drive problemo.

How new are the plugs?! Check them as I had trouble and everyone thought carbs but turned out to be rounded/worn spark plug electrodes

Postie
4th September 2006, 11:41
How new are the plugs?! Check them as I had trouble and everyone thought carbs but turned out to be rounded/worn spark plug electrodes

I have been told that they are new, they looked pretty good on Saturday when I was cleaning them, but I will remove them again and have a closer look at the electrodes, would be great if that is the problem.

ben444
4th September 2006, 11:58
sounds as bad as my weekend... my NC30 stopped on the furtherest part of the track from the pits... and the pick-up guy decided he'll go for lunch.. so i had to push it back... in leathers.. in a gloriusly hot southland day.. battery wire fell of:Oops:

sAsLEX
4th September 2006, 12:35
sounds as bad as my weekend... my NC30 stopped on the furtherest part of the track from the pits... and the pick-up guy decided he'll go for lunch.. so i had to push it back... in leathers.. in a gloriusly hot southland day.. battery wire fell of:Oops:

pffftt Mine stopped in otrahonga along way from auckland, short in the alarm it turned out

HDTboy
4th September 2006, 13:49
I'd be pulling the clutch cover off and looking for broken bits Ash

Postie
4th September 2006, 14:01
I'd be pulling the clutch cover off and looking for broken bits Ash

I am hoping to get some nice smooth oil when I drain it later, I'm hoping its cog tooth free.

:drinkup: heres to hope

imdying
4th September 2006, 18:56
Sounds like there's an air leak between the carbs and cylinder head, and your clutch is either grossly misadjusted, or toast.