PDA

View Full Version : Steering damper bearing

R6_kid
4th September 2006, 11:07
I need to get a new gimble bearing for my steering damper. Does anyone know of a place in Auckland that will be able to replace it for me at short notice (before thursday)

The bearing on the right on the left is in good condition, the arrow shows where the inner bearing has come out of the casing in the red mount.

The bearing seems to have warn its way out of the housing and there was a little bit of rust there from not being lubed up properly.

imdying
4th September 2006, 18:54
Does the old bearing have any writing on it?

R6_kid
4th September 2006, 21:22
not that i can see.

loosebruce
5th September 2006, 13:43
Bah your bike doesn't need a damper Gareth, i'll bring my spare down to the track and we can see if that will fit if ya want, how's your's mounted, across the top 916 style?

R6_kid
6th September 2006, 10:00
haha, last time i was out at manfield i found it helped even if i wasnt getting into tank slappers. I got given a suspension setup to try but i need to have the damper on because im lowering the front forks by 6mm and i dont want it to be toooo sensitive.

But yeh, it mounts to the top 'jesus nut' on the steering head. Sits left to right, mounts to the tank bolts with and arm out one side, then to a mount bracket that is secured under the top nut of the tripple clamp.

R6_kid
6th September 2006, 12:51
alright, found a place called Auckland Bearing Suppliers down in Diana Drive, Glenfield.

The bearing is known as a Spherical Bushing, was relatively easy to get a hold of (they had to get one in from across town) so i'll be picking it up first thing tomorrow. Cost $35, just gotta go to the workshop next door to get the old housing pushed out and the new one pressed in.