PDA

View Full Version : Removing Rust spots on Stauchion Tubes

ManDownUnder
4th September 2006, 13:26
I got some 2nd hand forks for the RF, and the staunchions ave tiny rust (?) spots on them (like .2mm across, probably same height). Dark brown/black against the ground chrome.

They're enough to make a groove in the fork oil seals so my plan is to grab some super duper fine wet and dry and remove them.

My question is this - is there anything I need to put on them, or could/should I reasonably expect the fork oil/chrome to keep 'em in good enough nick?

Any tips or tricks I should be aware of, or am I simply dreaming and should go get them chromed and ground (which of course is ultimately the right thing to do)
MDU

Milky
4th September 2006, 15:00
I have done this with success using 600 grit and very fine stones to attack the pits themselves, then rust treating, cleaning with acetone and filling with some araldite and sanding the epoxy smooth again. I periodically remove the dust caps and squirt a bit of silicone spray in there to keep everything slippery. It probably cost me as much of my time as getting them re-chromed, but over 2 years later I haven't had any problems with them.

rogson
4th September 2006, 15:23
Steel wool?

HDTboy
4th September 2006, 15:38
Get this months Superbike Magazine, there's a letter to the ed about this with a step by step reply

ManDownUnder
11th September 2006, 10:37
Sweet - cheers all!
MDU

thepom
7th October 2006, 22:23
clean the rust off and then solder the pit and rub down till smooth,dead easy...