PDA

View Full Version : How much tread for WOF

sbaker3
5th September 2006, 13:17
How much tread do my tyres need to get a WOF? I've heard 5mm but that makes me wonder how I got my last WOF from VTNZ.

James Deuce
5th September 2006, 13:19
1.5mm

5mm would give you about 200km use out of most tyres.

sbaker3
5th September 2006, 13:24
Thanks. Time for a new front tyre.

Motu
5th September 2006, 13:31
1.5mm across 3/4 the width of the tread - which means effectively you can have the centre section bald and still get a WoF.The 3/4 nonsense should be dropped,like it is in Britain.We get cars in with tyres bald on one edge and 5mm on the other,that's crap,it needs to be across the full width of the tyre.And bikes are worse having such a small contact patch compared to the width of the tyre,and there are many motorcycle tyres with no grooves in the centre section....how are you supposed to get a depth measurement?

Deano
5th September 2006, 13:41
I've heard of and seen Racetecs still giving very good grip (in the dry) right down to the steel belts.

I wouldn't recommend it though.

Motu
5th September 2006, 13:57
Tread isn't required for grip - but it is for a WoF.

McJim
5th September 2006, 14:06
Agreed - I think the tread's main purpose is water displacement.

Deano
5th September 2006, 14:11
I know - just wanted to share.

Kickaha
5th September 2006, 17:56
Agreed - I think the tread's main purpose is water displacement.

For sealed road use treads only purpose is water displacement, if it didn't ever rain we'd all be on slicks

toymachine
5th September 2006, 19:00
As far as I know slicks give better wet weather grip then treaded tyres... up to the point at which they aquaplane

thealmightytaco
5th September 2006, 19:25
As far as I know slicks give better wet weather grip then treaded tyres... up to the point at which they aquaplane

Which is pretty much instantly.

Kickaha
5th September 2006, 20:29
Which is pretty much instantly.

No it isn't, I've raced a FXR150 on slicks in torrential rain at Teretonga and was bugger all slower than the in the dry

At the same meeting there was a CBX550 on slicks in Pre82 running up the front of the field

I wouldn't want to try a modern high HP bike on wide slicks though

degrom
5th September 2006, 20:34
Don't forget it your side walls are cracked from age you will also have to replace them. I had about 3mm on mine but they were really old when I bought the bike. Makes you wonder how the previous owner passed it's WOF with the same tyres!!!

James Deuce
5th September 2006, 20:37
Don't forget it your side walls are cracked from age you will also have to replace them. I had about 3mm on mine but they were really old when I bought the bike. Makes you wonder how the previous owner passed it's WOF with the same tyres!!!

That's a safety issue, not a WOF one.

degrom
5th September 2006, 20:41

I replaced it... But I still want to know who passed that tyres on previous WOF...

Anyway... It's one of those things you'll never know so let's continue!!!
:scooter:

Deano
5th September 2006, 22:35
No it isn't, I've raced a FXR150 on slicks in torrential rain at Teretonga and was bugger all slower than the in the dry

At the same meeting there was a CBX550 on slicks in Pre82 running up the front of the field

Damn straight K !!

Set of wets - $500

Bigger balls - priceless.

Just ask the Yo show - RH Memorial winner on Racetecs (no tread at edge of tyres)

Don't forget it your side walls are cracked from age you will also have to replace them.

Black nugget was good enough for Burt Munro !!

The Pastor
6th September 2006, 14:17
You can retred an extra .5mm into your worn tires. Soldering irons and dremel tools work well.

F5 Dave
6th September 2006, 17:47
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the rear tyre of Motorcycles changed to 2.0mm about a year or two ago. Seen it written somewhere.

Someone less lazy/busy could check the LTSA website.

imdying
6th September 2006, 18:49
VIRM 10-1

Requirements for rejections:

10. A tyre does not have a tread pattern depth of at least
1.5 mm (excluding any tie-bar or tread depth
indicator strip) across at least three-quarters of the
tread width and around the whole circumference of
the tyre.

11. A tyre not identified as designed for regrooving has
had its tread depth increased by regrooving.

So yeah, 1.5mm, and no renegade master, you cannot regroove your tyres.

F5 Dave
7th September 2006, 11:40
Yeah, 10-1 is full of car stuff, & thier amendments are often bitsy, ahh, what do I care? After 2.0mm the bikes start handling dreadfully anyway.

imdying
7th September 2006, 12:32
After 2.0mm the bikes start handling dreadfully anyway.Yeah, that's the bottom line in my opinion too.

Deano
7th September 2006, 16:14
After 2.0mm the bikes start handling dreadfully anyway.

Yeah, that's the bottom line in my opinion too.

Fussy fussy. Maybe it's the scotsman in me, but I ride mine until they don't grip well, which can be pretty low depending on the tyre.

imdying
7th September 2006, 16:16
Fussy fussy. Maybe it's the scotsman in me, but I ride mine until they don't grip well, which can be pretty low depending on the tyre.Heh maybe... for me it's when they no longer turn in well that's time to change.

The Pastor
9th September 2006, 11:32
VIRM 10-1

So yeah, 1.5mm, and no renegade master, you cannot regroove your tyres.

Yeah, you *can* never said if it was legal or not.

Tred only is for the wet. having no tred you bike will handle just fine in the dry. If you know you tread is low. Dont ride in the wet. OR ride sensibly in the wet.

imdying
9th September 2006, 12:00
Yeah, you *can* never said if it was legal or not.My mistake, I thought the thread was about WOFs.

onearmedbandit
9th September 2006, 12:12

WOF is a safety check, tyres will get failed on cracks in the side wall.

imdying
9th September 2006, 12:23
Yep, section 9:

9. A tyre shows any of the following damage:
a) a lump or bulge that is likely to be caused by
separation or partial failure of the tyre structure,
or
b) a cut or crack in a sidewall or tread more than
25 mm long that reaches the body cords, or
c) exposed or cut body cords, or
d) the tread of a retreaded tyre shows signs of
separation, or
e) nails or other sharp objects embedded in the tyre.

The Pastor
9th September 2006, 12:54
My mistake, I thought the thread was about WOFs.

Your local wof guy wont notice.

Sketchy_Racer
9th September 2006, 18:22
Fussy fussy. Maybe it's the scotsman in me, but I ride mine until they don't grip well, which can be pretty low depending on the tyre.

2nded...

I ride all my tires to the canvas or belts.

Although on the small 150 you arent likely to aquaplane!

and my slicks do a great job in the wet!