PDA

View Full Version : Classic collectable rolled into work today

T.W.R
6th September 2006, 20:27
Every now & then an old classic pops it's head up to be seen, well today at work myself & a colleague were told to head out to pick up a couple roadbikes that needed servicing.
So given the day was a beauty we're given directions and we're off to enjoy the time away from the workshop.

Upon arriving at the place we park the truck up to load the bikes on, walk into the garage spot the two hiding under covers, mmm yummy as the cover rolls off the Z1R (totally original albeit for the poxy tranzac 4-1) which is totally dead in the water (so to speak) and a 94 ZZR11 (just needs a straight service). Bloody heavy tanks to wheel up onto a Nissan atlas truck :yes:

Spotted a dual seat for a Ducati 900ss hanging on the wall & mentioned it to the owner and in return was ushered inside the house to the lounge to see a mint :gob: (I mean eat your dinner off it, it's that clean !) 78' wire wheel Ducati 900ss sitting proud as punch along one wall (hope to get a couple of pics when the Zeds are returned).

The amusing thing though about the whole deal is these bikes are all owned by a middle aged woman (good on her I say!, but definately not the usual thing you expect with a line-up like that).

Here's a pic of the Z1R anyhow :rockon: there's a good chance it may become a display bike for the shop once it's cleaned up & we con the boss to waving some coin at the owner & trackdown a original pipe for it :innocent:

paturoa
6th September 2006, 20:34
how r u TWR?

Is that the original screen for the Z1?

nudemetalz
6th September 2006, 20:36
Heya Dude,

That a small or big tank Z1-R ? Looks nice !!

:)

Colapop
6th September 2006, 20:37
Yep I'd pretty keen to see that Duc! Some of those classic beasts ('70's and early '80's) are grossly under-rated I reckon.

dangerous
6th September 2006, 20:37
Very nice man, I remember when I was a young fella (year or so ago) a mate of my old mans had a 750 triple 2 stroke hanging on the wall, brand new never been started... what a wanker LOL

paturoa
6th September 2006, 20:51
Very nice man, I remember when I was a young fella (year or so ago) a mate of my old mans had a 750 triple 2 stroke hanging on the wall, brand new never been started... what a wanker LOL

bet no-one has ever had a CX on the wall!

Edbear
6th September 2006, 20:55
Speaking of classic Ducs I know someone who has this somewhere...

dangerous
6th September 2006, 20:56

Ohhh fuck me... dont you start :first:

JimO
6th September 2006, 20:57
Heya Dude,

looks like a small tank i had a large tank on mine great bikes as long as you dont want to stop in the wet

T.W.R
6th September 2006, 21:08
how r u TWR?

Is that the original screen for the Z1?

Heya doing pretty good, plodding along :yes:

yep thats the original screen on the old beast

Heya Dude,

It's the small 13lt job, but the chic has the larger touring tank aswell apparently too :yes:

Yep I'd pretty keen to see that Duc! Some of those classic beasts ('70's and early '80's) are grossly under-rated I reckon.

It's a minter :love: It's a bike I'd own any day of the week :yes: Almost at the top of my own personal wish list :innocent:

Speaking of classic Ducs I know someone who has this somewhere...

Now that's a sweetie :yes: green frame SS :love:

looks like a small tank i had a large tank on mine great bikes as long as you dont want to stop in the wet

If we were given the go-ahead to really get stuck into this one, it wouldn't know what rain was, :sunny: days & special occasions only, it's got 97k on the clock & basically everything is std apart from the exhaust.

T.W.R
6th September 2006, 21:12

:shutup: probably saw what damage they could do & was shit scared of it so nailed it to the wall as a reminder :done:

skidz
6th September 2006, 22:06
Had a mate in Woodville years ago had a Z1R and it was good for about 240ks. He was only about 5'4" and could touch the groud with his toes. Great bike for those days.

Maha
6th September 2006, 22:11
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30525&d=1145685092

sAsLEX
6th September 2006, 22:16
78' wire wheel Ducati 900ss sitting proud as punch along one wall

Where else would it belong! This woman needs to educate the rest of her sex on where bikes belong in the household!

T.W.R
6th September 2006, 23:18
Where else would it belong! This woman needs to educate the rest of her sex on where bikes belong in the household!

:shutup: This is true :shutup:

Years ago a good mate scored the job of live in security at Riccarton House ( Dean's bush homestead, ChCh) and had full use of the off-limits area of the main house for his living area etc.

At the time he'd just brought a brand new Moto Guzzi 1000S, so being his usual industrious self & not wanting to park the guzzi in the rickerty old garage used to ride the bike up the onto the back porch down the main hall & into one of the spare rooms :yes: It sat proudly bang in the middle of the room

dangerous
7th September 2006, 06:39

Well actually... speaking of CX's amd Z1R's
I took my hotted up CX up Porters pass this time and there was a Z1R on my tail, so I uped the stakes and put the old rudex into over drive... last corner (a tightish righty) l looked into my mirrors and saw the Z1R on its side.
Now the Z1 rider figgered if a old CX can puff its way up that hill it wouldnt be a problem for a thour :dodge:
Anyway... bugger it it was the madian ride for the Z1R after a full restore, what a shit aye, they guy was guttered, go the RudeX :shutup:

98tls
7th September 2006, 06:45
very nice TWR.....wonder if theres any turbo ones around...and what about that green frame duc...is that a wind up or not ?never would have guessed there was one here,,,,

Edbear
7th September 2006, 06:58
very nice TWR.....wonder if theres any turbo ones around...and what about that green frame duc...is that a wind up or not ?never would have guessed there was one here,,,,

Not quite a wind up, it's definitely here, though my mate wouldn't thank me for revealing where for obvious reasons. It's in a special place in his house under lights, lock and alarm.

He restored it and using genuine parts upgraded it to SS. Note the sight glass tank, etc.

He's been down the SI on it, reckoned it wasn't as uncomfortable as it looks!

The sound is awesome!

98tls
7th September 2006, 07:12
Not quite a wind up, it's definitely here, though my mate wouldn't thank me for revealing where for obvious reasons. It's in a special place in his house under lights, lock and alarm.

He restored it and using genuine parts upgraded it to SS. Note the sight glass tank, etc.

He's been down the SI on it, reckoned it wasn't as uncomfortable as it looks!

The sound is awesome! very very nice...my father had an 860 followed by a silver/blue 900ss then a black and gold 900ss which i came across a while back in ashburton...funny story really..i pulled in for gas and there was this ss..went over and had a yarn to the guy and it turned out it was dads old bike...it was a pig of a thing when it was filled up with gas it used to refuse to start and sure enough the old girl still did the same thing...took the bloke many kicks and lots of sweat to get her going....

Edbear
7th September 2006, 07:19
took the bloke many kicks and lots of sweat to get her going....

Yeah it's definitely drool material, but Greg started his in two kicks from stone cold. He's done a beautiful job on it! He's done 10,000k's in ten years on it! Most of that was the SI trip!

98tls
7th September 2006, 07:22
poor bugger.........be hard to know what to do...sit and look at it for hours on end or ride it.....be nice to have the choice...good on him:yes:

Edbear
7th September 2006, 07:27
be hard to know what to do...sit and look at it for hours on end or ride it:

Yeah, I have the same problem.....:innocent:

98tls
7th September 2006, 07:32
Ride it while you still can i reckon.......:yes:

classic zed
7th September 2006, 07:47
whatever the the bike, it should be out on the road not stuck on display.

Its a shame to see classic machines just sitting there doing nothing.:nono:

fast135
7th September 2006, 11:12
:
At the time he'd just brought a brand new Moto Guzzi 1000S, so being his usual industrious self & not wanting to park the guzzi in the rickerty old garage

Yeah My 1000S use to get parked in an old dirt floor shed. Now it has a 2 car (with work space) garage. well, it has to share with the scoots. and ive never had a car in the garage.

TLDV8
7th September 2006, 11:41

Mike,there has been one Roundcase 750SS here for some time based in Wellington.
The problem with "restoring" any kind of bike that is long out of production is finding parts.You then have to decide how far you are prepared to go in risking damaging irreplaceable items,throw a modern bike down the road and you have the option of buying new parts.A lot of early Ducati and Kawasaki Triple parts have been unavailable for many years...You can get repro 1972/73 H2/H2A 750 exhausts now for NZ$2950 + shipping though.

How much for a brand new Veglia Tachometer that has been NLA for over 20 years ?..Anyone priced a set of Conti mufflers lately...Not much point having them if not ridden but there is a certain risk when it involves rarity ,even decent SD900 parts are getting harder to find.

Edbear
7th September 2006, 11:51
Ride it while you still can i reckon.......:yes:

Or so I tells the Missus....:innocent:

nudemetalz
7th September 2006, 12:02
Why do those old Vague-Liar" tachos never have the needles resting at 0-rpm ?

jim.cox
7th September 2006, 14:01
poor bugger.........be hard to know what to do...sit and look at it for hours on end or ride it.....be nice to have the choice...good on him:yes:

Easy

RIDE IT

Thats what they were made for :)

=mjc=

SDU
7th September 2006, 14:13
Spotted a dual seat for a Ducati 900ss hanging on the wall & mentioned it to the owner and in return was ushered inside the house to the lounge to see a mint :gob: (I mean eat your dinner off it, it's that clean !) 78' wire wheel Ducati 900ss sitting proud as punch along one wall (hope to get a couple of pics when the Zeds are returned).

The amusing thing though about the whole deal is these bikes are all owned by a middle aged woman (good on her I say!, but definately not the usual thing you expect with a line-up like that).

That Gal has taste. Can you ask her who her cleaner is, mine is getting a bit slack.:innocent:

You mean it's not normal! Damn

sAsLEX
7th September 2006, 15:23

What better end to a dead bike though than sitting proud as punch in the lounge!

HOw do you know its not running ? Could just drive it in the back door down the hallway past the ktichen and it to the lounge and have it living there instead of some cold damp garage!

T.W.R
7th September 2006, 19:06

That Z1R is regularly used machine, and the 900ss had a current rego plate on it so I'd say it would be used on special occasions.

If the 900ss was mine it would only be brought out on very special occasions, and apart from being hard task masters to live with the thought of risking a classic like that whilst having more liveable mounts at you disposal just isn't right. You've got to respect a machine like that for what it is not just it's image. The MHR Mille I had wasn't an every day mount but it got used but it was a hard beast to live with

That Gal has taste. Can you ask her who her cleaner is, mine is getting a bit slack.:innocent:

You mean it's not normal! Damn

This woman is pretty full-on :yes: the house is a big old villa & is about halfway through a restoration so she's got her hands full.

What better end to a dead bike though than sitting proud as punch in the lounge!

HOw do you know its not running ? Could just drive it in the back door down the hallway past the ktichen and it to the lounge and have it living there instead of some cold damp garage!

If it was me in that situation both the Z1R & the 900ss would be inside :yes: the garage is as old as the house, no doors & a dirt floor. The only thing keeping the Z1R & ZZR 11 from view is the car parked in front of them

Kickaha
7th September 2006, 19:27
Yeah it's definitely drool material, but Greg started his in two kicks from stone cold. He's done a beautiful job on it! He's done 10,000k's in ten years on it! Most of that was the SI trip!

How long ago did he do the SI trip I remember talking to a guy on a green frame "replica" a few years back in Moorhouse ave, he was travelling with a guy on a Guzzi

I used to do just over 8000km year on my Darmah, as long as you are prepared to pay (time and money) to maintain the Bike properly there aren't any reliability problems

Edbear
7th September 2006, 19:47
How long ago did he do the SI trip I remember talking to a guy on a green frame "replica" a few years back in Moorhouse ave, he was travelling with a guy on a Guzzi

I used to do just over 8000km year on my Darmah, as long as you are prepared to pay (time and money) to maintain the Bike properly there aren't any reliability problems

Quite likely was Greg, I think it was a few years ago. I'll be catching up with him next week, so I'll ask him. Don't think he's had it out for a while, but he does ride it occaisionally. Anyone got an idea how much it'd be worth? I'll ask him that as well.

T.W.R
25th September 2006, 19:50
Gutted :weep: The owner of the Z1R came & picked it and the ZZR up on the weekend, so didn't get to return the bikes personally and give the 900ss a good looking over :oi-grr:

Got the Z1R running sweet as a nut after new coils & points, along with a total strip & rebuild of the carbs plus some other bits n pieces and dialing everything in. So the owner is wrapped apparently, I know it went well when I tested it out after finishing, just that bloody pipe lets it down (whoever put it on the bike needed a damn good :spanking:).

Colapop
25th September 2006, 19:52
Just phone them and ask if you can have a look at the bike.

nudemetalz
25th September 2006, 20:00
That's a bugger.

Oh BTW Bill, the ZX-10 is coming along well in it's restoration mode. Still a long way to go though.

T.W.R
25th September 2006, 20:00
Just phone them and ask if you can have a look at the bike.

Once my oldgirl is back in action I'll shoot up there for a blast & hopefully get some pics

T.W.R
25th September 2006, 20:07
That's a bugger.

Oh BTW Bill, the ZX-10 is coming along well in it's restoration mode. Still a long way to go though.

Sweet ! how'd the forks workout? or are they still an on-going item?

The bloody pick-up coil on mine shat itself :mad: got one coming ex-japan luckly cheaply :whistle: the CDI checked out OK:2thumbsup F**&#@ are close to a $1000 for a new one :buggerd:

nudemetalz
25th September 2006, 20:14
Sweet ! how'd the forks workout? or are they still an on-going item?

The bloody pick-up coil on mine shat itself :mad: got one coming ex-japan luckly cheaply :whistle: the CDI checked out OK:2thumbsup F**&#@ are close to a $1000 for a new one :buggerd:

Still working on them,...did you know that paste filler was $42 !!!

T.W.R
25th September 2006, 21:13
Still working on them,...did you know that paste filler was $42 !!!

:spanking: how many times does $42 go into the cost of replacement sliders though :whistle:

nudemetalz
25th September 2006, 21:17
:spanking: how many times does $42 go into the cost of replacement sliders though :whistle:

'nuff said.....:bleh: