PDA

View Full Version : Oxfordshire scheme attracts female bikers

Bob
7th September 2006, 00:30
This strikes me as a really good idea - does anything similar exist in NZ?

A scheme in Oxfordshire is winning over a new generation of women bikers. Trax - a project for young people interested in learning how to ride and maintain motorbikes – has set up a project focussed specifically on introducing female bikers.

Tamsin Jones, the project worker, says: "The motorcycle project started about two years ago and we had a few young women join the course. But it became apparent that we would need a girls-only group if we wanted to attract more."

As well as teaching the girls to look after the bikes and ride them safely, the project has taught the young women to overcome their fears and work as a group. "There has been a lot of looking after each other," says Jones. "They've helped make sure things are safe and encouraged each other. Generally, they encourage each other more than the boys do. They are not so competitive."

Two of the young women from the summer programme are going on to do a City & Guilds qualification in motorcycle mechanics.

SDU
7th September 2006, 14:24
It sounds like a good idea. I haven't heard off any courses here for mix groups let alone just for woman. It would be good for all newbies & not so new to riding.

Nicksta
13th September 2006, 21:44
mmm for some reason women sometimes feel more comfortable without guys around them when trying to learn something..... if there was demand, i guess they could start something like that here... but then you get into the grey area of sexism....
its like coffee group.. sometimes the girls just want to hang out by themselves...