PDA

View Full Version : Safety Gear

Jimmy B
7th September 2006, 11:13
Hi Team,

This has probably been covered but I am going to ask anyway.

A lot seems to have changed since I binned my manky old gimp suit a couple of years back and I am looking to get some new gear shortly.

Helmets, all helmets that are for sale in NZ have passed strict regulatory tests, therefore whats the real difference between a lid made in China costing a few hundred squid vs a european model at 4 or 5x the price. Im thinking wieght, noise reduction, fittings but really in a bingle, is one any more effective than the other? What have you got and what do you like about it?

2 piece Gimp suits, both with armour, Leather or Cordura? and why? I am tending towards leather because I know and like it but textile garments have come along way, should I consider these as well?

Boots, If I go shiney side down I want these, and I want them to stay on my feet. Some of the road models initutivley look as though they may well shoot through in a scrape. Has anyone had this happen?

I am looking at some off road boots at an online shop. They look like they have all the features and appear way more robust at a cheaper price. Aside from being less flexible when off the bike are there any reasons why these would not be as, if not more suitable than some of the current road models?

Thanks

JB

MSTRS
7th September 2006, 11:58
Rule of thumb - you get what you pay for. Do not compromise (too much) and get gear that is fit for the purpose. Check out Quazi's gear....

beyond
7th September 2006, 12:46
Gear has come along way. I still think leather is the best for off's.
Synthetics are good but I have noticed in off's that they are generally looser than leather and therefore the armour moves off the areas you want as it's pulled around by friction. This leaves elbows and knees a little more exposed than necessary as the synthetics rip through at those points. Not too good in summer when that happens as you generally don't have the liner in and aren't wearing much underneath.

In both cases the tighter the better becuase of this. Leathers stretch so you are best to get it fitting tight when purchased to the point of having to pour yourself into them. My leather pants were real tight when I bought them and after a year and a half of riding, when I walk around, you would think I filled my trou. :(

Lou Girardin
7th September 2006, 13:00
This old chestnut rises again.
Leather is traditional, but quality textile does everything better except being able to bin repeatedly. It's year round kit, dryer, warmer, more comfy than leather.
The more you spend on a helmet the better it'll be in terms of fit, finish, aerodynamics and, often, quietness. Helmets all meet a minimum standard, but the one time you need more than the minimum you'll be glad you paid more.
MX boots are too stiff for road use, stick to road boots.

Macktheknife
7th September 2006, 14:25
This old chestnut rises again.
Leather is traditional, but quality textile does everything better except being able to bin repeatedly. It's year round kit, dryer, warmer, more comfy than leather.
The more you spend on a helmet the better it'll be in terms of fit, finish, aerodynamics and, often, quietness. Helmets all meet a minimum standard, but the one time you need more than the minimum you'll be glad you paid more.

What he said.
Do a search on leather/cordura in the threads and you will find heaps of info.

Jimmy B
7th September 2006, 14:26
"My leather pants were real tight when I bought them and after a year and a half of riding, when I walk around, you would think I filled my trou."

Thats some funny shit right there, and for the first year it was what the ...is he packin??

good reply's Gents and Thanks

CM2005
8th September 2006, 20:51
I'm also new to riding, but the only leathers i have are one peice Zebra patterened ones, with the baggy ass. fine for a racer crouch, but riding a scooter:rockon: , whats more sensible? jeans get eaten by tarmac, is there any fairly cheap alternative?
:done:

MSTRS
9th September 2006, 09:33
I'm also new to riding, but the only leathers ....is there any fairly cheap alternative?

Shorts and don't come off??:dodge:

SARGE
9th September 2006, 10:04
I am looking at some off road boots at an online shop. They look like they have all the features and appear way more robust at a cheaper price. Aside from being less flexible when off the bike are there any reasons why these would not be as, if not more suitable than some of the current road models?

Thanks

JB

not so Lou..
when i am planning on giving it some stick.. i wear Fox Tracker MX boots ..nice and high.. NOT going to come off in a bin, sturdy ankle protection and they look the bizzo.. i wore them for a few days and made sure i broke the stifness out of them ( yes i paid in pain for a few days .... )

commuting .. i wear sturdy work boots ..

BarBender
9th September 2006, 10:36
In both cases the tighter the better becuase of this. Leathers stretch so you are best to get it fitting tight when purchased to the point of having to pour yourself into them. My leather pants were real tight when I bought them and after a year and a half of riding, when I walk around, you would think I filled my trou. :(

Totally agree with Beyond. Nice and tight. Even better if you can get them made to fit rather than off the rack (unless your an off the rack, average type of guy)

Try Quasi's gear. Just had a one piece done for me and they're perfect.

Lou Girardin
9th September 2006, 16:20
not so Lou..
when i am planning on giving it some stick.. i wear Fox Tracker MX boots ..nice and high.. NOT going to come off in a bin, sturdy ankle protection and they look the bizzo.. i wore them for a few days and made sure i broke the stifness out of them ( yes i paid in pain for a few days .... )

commuting .. i wear sturdy work boots ..

Yeah sure sarge, but not everyone chews nails for breakfast.

beyond
9th September 2006, 16:35
Yeah sure sarge, but not everyone chews nails for breakfast.

:laugh: :laugh: :rofl:

Nails for brekky and bolts for dinner. :)

Pogo2
9th September 2006, 17:16
I'm also new to riding, but the only leathers i have are one peice Zebra patterened ones, with the baggy ass. fine for a racer crouch, but riding a scooter:rockon: , whats more sensible? jeans get eaten by tarmac, is there any fairly cheap alternative?

I purchased some courdura pants with some armour from Motomail for $199. They have a 3/4 zip in the leg (easy to get off etc) and are comfortable and warm. Really not to much more $$ than a good pair of jeans and I feel protected.

Lou Girardin
10th September 2006, 21:36
:laugh: :laugh: :rofl:

Nails for brekky and bolts for dinner. :)

I've heard he chews nuts too.