PDA

View Full Version : Near Miss

Maverick
7th September 2006, 15:46
I had a near miss yesterday evening,
I have attached a drawing for those interested,
I was turning right from Ellerslie Panmure highway into a road thats name I always forget,
I had lane split up the stationary traffic so was waiting at the front of the cars at the lights.
When the light turned green I accellerated smoothly through the intersection, but at the same time, and Asian lady driving a people mover (complete with L plate) Pulled out of the Shell station.
She was going very slowly, but was building up speed.
As she was taking up the centre of the road, and she was accelerating (if you can call it that) I decided not to overtake her, I just eased off the throttle in anticipation that she would continue to pick up speed.
What I couldnt see at that time was the two Polynesian girls who decided that it would be an oppertune moment to walk out from the stationary traffic on the other side of the road. One of them, wether she thought the van was going slow, or was just not paying attention, just walked out in front of the van, the other stopped on the centre line.
This obviously panicked the Asian lady as she somehow managed to stall the people mover.
Suddenly I found myself rapidly closing on a large vehicle that wasnt braking, but was suddenly stopped. I was doing about 45 - 50 kph.
I jumped on the brakes, increasing pressure as her read bumper got closer and closer. I felt my rear tyre loose traction and start to skid, but my speed was coming down. I screeched to a halt about half a meter from her rear bumper.
Fortunately, beacause I had pulled away from the lights faster then the other traffic, they had enough time and distance to react to my brake lights and stop themselves, preventing from making me the filling in a metal cage sandwidge.

At this point, the second Island girl decided, that as the traffic was stopped, now would be an acceptable time to continue crossing the road to get to Wendys. By the time she had casually done so, the Asian lady had managed to restart her van and find first gear. She started moving, (albeit at only 30kph).
Obviously having noticed me behind her she turned off at the next left (without indication), which unfortunately was also my turn off, and then she just slowed down to about 20kph, before sidling to the edge of the road, again not indicating.

So what is the moral of the story? Watch out for Asian Drivers? Watch out for island girls going to Wendys? :dodge:

How about just Watch out? You never know what is around the corner,

Keep you eyes open and stay safe out there,

Mav :rockon:

Wasp
7th September 2006, 15:54
Interwesting, gotta love the bandits though - ive locked my front and rear tyres many a time and never lost stability.

a car sandwhich doesnt sound all that tasty....

Lil_Byte
7th September 2006, 15:56
Moral of the story is move down to Dunedin - we don't have Wendy's:scooter:

Ixion
7th September 2006, 15:56
Lunn Ave. It's Lunn Ave. Good to hear there was no damage.Just part of the road's rich tapestry

Maverick
7th September 2006, 15:57
Interwesting, gotta love the bandits though - ive locked my front and rear tyres many a time and never lost stability.

a car sandwhich doesnt sound all that tasty....

I have to agree with you there, It was dry, but even though the rear tyre locked I didnt feel like it was going to slide out from under me, I just put more weight on the pegs, and transferred more braking to the front wheel easing off the back,

Whynot
7th September 2006, 16:05
Moral of the story is move down to Dunedin - we don't have Wendy's:scooter:

you poor, poor bastards ...

Bend-it
7th September 2006, 16:34
Wendy's are all good!! And it was YOUR fault for following too close!!

at least that what the guy said to me when he did a u-turn in front of me... ;) And my bandit did lock up and ended in a crummy heap... :(

Shoot all bad drivers (and bikers)!! :ar15:
Man, I love that emoticon!

bobsmith
7th September 2006, 16:38
As I always say, Asian WOMAN drivers and people movers.....

it must be the worst combination possible...

MMMmmmm Wendy's, I had sooo much wendy's when I was up in auckland last weekend... pity they don't have them down here.... they need a Cheesecake shop here as well... (and dunken donuts... I miss auckland....)

andrea
7th September 2006, 16:47
farken asains and pi girls aye and its a good thing im only part umm asian/pi/whatever else there is. hmm
good to know that ur ok

LilSel
7th September 2006, 17:01
(and dunken donuts... I miss auckland....)

*rubs eyes* I thought that said 'Drunken Donuts'.. I think I need a cold one!
hehehe

Glad you ok Mav... bummer bout the near miss

Qkchk
7th September 2006, 17:27
And keep an eye out for those bloody Waste Management trucks too! Ive heard that they cant drive for shit! :rofl: Specially the Bin Shifters truck:innocent:

Our yard is on Lunn Ave. Blinkin busy street and only goin to get worse as those houses are built. At least we have Subway next door now :yes:

Blackbird
7th September 2006, 17:40
:rockon: Well done on using incremental pressure braking (even if you didn't necessarily mean to initially:innocent:). It increases front wheel contact patch area and reduces the initial risk of lockup. Nice work.

Edbear
7th September 2006, 17:59
its a good thing im only part umm asian/pi/whatever else there is. hmm

Which part?

Swoop
7th September 2006, 18:08
Wendy's are all good!! And it was YOUR fault for following too close!!

at least that what the guy said to me when he did a u-turn in front of me... ;)

And he managed to say that with a broken jaw??? impressive.

Leong
7th September 2006, 18:17
Glad to hear it ended OK!!

Indiana_Jones
7th September 2006, 18:34
I had my own near miss tonight as well.

Bikes are fun :D

-Indy

andrea
9th September 2006, 22:40
Which part?

umm nevermind lets just say a fruit salad:mellow:

Meekey_Mouse
9th September 2006, 23:25
Good to hear your ok! Man... What is it about asians? Like Im not racest.... but SOOOO many asians have pulled out infront of me... and I'm in a 4WD (for now, till I find a bike) 4WDs are pretty hard to not see!

Crazy, crazy lil people.

Keep safe!

Jaz

Indiana_Jones
10th September 2006, 00:36
You're telling me mate.

One Asian on Friday went through a red light in front of me, I nearly shat myself :p

-Indy

KLOWN
10th September 2006, 00:59
As I always say, Asian WOMAN drivers and people movers.....

it must be the worst combination possible...

MMMmmmm Wendy's, I had sooo much wendy's when I was up in auckland last weekend... pity they don't have them down here.... they need a Cheesecake shop here as well... (and dunken donuts... I miss auckland....)

FUCK YEAH! got to love those bacon cheese burgers for $1.95, thats all i eat when i go up to auckland, its sad but its one of the things i miss the most about auckland.

sunhuntin
10th September 2006, 07:28
got picked up from work in dads cage last night....making a right turn that would cross oncoming traffic....there was an oncoming car, but a good gap that left heaps of room for us to turn safely. halfway through said turn, i take another look and blow me down, theres a bloody scooter in front of the car! had a headlight on, but the lights of the car cancelled it out...i never even saw it. luckily, it wasnt moving too fast, but still, rather scary thinking "what if" cos i could have truthfully said, i never saw you.

whether it woulda made a difference if i was on the bike or not, i dont know. i would have maybe waited for that car to go past first, but i dont know.

bobsmith
10th September 2006, 08:43
FUCK YEAH! got to love those bacon cheese burgers for $1.95, thats all i eat when i go up to auckland, its sad but its one of the things i miss the most about auckland.

Well I worked at that bloody place for 2 years or so when I was at high school... damn I put on like 10kgs and never lost it (got rather attached to my big bacon...) Luckly most of the staff and managers since I left has all changed so not many people recognise me now...

[edit] - oh I noticed last weekend that the bacon cheese burgers are $2.00 now.... damn that was so strange they've been $1.05 for the last 5 years...

Street Gerbil
10th September 2006, 13:02
A) Kudos for making it in one piece and without taking the rubber off tarmac.

B) I see two factors here:
1. Misogynic culture that is not likely to instill confidence in young asian females.
2. Apparently in Australia and New Zealand people not owning a people mover shouldn't be allowed to breed, because "...if you can't drive them around, you might as well put them for adoption".

The result is obvious: Young girl (especially surrounded by half a dozen ankle-biters) lacking confidence to drive + a heavy people mover = road hazard.

P.S. I can empathise with the lady. Driving a 3.5 ton truck for the first time was an adrenaline-producing experience as well.