PDA

View Full Version : Popping Wheelies on a 250cc??

sndrmn
20th June 2004, 15:06
Hi ppls........
I was wondering if anyone here has managed to pop a proper wheelie on a Honda CBR250RR? or any 250? U see I'm trying to learn how to wheelie and I want to know what the best method is for getting that front wheel way up.

I've been scanning the internet for "how to's" etc but they all seem to be for more powerful bikes.

I've tried the clutch method but that doesn't work I roll to about 5 ks (I think) pop in the clutch rev it up to about 15000rpm and pop out the clutch (I tried lower revs but the bike just jerks forward). The front does come up but only a inch or maybe two. :doh: the point is that my 250 doesn't seem to have the power to pull the front up further than 2 inches ( and the clutch takes a beating). coming to think of it I just filled up the tank before my attempt maybe I should wait till its a bit more empty. However this way doesn't seem very clutch friendly!

I havn't tried to the throttle method (loading the front forks yet).
so has anyone done it? or can anyone give me some pointers........and before you lecture me on safety etc......... I wear full leathers and practice on a semi secluded straight where there is bugger all traffic.

Cheers
SNDMRN

FROSTY
20th June 2004, 15:55
Change the gearing of ya bike and any bike will mono easily

k14
20th June 2004, 16:56
It is possible to mono a CBR250 with standard everything, but it does take a bit of practice. I haven't tried it. Heard some stories of twisted crank shafts and burnt out clutches. Not worth it, too harsh on the bike.

Warren
20th June 2004, 16:57
Here is a picture of jrandom doing a wheelie on a FXR150.
http://ws.net.nz/getting_it_up.jpg

andy1
20th June 2004, 17:34
k14 u are spot on! it takes practise and time!
but is possible. i used to pop wheelies at 180k on the cbr and hold on for the ride! sometimes i shit myself how fast my little cbr250 would go!
and remember those bloody tank slappers! cbrs love em.

have u tried to ride 185k over small pumps going down hill?? try it and yank the front! worked everytime! normally can hold it for the rest of the hill depending on how long the hill is. give it a go if ya got the skills.
seeu.

onearmedbandit
20th June 2004, 18:58
Pulling wheelies on a CBR250? at 180kph???

Posh Tourer :P
20th June 2004, 19:58
Two smoker wheelies his postie bike... thats a CT110...

Of course you didnt hear me say that :P

What do you mean not enough power?

Deano
20th June 2004, 19:59
Pulling wheelies on a CBR250? at 180kph???

I reckon.

Should that be one for Bullshit Biker Stories or perhaps a Ghost Rider DVD ? :Pokey:

Or maybe even too much :doobey: :lol:

marty
20th June 2004, 20:04
must have been a pretty trick cbr. my aprilia wouldn't even think about wheelies at 180. 150 maybe on a good day with a bump and a head wind, but 180????????? and i could get 225 out of it.

k14
20th June 2004, 20:23
Yeah, haven't tried doing a wheelie at 180kph, but next time I have it wound up that high I will give it a go, see if he is right, lol . :eek:

phase
20th June 2004, 20:25
My cbr will do 190, maybe 195 tops. At 180kph, unless you went up a ramp, the front wheel ain't goin' nowhere. Then again, maybe there's a secret ultra-awesome secret turbo challenger switch hidden on the grip I haven't seen.

Wonko
20th June 2004, 20:31
phase, it's the big red one that is labled "engine kill switch" It turns into a turbo at 140KPH

k14
20th June 2004, 20:32
My cbr will do 190, maybe 195 tops. At 180kph, unless you went up a ramp, the front wheel ain't goin' nowhere. Then again, maybe there's a secret ultra-awesome secret turbo challenger switch hidden on the grip I haven't seen.

Oh really, did you get it de restricted and change the gearing?

The stock CBR250 have a 180kph limiter and will only do 180 before they hit the rev limiter in 6th gear.

andy1
20th June 2004, 20:37
all i can is that i dont care if ya believe me or not, but i didnt post here to tell stories i posted to tell how to pop wheelies on a 250cc!
if you didnt go riding with us of course your not going to believe me.

yep my cbr had a bit of gas! only ever meet one bike that could rider faster then this cbr. and thats no story too.

anyway gotta go! yamaha are testing a new bike at the test track and im heading up to have a look. seeu

marty
20th June 2004, 21:19
i think you're confusing your 250 with the pix in your profile

k14
20th June 2004, 21:23
i think you're confusing your 250 with the pix in your profile

Or maybe reality with the dreams he had last night :Pokey:

riffer
20th June 2004, 21:28
180km/h wheelies on a CBR250RR?

Get your hand off it mate... :tugger:

phase
20th June 2004, 21:37
Oh really, did you get it de restricted and change the gearing?

The stock CBR250 have a 180kph limiter and will only do 180 before they hit the rev limiter in 6th gear.

Probably. If it's got the super-secret turbo challenger button, it's bound to have derestricted gearing and a changed 6th rev limiter.

When doing 180 it doesn't make any noises like it's hitting a limiter and keeps accelerating (albeit slowly). I'm assuming that to be 190-195. However, I'm very sorry if I tread on your toes, god knows I need to prove myself on the internet too, but the point (that you so obviously missed) was that cbr250's don't do much past 180.

Before you get all ansy and start quoting manuals, maybe you'd like to consider context. Maybe my bike does have a destriction plate and rev delimitation gears. It's possible. Doing wheelstand's at 180kph on it, however, is unlikely. And just in case you missed it again, Doing wheelstand's at 180kph on it, however, is unlikely.

FROSTY
20th June 2004, 21:38
lest people think your tale untrue kepp probability in view
actually I guess its best to reserve judgement till ya see the guy ride

phase
20th June 2004, 21:40
anyway gotta go! yamaha are testing a new bike at the test track and im heading up to have a look. seeu

Wait... Yamaha are testing a new bike at 8:30pm on a Sunday in winter? Something fishy is going on here. Either this is someone's alt taking the piss, or this is skater_boi's kid brother.

k14
20th June 2004, 21:49
Yeah didn't you hear. Rossi and the gang flew in today to test the new gp bike at puke. They are doing it at night so no one can see what it looks like.

andy1
21st June 2004, 00:01
k14 i didnt know they had a puke in Japan?!

phase its not 8:30pm here mate u got ya times very wrong!!!!! and its noway winter here, fuck today was hot!

and i didnt say i was checking out motogp bikes! yamaha got a shared test track over here and they test out new bikes!!!!

sorry boyz! but u got ya info wrong!

i didnt post here to show off just give the man some info on wheel stands on a 250! its sooo funny that ya think i would bullshit! why would i waste my time?? :laugh:
seeu.

Jackrat
21st June 2004, 00:51
Hmmm,I rode a CBR race preped bike from AMPS last year the thing was fast but wasn't gonn'a get the front in the air at 180km.
This is starting to sound like the beginings of another "I crashed me bike thread".Don't really think your sugestions would help a new rider much at all really.What don'cha like the guy or summint?? <_<

White trash
21st June 2004, 07:44
k14 u are spot on! it takes practise and time!
but is possible. i used to pop wheelies at 180k on the cbr and hold on for the ride! sometimes i shit myself how fast my little cbr250 would go!
and remember those bloody tank slappers! cbrs love em.

have u tried to ride 185k over small pumps going down hill?? try it and yank the front! worked everytime! normally can hold it for the rest of the hill depending on how long the hill is. give it a go if ya got the skills.
seeu.

Kerry? Is that you?..... :confused:

White trash
21st June 2004, 07:48

phase its not 8:30pm here mate u got ya times very wrong!!!!! and its noway winter here, fuck today was hot!

and i didnt say i was checking out motogp bikes! yamaha got a shared test track over here and they test out new bikes!!!!

i didnt post here to show off just give the man some info on wheel stands on a 250! its sooo funny that ya think i would bullshit! why would i waste my time?? :laugh:
seeu.

Now I know you're a fucking idiot. I thought the first post was a piss take but no, you had to try and reinforce your statement.

sndrmn
21st June 2004, 08:11
Cheers for the info / advice. Yes I'm on a stock CBR and I have neither the skills or knowledge to start tinkering with gearing etc.........and as for trying to pop a wheelie at 180km.........mmm think thats asking for trouble, while I'm not doubting your wheelie skills how the hell is one supposed to control a wheelie at 180km when they can't even do one at 5ks ! haha.......

Anyways.......I might try loading the front forks next time....I've noticed going round sharper corners (and the front is compressed) a bit of extra gas makes the front come up....caught me off guard a few times ...if that doesn't work I guess I'll just have to wait till I get my full license and a bigger bike.........

peace.......

jrandom
21st June 2004, 08:27
if that doesn't work I guess I'll just have to wait till I get my full license and a bigger bike.........

Well, hmmm, keep trying. Apparently Kwak ZXR250s wheelie fine - a guy I know who is only a *little* bit full of bullshit told me he used to wheelie his. Your CBR isn't so terribly different, in fact it's a bit lighter, which might help.

Be really, really violent. Rev it at an almost-standstill until it's banging off the limiter, dump the clutch and keep the throttle pinned while you pull back on the bars. It'll probably come up. I'll bet that even if you *think* you're being violent so far, you're actually being quite gentle with it.

dreamride
21st June 2004, 08:43
Hey

I was browsing through these mags in the bookshop las week and one of them had an article on how to do these stunts! Problem is I do not remember which one! :brick:

Was there about last week, so check out the mags and it comes with pics, was not a local one though

Cheers

sndrmn
21st June 2004, 12:08
Be really, really violent. Rev it at an almost-standstill until it's banging off the limiter, dump the clutch and keep the throttle pinned while you pull back on the bars. It'll probably come up. I'll bet that even if you *think* you're being violent so far, you're actually being quite gentle with it.

Schweeeet....Finally someone thats done a wheelie on a "smaller" bike!.....I will give that a try and yeah I prob am being gentle..but I would rather try 20 times and fail than flip the bike the first time! haha Just one question....how bad is it for your clutch? I know when I used to dump the clutch on my old evo it did'nt take long for the clutch to wear out...what about bikes?

and whitetrash....was that you in that NZ biker magazine? doing that review on a GSX-R 600....nice wheelie if that was you.......

Peace......

Motu
21st June 2004, 12:20
Why don't you get a dirt bike? - any off road bike will pop a wheelie,then transfer your new found skills.

Firefight
21st June 2004, 12:21
have any of you guys ever ridden with Andy 1 ?,
Me thinks if you had you may well belive this tale.

What say you MR ?

Firefight.

Zed
21st June 2004, 12:40
have any of you guys ever ridden with Andy 1 ?,
Me thinks if you had you may well belive this tale.

What say you MR ?

Firefight.
I've never riden with Andy1, but I have heard first hand stories of his riding from about 3 other guys...I was told he is a LOOSE CANON - would be entertaining to watch his mono at 180kms! Maybe he'll have to turn up to the next KB ride and prove himself? He may have to ride in his own group though. :eek5:

Zed

FROSTY
21st June 2004, 12:48
Anyone wanting to learn to mono/wheelie whatever --give Bigdog a call
he has a dvd on how to do it propperly

Firefight
21st June 2004, 12:51
I've never riden with Andy1, but I have heard first hand stories of his riding from about 3 other guys...I was told he is a LOOSE CANON - would be entertaining to watch his mono at 180kms! Maybe he'll have to turn up to the next KB ride and prove himself? He may have to ride in his own group though. :eek5:

Zed

May be a bit diffucult at the moment hes racing in Japan, also hes not the sort of guy who gives a shit if people don,t belive him, as he said, thats not why he posted, I think very skilled rider is a better description than loose canon, but then again, what would I know.

F/F

Motoracer
21st June 2004, 12:54
If you think Andy1's all shit. Come ride with me on the road (that is a real challenge for anyone who wants to accpet it and I don't really care what bike you are on). I have never ever ridden anywhere close to my limits on the KB rides so what you might have seen doesn't really count.

After the ride, if you think that I am pretty fast, I'll tell you one thing. Andy1 is better than me still. Then you'll have a clue about how fast and good he is.

Two Smoker
21st June 2004, 13:21
If you think Andy1's all shit. Come ride with me on the road (that is a real challenge for anyone who wants to accpet it and I don't really care what bike you are on). I have never ever ridden anywhere close to my limits on the KB rides so what you might have seen doesn't really count.

After the ride, if you think that I am pretty fast, I'll tell you one thing. Andy1 is better than me still. Then you'll have a clue about how fast and good he is.
LOL, thats pretty damn fast :niceone: yep i agree dont give people shit unless you have ridden with them etc...... like its a bit stupid to tell me to stick with my RG150 because i can get more "speed" in the twisties..... But then you wouldnt know if i could get more speed in the twisties unless you had ridden with me.....

Re the Wheelies...... I wheelie my RG150 and CT110...... What you need to do is rev the shit out of it (like JR said) load up the front forks while your doing about 5 kmh...... then pop the clutch, whilst heaving on the bars and shifting your weight onto the back of the seat......

That should have you wheel coming up a fair way, then you need to work on the balance point and holding it there..... I still need to work on the holding part :wacko:

21st June 2004, 13:27
Perhaps the bit you arent doing sndr is the weight shift. I've tried to stoppie on the ZXR400 and it didnt work, I think it just required a weight shift. Only the more powerful bikes wheelie without weight shift....

jrandom
21st June 2004, 13:32
I know when I used to dump the clutch on my old evo it did'nt take long for the clutch to wear out...what about bikes?

Your steering head bearings and fork seals will probably go before the clutch does.

Hell, even if it does fry up and blow out, there should always be plenty of written-off CBR250s at the breakers to snarf perfectly good transmission parts off.

I'm not aware of anyone on the forum who's buggered a clutch on a road bike, from wheelieing or anything else. Yoohoo... guys...?

riffer
21st June 2004, 13:42
I'm not aware of anyone on the forum who's buggered a clutch on a road bike, from wheelieing or anything else. Yoohoo... guys...?
No-one here on this forum, but plenty on the exup brotherhood who have wasted FZR clutches...

jrandom
21st June 2004, 13:45
Only the more powerful bikes wheelie without weight shift....

Nah, dunn think thass right. My FXR comes up even when I'm leaning over the bars a bit.

But yeah, putting the weight as far back as possible will make a difference.

From personal experience I'm betting that sndrmn's problem is a too-timid initial application, and then not heaving back and keeping the throttle pinned after he pops the clutch. He's probably also leaning forward instinctively as it comes up.

Er.

Now, I could, at this point, admit that the first time I wheelied the FXR properly was under the inhibition-removing effect of a couple of beers. But fortunately I'm a very responsible person and that would be a complete and utter outright lie (yesh orficer, no, really!)

I would do nothing other than advise any would-be stunters to be careful to only practise when in a sober and careful frame of mind. Ahem. Yes. That's the one. Removing nervousness with alcohol before attempting wheelies could be extremely Hazardous To Your Health and I DEFINITELY don't think that sndrmn should try it at all.

k14
21st June 2004, 13:53
Just out of curosity how much does the FXR weigh?? The CBR weighs in at around 170 wet so I am assuming the FXR would have a decent weight advantage. I haven't heard of any clutches being burnt out on CBR's and I frequent the CBR250 forums where there are some crazy guys that do it all the time.

I have got a few vids of CBR's doing some decent wheelies. Not sure how much damage it does to the forks/steering head etc, it is probably just the same as doing wheelies to any other bigger (or smaller) bike. Although the CBR doesn't have too much power so once you start to go down it probably is hard to use the throttle to gently lower it down, but what do I know about it. I have been trying to pluck up the courage to attempt one on my beast, but alas I haven't. Only tried a stoppie a few times. Might wait for the warmer months.

Two Smoker
21st June 2004, 14:08
Man stoppies must be easy as on that thing (due to having 2 rotors lol) Yeo the fork seals and steerubg head bearings will be stuffed before your clutch, and the only reason the seals will go is from harsh landings....... When you come of the power it isnt that harder drop......

Motoracer
21st June 2004, 14:08
P.S. I forgot to say this but I was on that ride with Andy1 when he first pulled the front wheel up so you can have my word that it is true.

It was on thoes nice big crests before Miranda when you are going from Auckland towards Kopu. If you haven't been there, you should try it. All the corners are pretty fast just before that bit and there is a nice long straight to buildup some more speed (crucial for smaller bikes). Just hold your speed as you go over 3 massive crests (almost hills) with a nice steep drop. The feeling you get through the different Gs is just great! For the wheelies over them (I don't do them myself), you just need to have big balls and then pull hard on the handle bars. Don't forget to land the front wheel straight BTW!!

And thats how you wheelie a 4 stroke 250 at 180kmph.

phase
21st June 2004, 14:43
That's ridiculous. Not saying that it's not true, but honestly, that's right outta the blue.

This thread should be framed. This is possibly the only instance of an internet tale actually turning out to be true. Apologies to any offence andy, but I say again - outta the blue.

In fact, I'm still in disbelief. MR, you gotta take me out for a ride and set me straight!

Antallica
21st June 2004, 14:53
Just out of curosity how much does the FXR weigh?? The CBR weighs in at around 170 wet so I am assuming the FXR would have a decent weight advantage. I haven't heard of any clutches being burnt out on CBR's and I frequent the CBR250 forums where there are some crazy guys that do it all the time.

I have got a few vids of CBR's doing some decent wheelies. Not sure how much damage it does to the forks/steering head etc, it is probably just the same as doing wheelies to any other bigger (or smaller) bike. Although the CBR doesn't have too much power so once you start to go down it probably is hard to use the throttle to gently lower it down, but what do I know about it. I have been trying to pluck up the courage to attempt one on my beast, but alas I haven't. Only tried a stoppie a few times. Might wait for the warmer months.
It weighs 118kg dry mate.

vifferman
21st June 2004, 15:01
Perhaps the bit you arent doing sndr is the weight shift. I've tried to stoppie on the ZXR400 and it didnt work, I think it just required a weight shift. Only the more powerful bikes wheelie without weight shift....
Way back (when I were but a lad), I used to wheelie my CB175, and it was (a) gutless, and (b) heavyish. None of this "rev the snot outta it, an' pop the clutch" nonsense; I used to just load the forks, then pull back HARD on the bars and open the throttle at the same time. I guess that counts as weight shift. And if you stand up, it helps. The CB175 also did good donuts on concrete, gravel, grass, dirt, and spent quite a bit of time being treated like a dirtbike. Finally T-boned a car on it it when...ahem...practising wheelies. :Oops:

Other bikes I've had were easier to wheelie, but I'd imagine the CBR250 is a little bit like my VFR, with the weight quite forward, and it being a bit porky for its power. On the VFR, it was just a matter of dipping the clutch a bit while going slow, and a bit of a bump helped too. But it was a bit portly, and I never managed to stoppie the thing or do a really decent wheelie, even after I lowered the gearing a tad.
On the VTR, it will wheelie off the throttle, especially as it hits about 3k rpm in first, or if I give it a big handful, AND/OR I shift my butt back on the seat. If I'm hard on the throttle and hit a bump, or go up an incline, it comes up without a tug on the bars in first and second. I can't wheelie it off the clutch, because I've got one of the VTRs that has a crap clutch, and it squeals like a stuck pig (weird, seeing it's a wet clutch) if it's fed too much power, then grabs. Needs Barnett springs...

I know guys that can wheelie anything, so it must come down to mostly technique. But I'm lazy, and I'd rather the front comes up easily by itself when I turn the go handle to LOUD.

Firefight
21st June 2004, 16:21
That's ridiculous. Not saying that it's not true, but honestly, that's right outta the blue.

This thread should be framed. This is possibly the only instance of an internet tale actually turning out to be true. Apologies to any offence andy, but I say again - outta the blue.

In fact, I'm still in disbelief. MR, you gotta take me out for a ride and set me straight!

Maybe you should work you way up to a ride with MR, he very fast !,

I am an average rider, and I can't catch him, maybe my balls are to small, who knows, what do you consider fast?, different people have different
thoughts on what fast is. .Feel free to pm me and we can discuss speeds that you may be reqiured to achive to ride with him, in fact I am rideing tomorow if you wish to join up for a ride.

Firefight
F/F

wkid_one
21st June 2004, 16:55
P.S. I forgot to say this but I was on that ride with Andy1 when he first pulled the front wheel up so you can have my word that it is true.

Why doesn't that surprise me at all

Two Smoker
21st June 2004, 19:15
Keeping up with MR, definately need a 600........

Antallica
21st June 2004, 19:22
Keeping up with MR, definately need a 600........
I can vouch for that, and that's just from being with him once following behind on a motorway onramp!

We saw him go around the onramp, never to be seen again :o

andy1
21st June 2004, 19:50
i didnt sayu had to believe me?! but i wasnt expecting to get this much shit!!!

Celticno6 man whatz up ur ass?? and u k14??

i was just answering sndrmn question if ANYONE has wheelied a 250 i just said i had, i didnt say go out and do it, i just said i can do it! thats all.
im sorry if i affended anyone, i really am! but some of u next to check yourself before u start making remarks!

i wish i could ride with more of ya kiwibikers its really fun riding with some of u guys!! but im alittle busy at the moment hopefully one day ill be back to NZ and ill come along for another kiwibiker blast!

Celticno6 why would u want to say a thing like that?! i really dont understand how old are u 8-9??? maybe u need to grow up alittle! dont ya think!
seeu.

Zed
21st June 2004, 19:55
If you think Andy1's all shit.
You can't blame people for doubting - that's quite a feat to achieve on a 250cc.

Come ride with me on the road (that is a real challenge for anyone who wants to accpet it and I don't really care what bike you are on). I have never ever ridden anywhere close to my limits on the KB rides so what you might have seen doesn't really count.
But who does ride close to their limits on KB rides - the ones who bin it?

You have nothing to prove about your abilitites man, let your track record speak for itself...but be careful on those KB road rides because the last thing we need around here is a fatality!

MR, there are many fast riders out there, but they come and they go - how long are you going the last?
Also, I think that "dangerous fast" is not good riding. Once you can master holding back from the temptation of passing cars on blind corners, then you are becoming a good rider. :cool:

Zed

andy1
21st June 2004, 19:58
oh i nearly forgot k14 my cbr was completely standard and i was pulling 195km!!! thats noooo shit!! i was very surpised myself. i had a 954 and an r1 next to me saying 195km! maybe k14 ur little cbr got too much weight on the seat?! ;)

Nouseforaname
21st June 2004, 20:06
How do you pull 195kph on a bike that cuts out at 180Kph? im not very smart but i can smell poo gas from here.

Motoracer
21st June 2004, 20:09
I didn't intend to prove my abilities. I just wanted to show where Andy1 stood.

I would like to think that I am pretty careful when riding with KBs. Only when I go out with a select few, I open it up.

I definetly never mentioned that I am good (I am not asking people to tell me that I am by the statement either).

I don't ride by the book. There are a few things that I do which may look dodgy to some who don't ride the way we do frequently but belive me. Unless I am hopelessly delusional, I truelly belive that when riding on the road, I am leaving enough room for error for most things. I'd hate myself if I was putting blind faith on something like overtaking while going around a blind corner, risking others lives. I do make mistakes sometimes though, I can't say much about that other than, I always try to improve.

However thank you very much for your concern Zed. :)

andy1
21st June 2004, 20:12
POO GAS what the fuck is that???? :killingme
maybe i was hoping that someone could tell me how?! im not stupid i know that a 250 cuts out at 180km but for some reason it reachs 195km.

Nouseforaname
21st June 2004, 20:16
Poo Gas - Vulgar Slang intr.v. the foul stench of shit coming from one's mouth - generally my own, An often audible discharge of intestinal gas :first:

Two Smoker
21st June 2004, 20:28
Yep 195kmh is very probable if the limiter has been taken off.......

k14
21st June 2004, 20:34
oh i nearly forgot k14 my cbr was completely standard and i was pulling 195km!!! thats noooo shit!! i was very surpised myself. i had a 954 and an r1 next to me saying 195km! maybe k14 ur little cbr got too much weight on the seat?! ;)

I doubt 70kgs is too much weight.

Go and have a look on the CBR 250 forums: http://www.cr-x.org/cbr250/forum/default.asp

There are heaps of threads on there that say it is restricted to 180kph. It isn't that hard to make it go faster though. If the gearing was changed then that would make it go faster, cause the speedo is run off the front sprocket (thats if you had an RR) and the limiter also runs off the speedo. So that could be quite easily.

Forgive me doubting you doing a 180kph wheelie, it does sound very unbelievable but you do have a witness. I don't think I will be trying it myself to prove you wrong, lol.

Sensei
21st June 2004, 20:34
Well thats some great bullshit 180 klm on a CBR250 doing a wheelie ?? . Have worked on a mate's one CBR250RR . Wouldn't peel the skin of a rice fucken pudding !! Use to do 120-140 klm wheelie's on my old YZ490 with road gearing up a country road here . But 180klm on a 250cc road bike please !!Hope you didn't end your dream with a wet bed :killingme :killingme Sensei

Two Smoker
21st June 2004, 20:43
Well thats some great bullshit 180 klm on a CBR250 doing a wheelie ?? . Have worked on a mate's one CBR250RR . Wouldn't peel the skin of a rice fucken pudding !! Use to do 120-140 klm wheelie's on my old YZ490 with road gearing up a country road here . But 180klm on a 250cc road bike please !!Hope you didn't end your dream with a wet bed :killingme :killingme Sensei
You need to ride with MR i think to realise how fast Andy1 is....... then you will understand, i also know MR doesnt b/s therefore that wheelie did happen :niceone:

Firefight
21st June 2004, 20:53
You need to ride with MR i think to realise how fast Andy1 is....... then you will understand, i also know MR doesnt b/s therefore that wheelie did happen :niceone:

hey Chris, I think were wasting our time, who cares what they think/belive, :bleh:

we tried, No doubt Andys sitting over in Japan laughing his arse off, :lol: he knows he's that good, so do those who have ridden with him/follwed him, so who cares., and as for MR, I have always felt safe when I ride with him, when he passes me its always done safely, I trust him with my life.

Firefight :cool:

Two Smoker
21st June 2004, 20:55
hey Chris, I think were wasting our time, who cares what they think/belive, :bleh:

we tried, No doubt Andys sitting over in Japan laughing his arse off, :lol: he knows he's that good, so do those who have ridden with him/follwed him, so who cares., and as for MR, I have always felt safe when I ride with him, when he passes me its always done safely, I trust him with my life.

Firefight :cool:
Damn right Dave, always gives me heaps of room..... Ive got no worries with his riding :niceone:

andy1
21st June 2004, 21:03
i didnt say u had to believe me sensei!

this post has turned into a :bash: on me!
i posted on the FORUM to answer sndrm question- HAS ANYONE WHEELIED A 250. now i did, and my post was taken into peoples heads as a dream they once had when they had a 250! im sorry that u dont have the balls like me but its not my problem and i dont really care if u believe me or not. everyone has there own opinion and are allowed to say what they like but its when i get posts like sensei, k14, celticno6 and i think what stupid things to say!!

one last thing, my cbr was pulling 195km and was completely standard! another thing u dont need to believe me but why would i lie?! i am very aware that they are restricted to 180km!!!!!!!!!!

ok time for a :apint:

andy1
21st June 2004, 21:09
:killingme

sndrmn
21st June 2004, 21:42
Sup guys........first of all thanks to everyone who posted their little tricks / advice.....much appreciated.....now that I know people have and can do it I'm not wasting my time reving the shit out of my bike in the middle of nowwhere........ :killingme .....will try and take your advice on board.

u guys are prob right, am prob not doing a lot things right, shifting my weight and stuff but practice makes perfect! Just one last question........whats the best way to load up the front forks? nail it in first gear back off and then WOT?? any info appreciated..

Andy1 .......haha this post has cracked me the **** up. People have gone from disbeliving you to kissing your ass........hehe..........u prob don't care and don't blame you but its free entertainment nonetheless........

Motu.......mmm I would buy a dirt bike but I wouldn't ride it. Besides now that I know a CBR can pop wheelies I am keen as beans to get out there and try again....hopefully I don't injure myself!!!

Peace

Two Smoker
21st June 2004, 21:45
I genreally put all my weight on my wrists, then shift my weight back on the seat whilst dropping the clutch. :niceone:

Motu
21st June 2004, 22:27
Motu.......mmm I would buy a dirt bike but I wouldn't ride it. Besides now that I know a CBR can pop wheelies I am keen as beans to get out there and try again....hopefully I don't injure myself!!!

Peace

Well you could borrow one - you said you were having trouble getting a 250 street bike up...you'd have no trouble getting an XR250 of any age age up.You got a problem - you sort it out.

White trash
22nd June 2004, 07:56
There seems to be some confusion here.

People have different ideas of what a wheelie is so let's explain the difference. What Andy1 and Motoracer are describing (and I didn't realise in my earlier post) is travelling at a very high speed and the front wheel gaining altitude off the top of a crest in the road. The front wheel is off the ground so *technically* it is a wheelie.

What the disbelievers (myself included) were in debate over is the front wheel being lifted through engine power and held at a reasonable height for a decent length of time.

I think everybody here would be in agreement that a CBR250 can't perform the latter however almost any two wheeled power house with the right pilot could perform the former.

Sorry to Andy1 for my earlier remarks.

riffer
22nd June 2004, 08:07
Sorry to Andy1 for my earlier remarks.
Exactly. Well put WT. I have sent a pm to Andy1 as well stating the same.

How 'bout some photos and videos of these skills though guys!

Motu
22nd June 2004, 08:23
Yeah,I used to do that on my C50,the bike was so light I could pull the front up on any bump at speed - but it would also pop a wheelie on take off using the gearlever clutch and a few revs - riders of guttless wonders have devious tricks to look cool.

Antallica
22nd June 2004, 08:58
I'm tempted to wheelie the g/f's scooter ;)

k14
22nd June 2004, 09:01
I did a few wheelies on my old scooter. Just put down the centre stand, gun it and hold on. Scared the shit out of me first time i did it, lol. Didn't fall off though.

vifferman
22nd June 2004, 09:24
Just one last question........whats the best way to load up the front forks?
If you takeoff, then throttle back momentarily, the decelleration will transfer the weight to the front wheel, compressing the springs a bit. If you then whack open the throttle as the forks rebound, it gives you a wee bit of assistance, which is sometimes all you need. Other things you could try are whacking the throttle open as the front wheel is about to hit a bump, or dipping the clutch when you're about to go over a bump or up a rise. I used to do this on my VFR going into our garage at work, as it had a short ramp up off the road, before levelling out and going down again.
If you try this going into a driveway or over a short, sharp bump, it may not work too well, if the back wheel hits the bump before the front's very high, pushing the front back down again abruptly.

Once you've practised this a bit, and get to know how your bike handles, you should be able to move onto doing it on the flat, by bouncing the front and whacking the throttle open at the same time.

But as several people have said, the CBR's not exactly a wheelie machine, and it may be less frustrating to try it on a trail bike, as they have lower gearing, higher wider bars, and less weight on the front wheel. Also the longer fork travel means more weight transfer to get the wheelie started.

Motoracer
22nd June 2004, 10:17
Andrew bro, most of these guys are really cool so don't take it too personally. What Zed said is true, it's quite unbelivable to thoes who haven't seen it so its only natural for people tell you to piss off.

Since I am a good mate of Andy, I was sticking up for him and nothing more.

I am outta this thread, see ya! :bye:

Sensei
22nd June 2004, 10:28
Andy1 : Posted what I read .You don't say that you bumped wheelied your bike CBR250 into a wheelie. I read it that you pulled it up as with a trial bike from stand still or rolling so based my opinion on that & stand by it!! . I'll go ride with anyone here that think's he or she is fast even if they are . I'll learn from your riding if you are as fast as you or other's say you are . If not then you'll learn from me :bleh: . Na just an old rider with 33 year's of bike riding having some fun while been safe ! Don't take yourself to serious guy's it may slow you down :Pokey: Sensei

Drunken Monkey
22nd June 2004, 17:24
There seems to be some confusion here.

People have different ideas of what a wheelie is so let's explain the difference. What Andy1 and Motoracer are describing (and I didn't realise in my earlier post) is travelling at a very high speed and the front wheel gaining altitude off the top of a crest in the road. The front wheel is off the ground so *technically* it is a wheelie.

What the disbelievers (myself included) were in debate over is the front wheel being lifted through engine power and held at a reasonable height for a decent length of time.

You mean the difference between power standing and a true wheelie...There are plenty of bikes that can pop the wheel up in the air (even for a little while) - I think the trick is finding the balance point, where the wheel stays airborne indefinately, with only minor corrections required.

Deano
23rd June 2004, 17:13
How do you pull 195kph on a bike that cuts out at 180Kph? im not very smart but i can smell poo gas from here.

Quite possible the speedo was reading 195kmh, but there could have been a 10-15kmh error, between that and actual road speed, as has been mentioned on another thread. So it may have been just under the cut out ???

Are we sure Andy1's last name isn't Stroud ?

White trash
24th June 2004, 07:40
It's actually bloody easy to derestrict imported Hondas so it's very possible.

RiderInBlack
24th June 2004, 08:03
CBR250RR's have my respect:Punk: . I've riden with one that could do 200KPH (he had to to stay with the VFR750 I was riding):finger: :whocares:

The Pastor
10th October 2004, 21:42
Just load up the front forks, open the throttle up hard and pull up. its easy when you know how :) If you use the clutch you dont have to pull it all the way in, just till it starts to slip :D

jazbug5
10th October 2004, 21:48
..And did they teach you that on the Basic Skills course you did last week..?

jrandom
11th October 2004, 07:56
Just load up the front forks, open the throttle up hard and pull up. its easy when you know how :) If you use the clutch you dont have to pull it all the way in, just till it starts to slip :D

Bollocks, that only works if your bike has a certain amount of power. I spent MONTHS trying that on my bike because of silly twits like you who parrot wheelie advice for R1s.

Sorry guys, you have to dump the clutch on a full throttle. Only way to bring most 250 road bikes up.

vtec
11th October 2004, 12:04
As far as wheelies go, I've pulled like one on takeoff once, but quite often the front wheel lifts a bit off the ground when I'm thrashing it and I drop it into second.

And as for stoppies, my tyres are too crap, and it skids every time I try it... which is really dodgy cause if you don't get off the brakes fast she'll go down on you (not the good kind of 'going down on you').

Here's an awesome vid of a guy who knows how to ride his CBR250.

http://www.sanctuarynewmedia.com/streamtest/GOOSE.wmv

And here's a good thread about what can happen, and other advice.

http://www.cr-x.org/cbr250/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18781

11th October 2004, 17:06
And as for stoppies, my tyres are too crap, and it skids every time I try it... which is really dodgy cause if you don't get off the brakes fast she'll go down on you (not the good kind of 'going down on you').

Couple of things I've picked up - first, you cant be too sudden on the brakes, you gotta be hard but smooth. Second, you gotta have warm tyres... I've tried on cold on a FZR250, and no way would it work. I had to stick my boot down to stop it going over after the front locked up once

SPORK
11th October 2004, 21:07
As far as wheelies go, I've pulled like one on takeoff once, but quite often the front wheel lifts a bit off the ground when I'm thrashing it and I drop it into second.

Here's an awesome vid of a guy who knows how to ride his CBR250.

http://www.sanctuarynewmedia.com/streamtest/GOOSE.wmv

And here's a good thread about what can happen, and other advice.

http://www.cr-x.org/cbr250/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18781
That guy is too good. His wheelies are too bloody awesome for a 250 though!

I want to have his great skillz.

Anyone know how hard it would be to wheelie a GSX250250F Across?

Mr Skid
11th October 2004, 21:26
That guy is too good. His wheelies are too bloody awesome for a 250 though!

I want to have his great skillz.

Anyone know how hard it would be to wheelie a GSX250250F Across?

I thought the soundtrack was tragic.

Maybe you could fit some helium balloons in the helmet storage compartment to get the front up? :niceone:

カワサキキド
11th October 2004, 22:16
Keep an eye on the bolts holding the front of the bike together,
the tend to come loose,
with to much abuse.

Kwaka-Kid
12th October 2004, 05:13
HAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH AHAHAHAHAH

im sorry but i only just found this thread and shit me i spent the last 20mins reading thru it...

and pitty now i have to go to work :( damn, im going to re-read this again later.

TwoSeven
12th October 2004, 09:45
At the risk of probably soundin stupid.

Top speed of a cibby 250 is 220k de-restricted. The engine does it quite easily, it just runs out of puff. My theory is carbs but I haven't the expense nor the desire to mod mine to find out.

They are geared to run to 180k using standard fitment sprockets and (having tested mine against one of those radar speed signs they have on trailers) the speedo seems pretty accurate. Although I find it hard to read dials on the cibby at that speed other than to get a feel for the general direction of the needle.

Using standard gearing they will run to the speed limiter at the top end of 5th gear, 6th is just for cruising.

They will wheelie quite easily in 1st and 2nd. The wheel will skip under power (12k rpm on my machine) fairly easily and you just need to bounce it a bit to bring it up with a bit of rearward balance.

Not tried it in any gear above 2nd as I have no balance for wheelies (fall over to the right). But I know people that can lift the wheel in 3rd. It should be technically possible to bounce lift it in a higher gear, but I dont have the bottle or desire to try - so I shall leave it in the theory till seen done dept.

With a different end-can on from standard you gain back the 5bhp flat spot at 12k rpm to give about 40bhp peak power/15 ft-lbs torque. The power curve is almost dead straight - it feels like riding a fuel injected bike with a linear gear box.

I could well believe the front end can come up at the top end of the speed limit but for myself I think it would have to be an aided lift some how. The gearing/power delivery/torque doesnt allow for a power lift at those kind of speeds.

For stoppies, I have double H pads on that suck when cold, so I've not been able to do them. Most of the time I end up with the front wheel skipping, but I suspect I'm not getting the weight forwards. Dont bother trying these on this bike as it does munt the forks somewhat and I dont really want to put in new seals again.

40km/hr pootle mode rulez :)

The Pastor
12th October 2004, 09:46
..And did they teach you that on the Basic Skills course you did last week..?

nah my mate showed me on his bike :D

vtec
12th October 2004, 15:08
Couple of things I've picked up - first, you cant be too sudden on the brakes, you gotta be hard but smooth. Second, you gotta have warm tyres... I've tried on cold on a FZR250, and no way would it work. I had to stick my boot down to stop it going over after the front locked up once

Look, I could do stoppies on my RGV 250 fine. But my CBR just won't do 'em. Could have something to do with the fact that I am quite light (63kg) but mostly it's that my front tyre is probably about 10 years old. I've tried lots of techniques but I just lock up. I've had discussion on the CBR250 forum about this as well. The rubber on the side of the tyres is a bit better. As it is softer so I don't come off when cornering, but in the middle, it is hard to take heaps of long straights without wearing out. And yes I am looking forward to the day when I replace my tyres.

vtec
14th October 2004, 11:58
Cool I just did my first proper wheelie on my 250. But it was kind of cheating cause I used a slope which gradually levels off, and didn't try to hold it for too long.

vifferman
14th October 2004, 12:09
It must be possible to wheelie these power machines of yourn - I used to wheelie my gutless underpowered CB175 all the time. Mebbe you guys need to use the method a classmate of mine utilised to achieve a wheelie when his older brother was helping him to 'take off smoothly' on his bike, when riding it for the first time:

"Right - pull in the clutch lever, and snick it down into first gear."
"OK."
"Now give it some throttle.. more ... more... until that needle there is on that red bit of the tach."
"Right - now dump the clutch."

Beautiful wheelie ensued, bike ended up in fence, older brother couldn't escape physical retribution oweing to the fact he was rolling around on the ground pissing himself laughing.... :killingme

Kwaka-Kid
14th October 2004, 14:52
hahaa!
and nah dude a CB175 is way easier to wheelie then a CBR250.

i was only 11 but i used to watch my dad wheelie the XL125 (hes like 90kg!) around the place even up our driveway, and kept doing it heaps untill oneday he looped it, lucky he only ever wheelied it in 1st gear so it was slow but bike literally pinned him upside down handle bars nearly braking his ribs. lucky bugger.. anyway reason why is hte singles have a lot of torque and make their power so damn low down they are lazy so easier, a CBR you have to be keen to revv a shitload to get anywhere and let the revvs die a touc hand uve lost everything.

Quasievil
14th October 2004, 15:39

seeu.
Dont let them rattle ya mate, hey got some gloves for the rally??? scrouge scrouge??

MrMelon
15th October 2004, 16:45
Look, I could do stoppies on my RGV 250 fine. But my CBR just won't do 'em. Could have something to do with the fact that I am quite light (63kg) but mostly it's that my front tyre is probably about 10 years old. I've tried lots of techniques but I just lock up. I've had discussion on the CBR250 forum about this as well. The rubber on the side of the tyres is a bit better. As it is softer so I don't come off when cornering, but in the middle, it is hard to take heaps of long straights without wearing out. And yes I am looking forward to the day when I replace my tyres.

Why'd you downgrade from the rgv? :D

vtec
17th October 2004, 23:27
Why'd you downgrade from the rgv? :D

Several reasons for "downgrading"

1 Reliability - can't beat 4 stroke honda, and my RGV dropped a powervalve once and kept clogging up spark plugs, and the cylinder head got coked up, causing increased compression ratio and just general bad running. The RGV was just trouble, and the CBR is flawless.
2 Fuel economy - my RGV got 10k/l (which is the same as my prelude) the CBR gets 20k/l
3 Quality - the CBR has a nicer ride, better sitting position, and I'm pretty sure it handles about the same, it has electric start and the finish is just way nicer, but due to the way it is put together and being a fourstroke it is slightly harder to work on, but I get 5000k's between working on it (just the oil change).

The downside is that it is less powerful (RGV: 55hp, CBR: 45hp) and heavier. I commute probably about 40k's per day and I just wouldn't be able to trust the RGV.

The CBR is just as fun to ride, and it has a much larger power range (RGV 7000-11000; CBR 9000-19000) making it easier to use all of its power.

Plus the CBR just looks and sounds way nicer. The RGV sounded like a bloody lawnmower, at least the CBR has a bit of a throb, or an F1 scream when revving.

onearmedbandit
20th October 2004, 17:16
Okay now that its cleared up that we're talking 'cresting' the bike, yeah I'd go with that. Up until now I was under the belief you were refering to launching it on the flat, ala a power wheelie. Been there myself. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

FlyingDutchMan
21st October 2004, 15:19
I've wheelied bikes in the past, but I haven't had the inclination to abuse my cbr that much to get it up. My previous bike (GN125) was dead easy to wheelie - roll along at 10-15km/h rev it up to 6-7k and drop the clutch and up the front popped up no probs. Just had to be careful not to loop it.