PDA

View Full Version : SR18 _ primera any good motu

sAsLEX
8th September 2006, 18:01
Are the sr18 engines any good looking at a car with 175k on it and wondering if these engines are solid.

Sniper
8th September 2006, 18:13
As long as they have been well looked after they should be fine. I helped a mate take apart his SR18 with 150000kms a few weeks ago and the thing looks new inside

onearmedbandit
8th September 2006, 18:33
Numerous water pipes in the engine start to give up the ghost after 10yrs/100,000km and are a nightmare to replace. Timing chain tensioners will die as well, if the engine is rattly under start up expect to have to do this soon, not cheap either. If it's a late model one it should be ok as Nissan fixed it. Also camshaft lobes and followers wear out very quiickly if they are not serviced regulary. Lift the oil filler cap and check for signs of black death, ie sludge. A damn good engine if looked after properly however.

imdying
8th September 2006, 20:16
I'd be reluctant to pick up one with that many kms, if for no other reason than lack of oil changes clog the galleries, which poke the followers, which rape the camshafts. Gets expensive mighty quickly :no:

But if the history is solid, it may well be a o k.

Motu
8th September 2006, 21:10
Great motor,apart from the camshaft oil pipes.If you can't see clean alloy inside the filler cap better pass on it.....although there are degrees of sludge.Later ones don't have the oil feed pipes.Often heard as a squeak on cold start up,people often come in for the alt belt to be adjusted.....too late.Multi point or throttle body injection? Stay away from throttle body injection too.

The rest of the cars is a bit dodgy too - top suspension arms are a regular item,so are swivel hub bearings.....and they ride like crap too.Engine mount problems too.Bluebirds are better - same engine and mount problems,but better suspension.

What you need is the SR20 DE I have here,145,000km out of a '96 Praireeeee.I'm trying to sell it on TradeMe.I'll relist it next week....not many takers on it,I thought they'd be sort after.

Virago
9th September 2006, 11:25
..........Timing chain tensioners will die as well, if the engine is rattly under start up expect to have to do this soon, not cheap either.......

Hmmm, our '95 Bluebird SE (2 litre) does that, sounds really "clattery" for about 2 seconds from a cold start. Is that that the chain tensioner?

A great motor, done over 200k, only recently have we had to add oil between changes.

(Sorry, thread hi-jack)......

sAsLEX
9th September 2006, 11:28
Cheers guys

Cars for the partners mother so passed all this info on and they can make the D

onearmedbandit
9th September 2006, 12:09
Hmmm, our '95 Bluebird SE (2 litre) does that, sounds really "clattery" for about 2 seconds from a cold start. Is that that the chain tensioner?

A great motor, done over 200k, only recently have we had to add oil between changes.

(Sorry, thread hi-jack)......

At over 200km if it's never been replaced yeah I'd say that's where your problem lies. Not sure if they are an 'interference' engine (but I'd hazzard s guess they are) so if the chain slips on its cogs it could cause expensive damage.