PDA

View Full Version : K Band?

Marmoot
30th April 2003, 23:05
Is there any cops still using K-Band radar? If not, I think I'll just disable it. Too bothersome around fuel stations.

SPman
30th April 2003, 23:10
How so ?

What?
1st May 2003, 06:44
Apparently all the car mounted units are X band. It is rumoured that some cameras operate on K, but it is in slant perspective, so if your detector picks it up, you are already flashed.

BUT...:( It is also rumoured that the mongrels may be heading back toward K band microwave units. Their reasoning is simple - most detectors give off lots of alarms on K band from all sorts of things, therefore people are less likely to find their detectors useful, thus making their own cash cow milking machines more effective. (note that this is only rumour - take it or leave it)

Coldkiwi
1st May 2003, 17:27
ahh.. look up the 'laser sharks' thread. SPman gave me some very good websites to look at which deal very comprehensively with the k, ka and X band radars/capabilites and the lot.

They also talk about piggy tactics of waiting till they visually identify a speeding vehicle before going to radar and thus avoiding radar scatter before locking on and giving a detector  warning before its too late.

The quotas go on and the sneakiness goes up on both sides!

wkid_one
1st May 2003, 18:42
Most vehicle based (and hand held) radars are operated by the officers in Standby mode - effectively meaning you can only get a 'hit' on the radar detector in two instances

1. A direct hit on you - you are effectively F&*(ed if you are speeding

2. An indirect reflection off another vehicle being 'highlighted' by the officer.

The police are aware of the signature that having the radar on permanently gives, therefore choose to operate the machine in standby reducing the alarm signals that are given off.  This means that the chance of picking up the cop before he gets you is significantly reduced

The best option is to use a passive jammer, these are legal in NZ, where active jammers are not.  Passive Jammers result in the radar signal being distorted so that it doesn't bounce back to the unit the officer is operating - meaning they are unable to get a speed reading.  Active Jammers can actually decalibrate the officers unit which tends to make them a little shitty -hence their illegality.  Beware with jammers tho that once you are within say 100 yards, they don't work and the cop will be able to get a reading of your speed.

Plus don;t forget a cop can still do you with an 'estimated speed' infraction where they believe you are travelling in excess of the legal speed limit!

Marmoot
2nd May 2003, 18:06
From what I had, most of the radars were being left on all the time. This is probably due to instant-on mode need at least 3 seconds to lock on you and it is too bothersome especially if there is only one officer in the car.
Anyway, all of the cops I had detected was in Ka mode, so that was why I was suspecting that they don't use K band anymore.

Of course, there is no denying that detectors can't get you off the hook, it's just for more awareness. But, back to the question, has anybody ever detected a cop in K band? I mean, New Zealand Cop.

Marmoot
2nd May 2003, 23:04
P.S.
Wicked-one, are you talking about those radar-absorbing paint they use on stealth plane? :p
I'd love some of those

Coldkiwi
5th May 2003, 13:07
yeah.. Black RAM paint on an Aprilia Futura.... if that doesn't help nothing will! :)

Maybe I'll go online to a USAF surplus store, buy me an active jamming pod off an old vietnam era A-6 and strap it on the side. Provided I shielded all my equipment I could probably cook their radar, laser and doughnuts from 400m!! I think the weight penalty would be well worth it :)

bikerboy
5th May 2003, 17:48
:o One can buy active jammers on the internet, however they are illegal eveywhere as they will damage the cops radar and they are also detectable. i don't know what the penalty is here but in the US it is lose of license for a year plus a hefty fine.:eek:

Kwaka-Kid
5th May 2003, 21:38
i checked on that.. maximum penalty = 7 years in prison.. that would never happen but taht is in the law... its a breech of public saftey or somthing... ery VERY big no no

wkid_one
6th May 2003, 09:40
Actually Active Jammers aren't detectable as such - the way the cop picks it up is that it decalibrates all their gear - hence the reason they don't like them at all....the no they have been 'jammed' coz the system goes loopy.

Passive Jammers are better tho - you just mount them in your fairing......remember tho - at close distances, they are ineffective and you will still be caught.

Coldkiwi
6th May 2003, 12:46
Yes, but if your jammer is BIG enough, you can screw their gear from 1km away before they even see you and they would have no idea who caused it! (although you might need to hide it cunningly away) Maybe in a mock exhaust?

'Good afterble consternoon! yes, having two exhausts is a new quiet system for ZX-6R's, .. see, no noise at all out of this one!'

Coldkiwi
6th May 2003, 12:50
That reminds me of a story I heard from my sister while she was in the Airforce.

Gatso were out one dreary day in the UK and their radar went skitzo with a reading of some 300mph. Turns out it was a Harrier jet passing overhead. Apparently the cops thought they'd be cute and tried to ticket the pilot... who then informed them that his jammer/acquisition system onboard had picked up their radar miles back, identified it as an enemy and was all ready to unleash hell upon its sorry ass if only it had some weapons on board!:bigthumb:

(now THATS a good idea... its just a shame anti radar missles are so expensive)

:(

bikerboy
6th May 2003, 18:03
;) Kwaka, please explain how a non working radar threatens the safety of the public.

Coldkiwi, you might get a good deal on the Iraqi black market, then again perhaps a multirocket launcher would be more fun!:p

Kwaka-Kid
7th May 2003, 18:23
haha stufed if i can explain anything :P but tahts their reasoning :D

Blackbird
7th May 2003, 20:11
Passive jammers DON'T work, and you have to be darned careful with active ones too as most are a rip-off.  They're not illegal as such in NZ, but do contravene the Broadcasting Act (Maximum fine $100, if I remember correctly).  Most cops wouldn't know that, I bet.

I've only picked up Hawk units on the Ka band with my detector and presume that K is no longer used.  No idea what band cameras are on as I now use a helmet speaker and don't bother to look.  My unit picks up police cars at about 2 km at best, which is still pretty useful.  Most cops seem to leave their radars on, which is great.  I pick up cameras at between 400 and 800 metres and that's plenty.  It's getting to be an absolute "must" to have one now with all these unmarked vans about. 

Kwaka-Kid
8th May 2003, 08:05
well actually from what im told there are shit all cop cars out there these days with Hawks? they were like decommed years ago, but some suberb/city cops kept them i thought?.. all the motorways ones ive seen have that new laser2 thing, was the origonal laser thingy now its 2.. cant member name sorry :S but either way this newest one is mean kool :D and works by laser, so if u do have those sensors.. and it picks up the laser, its too late! hes already read ur speed! and then u can select on screen which car in the area u want to pickup etc.. really flash i think. Which is why i stopped considering getting a radar dect.

and are speed cameras still by radar? i thought they would be laser too by now :S

and blackbird my mate whos a cop (and has been a good 20 odd years) says that broadcasting thing isnt correct, and maxmum penalty is DEFINATLY 7 years in prisonment for Breeching Saftey of the public or somthing.. not that anyone would get it. but he did hear of one getting 3months in prison.. just for having a jammer...  and max $3000 fine he thinks.

what do u pay for ur radars?

Blackbird
8th May 2003, 20:01
I just assumed that the cops still use Hawks or the modern equivalent cos my detector picks up most cops up on the Ka band.  Must keep an eye on the detector lights to see what it triggers.  A detector should still pick up a cop lasering someone else if you're not the only thing on the road, so you still get warning.  The beam ain't that tight when it's jumping about!  Haven't knowingly picked up a laser as that's supposed to be a different warning tone than Ka.  Not sure about cameras. 

Bought my detector through the Trademe website after a fair bit of research as to which ones actually work well.  Cost $150 and I'm well pleased with it.  You don't have to be far above the limit to cop that price with one fine!