PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki KLE500

Old Grant
9th September 2006, 21:22
I am considering replacing a DRZ 400 with a bike more suited to adventure riding. Any comments on Kawasaki KLE 500

far queue
9th September 2006, 22:44
Have a look at post #9 here ... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=34706&highlight=kle+500

Oh, and welcome to the site

Old Grant
10th September 2006, 13:41
Thanks Far Queue

Ruralman
10th September 2006, 14:46
We seem to have had this discussion a few times and the same thing applies here - you need to define what you mean by adventure riding.
I have a mate with a KLE400 and it is quite happy on gravel roads and good dry tracks if taken quietly - much like a transalp but without as much power and a bit lighter.
The KLE500 is much the same and OK for this sort of use - if you want to blat up rough tracks the way you can on your DRZ then forget it. If you want to get your kicks with some serious off road stuff, even relatively dry stuff then the best choice is the big KTM's, and then the likes of the DR650etc.
I prefer to have 2 bikes.
As a gravel road/good track adventure bike the KLE 500 is good buying and especially if you're lighter and a bit shorter in the leg - I'm sure it only has a 19inch front wheel which isn't quite as good on gravel or tracks, but taken quietly they're OK

Old Grant
8th October 2006, 16:33
It's now parked in my shed. I've only done about 600k's, mostly on gravel and so far I'm quite happy with it. 21" front wheel good off the seal, comfortable seat and good torque. Good purchase price. Time will tell.

Ruralman
8th October 2006, 19:57
They look a very tidy unit for the highways and backroads, and a bit like the Transalp in being a bit limited off road because of weight etc. It would be a good mount for the Sth island Passes ride we are planing for the week beginning Feb11th - interested?
I see you are all decked out in your dirt bike helmet and boots - are you planning on changing them? I wouldn't fancy too many miles wearing the helmet.
Look forward to meeting you soon

Old Grant
8th October 2006, 20:18
Ruralman you are not wrong about the helmet. It's bloody cold and incredibly noisey.. I'm waiting for some new ones to arrive with peak and visor. Due this week. Your ride sounds good but unable to commit at this stage because of work.

Ruralman
8th October 2006, 20:34
Yes that trip may be in your busy season as well
This trip to Mt Cook sounds interesting and I'm going to see whether I can join up on and meet some new KB'rs on it. Depends on the end of year kids stuff that goes on around then but I should be able to lock the date in.http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=32446

oldrider
8th October 2006, 22:37
It's now parked in my shed. I've only done about 600k's, mostly on gravel and so far I'm quite happy with it. 21" front wheel good off the seal, comfortable seat and good torque. Good purchase price. Time will tell.

Congratulations on your new bike, Old Grant, it looks good and the price of those seems pretty good too, "enjoy".
There are just so many good bikes around these days it's just down to personal choice, good on ya. Cheers John.

PS: I see you made your point about the "21 inch" front wheel OK! :spanking: there for you Bruce.(lol) "Still" waiting for Tyres, damn it! :crybaby:

SDU
9th October 2006, 11:52
Nice bike Old Grant. I'd be interested to hear how you find it over time.
Enjoy the new toy

tassiebhoy
14th January 2007, 17:08
G,day fellas ,from the other island in the Tasman Sea,just got back into bikes after a 20 year break, me and the wife got T- boned by a Datsun driver!Anyway, had a camper touring holiday on South Island last March. It was spectacular,and I thought, just crying to be done on a bike,met a pommie couple ,who where on a hired BMW 650, and were having a ball,so got home and went looking for a bike, liked the v-strom 650, but would have had to wait for a delivery,settled on the KLE500, and pleased with it,s perfomance,it,s a good re-entry bike with adequate perfomance,never going to be a world beater, but certainly is a confidance booster, after along break, one word of warning, if rear suspension is wound down too much the bike stands very vertical, on the side stand,The Roaring Forties can play havoc with your stearing alignment! all the best for 2007

Bonez
14th January 2007, 17:46
G,day fellas ,from the other island in the Tasman Sea,just got back into bikes after a 20 year break, me and the wife got T- boned by a Datsun driver!Anyway, had a camper touring holiday on South Island last March. It was spectacular,and I thought, just crying to be done on a bike,met a pommie couple ,who where on a hired BMW 650, and were having a ball,so got home and went looking for a bike, liked the v-strom 650, but would have had to wait for a delivery,settled on the KLE500, and pleased with it,s perfomance,it,s a good re-entry bike with adequate perfomance,never going to be a world beater, but certainly is a confidance booster, after along break, one word of warning, if rear suspension is wound down too much the bike stands very vertical, on the side stand,The Roaring Forties can play havoc with your stearing alignment! all the best for 2007

Welcome to the infirmery.

10th September 2009, 10:37
has anyone toured on the KLE500 two up with luggage? Any comments? Also are there any luggage options avaliable for the 2007 model?

shards
10th September 2009, 12:16
There is no physical reason why you can't tour 2-up on any "full" size motorcycle. I did 2 weeks in Wales, with the wife on the back of my Kawa KE175 (2-stroke single). Of course, there are compromise - it's just a question of which ones you are prepared to accept. The KLE will do it - but will you?

That looks like fun
10th September 2009, 18:57
My return to riding after a long break was on a GPZ 500 (yes I know its a road bike :whocares:). Pretty much the same motor as the KLE 500.
As far as 5 hundys go it was a damn honest wee thing and could keep up with the big boys.
Only difference was I had to abuse it to do that :crazy:
All good if you can afford 2 bikes, a big un for touring and a small un for fun :woohoo: If you cant, then I suggest you do what I did. Looked at the type of riding I wanted to do, the style of rider and level of experience I had and then.............................................. .........................................

Brought the one least practical :innocent:
Its big and I love it :wari: