PDA

View Full Version : Welders/Engineers opinion?

R6_kid
9th September 2006, 21:28
Just wondering how long it would take to make an exhaust like this out of stainless steel or brushed alluminium and also the approximate cost.

imdying
9th September 2006, 22:12
A giant hero blob like that? Well, 10 minutes on the lathe... although you could just use a bolt instead...

Animal
10th September 2006, 00:50
Just wondering how long it would take to make an exhaust like this out of stainless steel or brushed alluminium and also the approximate cost.
G'day mate,
It would take me a week or two to reverse-engineer your stock pipe to get the port spacing, flange holes and mounting detail into my CAD system. Acquiring the materials is no problem at all, and one of the many precision engineering workshops I have work done at will have no trouble producing a kick-arse system for you. Personally, I'd avoid brushed aluminium because the combination of those tiny scratches, heat and Auckland's humid climate will have the system corroded to buggery in a matter of weeks. This could be minimised through anodizing, clear passivating or having a form of metallic thermal coating (ie JetHot) applied. The better choice would be stainless because of it's durability, and not requiring additional processes to make. Aesthetically, I prefer stainless but that's entirely a personal choice. I would need to borrow your exhaust system to do the CAD work, which means you'd be bikeless for a fortnight, unless I can beg / steal / borrow one down here. Off the top of my head, I don't know anyone who has an R6, but I'm sure something can be arranged. I won't go into price on this forum, but you can pm me and we can hammer out the specifics, after which I'll give you some idea of what it will cost. I've had a browse through the Graves website and it doesn't show the system in your pic. A custom job, perhaps?
Anyway, check out my other posts / threads / replies. There's always some interesting engineering project happening, and you may see something you like.
Cheers for now,
CADanimal

R6_kid
10th September 2006, 12:50
Cheers CADanimal, at the moment im just looking at getting the end pipe to save on hassles.

Are you saying you could make a complete exhaust system? I dont and probably wont have the cash (or the need) for a full system on this bike, I'm just after something loud and wanky that looks cool.

thealmightytaco
10th September 2006, 22:05
G'day mate,
It would take me a week or two to reverse-engineer your stock pipe to get the port spacing, flange holes and mounting detail into my CAD system.

A week or two? For a swept pipe and mounting? Changing cross section sure but man, that'd take me about half an hour to get it modelled in Solidoworks or Inventor, if that. Port spacing might be another trick, but surely not that long. Dunno if you'd need to model it though, you just need to show it to a skilled tradesman and he'd probably sort it.

Definately go with stainless though, ali may even melt in extreme cases. The one in the pic is stainless, though whoever welded it got it a little bit hot when he was doing it, shouldn't be that brown around the welds. OXIDISED.

Take the pic to a stainless workshop and see what they say.

98tls
10th September 2006, 22:25
G'day mate,
It would take me a week or two to reverse-engineer your stock pipe to get the port spacing, flange holes and mounting detail into my CAD system. Acquiring the materials is no problem at all, and one of the many precision engineering workshops I have work done at will have no trouble producing a kick-arse system for you. Personally, I'd avoid brushed aluminium because the combination of those tiny scratches, heat and Auckland's humid climate will have the system corroded to buggery in a matter of weeks. This could be minimised through anodizing, clear passivating or having a form of metallic thermal coating (ie JetHot) applied. The better choice would be stainless because of it's durability, and not requiring additional processes to make. Aesthetically, I prefer stainless but that's entirely a personal choice. I would need to borrow your exhaust system to do the CAD work, which means you'd be bikeless for a fortnight, unless I can beg / steal / borrow one down here. Off the top of my head, I don't know anyone who has an R6, but I'm sure something can be arranged. I won't go into price on this forum, but you can pm me and we can hammer out the specifics, after which I'll give you some idea of what it will cost. I've had a browse through the Graves website and it doesn't show the system in your pic. A custom job, perhaps?
Anyway, check out my other posts / threads / replies. There's always some interesting engineering project happening, and you may see something you like.
Cheers for now,
CADanimal i was thinking about a custom exhaust for my TLS....thinking two into one into two cans...on the same side one on top of other...hard to explain,have seen a one off on a tls..will see if i can find a pic for you...maybe you can give me an idea on cost...

TLDV8
10th September 2006, 23:22
The one in the pic is stainless, though whoever welded it got it a little bit hot when he was doing it, shouldn't be that brown around the welds. OXIDISED.

The outer marks are simply heat transfer not oxidising and have more to do with the preweld surface finish.The colours on the bead will tell you more as will the joint type which appears to be a lap (Like Yoshimura systems) and they look fine.

Any muffler shop can expand and bend the tube end as needed.A sheetmetal shop could roll a couple of cones and add them to the tube.It might be very loud on an older model R6 ?.It may run like crap also, with the reduced length.The reverse cone is fairly critical ...fwiw

98tls
10th September 2006, 23:27
Awsome pics les....what bike are those cans/system for....?

R6_kid
11th September 2006, 09:49
Cheers TL, yep its gonna be fairly loud. I've got two ideas in mind, one straight through, one slightly baffled. Will get in contact with a shop somewhere in auckland and see what they say.

marty
11th September 2006, 12:32
. The one in the pic is stainless, though whoever welded it got it a little bit hot when he was doing it, shouldn't be that brown around the welds. OXIDISED.

are you sure? it looks very like titanium to me.

Animal
11th September 2006, 13:45
A week or two? For a swept pipe and mounting? Changing cross section sure but man, that'd take me about half an hour to get it modelled in Solidoworks or Inventor, if that. Port spacing might be another trick, but surely not that long. Dunno if you'd need to model it though, you just need to show it to a skilled tradesman and he'd probably sort it.

Definately go with stainless though, ali may even melt in extreme cases. The one in the pic is stainless, though whoever welded it got it a little bit hot when he was doing it, shouldn't be that brown around the welds. OXIDISED.

Take the pic to a stainless workshop and see what they say.
G'day Almightytaco,

I've clearly astounded you, so I should clarify my reason why I estimated two weeks... I have a large number of quite diverse projects under way at any given time. The way I run my business is to assess and prioritise incoming jobs across a number of criteria. I then allocate non-contiguous time slots to the jobs, allowing me to simultaneously work on several clients' jobs at once. If I was to follow the next-in-line convention, I'd possibly get to look at R6 Kid's question in November! In his original post, R6 Kid never specified whether he requires an entire exhust system or not, but in his subsequent reply he clarified that he only needs the end. Obviously, I won't need to model up the whole system from cylinder head to noisy end. And now that I know the specifics, of course it wouldn't take me two weeks, but I don't apologise for the way I run my business, and I pride myself on making high quality products that are accurate, and fit right the first time. Perhaps you should make the pipe for him?

Animal
11th September 2006, 14:02
Cheers CADanimal, at the moment im just looking at getting the end pipe to save on hassles.

Are you saying you could make a complete exhaust system? I dont and probably wont have the cash (or the need) for a full system on this bike, I'm just after something loud and wanky that looks cool.
G'day R6 Kid,

You're most welcome.

I found the end pipe in your pic - but not in the Graves catalogue. Go to www.58cycle.com and have a look there.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

CADanimal

Animal
11th September 2006, 14:06
i was thinking about a custom exhaust for my TLS....thinking two into one into two cans...on the same side one on top of other...hard to explain,have seen a one off on a tls..will see if i can find a pic for you...maybe you can give me an idea on cost...
G'day 98TLS,

That is some awesome custom work on your bike!
You're thinking of an SV650 style two-into-one, then splitting into the over-and-under cans?

98tls
11th September 2006, 17:14
cheers...have you had a look at TLzone.net you can get some pretty awsome stuff for TLs on there and a great bunch of guys as well....a guy on there is making oversize headers which i was pretty keen on but am really liking the idea of cans on one side...although i still want the option of carrying a pillon so it may not work.attached is a pic of clear clutch cover with polished pressure plate i bought off that site...also got a TLR clutch off a guy in germany for a pretty handy price....hence the six spring clutch.

Crisis management
11th September 2006, 17:47

Custom Chambers, East tamaki? All they do is bike exhausts, and they are local.

Animal
11th September 2006, 17:48
That's way trick - and the heavier clutch can't do any harm!
I've just been crawling all over my bike with a tape measure to see how those shotgun cans could fit. I'm still toying with ideas, so I'll get back to you on that one. At this point, I think that you're unlikely to have trouble with the pillion peg, but ground clearance on hard-over leans might be an issue.