PDA

View Full Version : Double Bubbles - Worth It?

Hey,

The screen on my ZX4R is old and dirty and sun faded etc... so considering getting a new one when cash allows.

Been having a look around and have seen a few double bubble screens for it on ebay etc... Question is, has anyone here used a DB on their bike, and what sort of difference have you noticed from the stock screens?

Check out the pic in my profile, I'm a little tall for the bike so I'm hopeing the DB will push the wind up a little higher and stop hitting me head on.

Thoughts?

sAsLEX
10th September 2006, 11:39
DB have beed known to cause melting on the dash due to acting like a magnifying glass in certain lights

onearmedbandit
10th September 2006, 11:41
Increased ugliness. Decreased wind buffeting.

DB have beed known to cause melting on the dash due to acting like a magnifying glass in certain lights

Yeh I was gonna get a tinted one.

Blackbird
10th September 2006, 11:54
Certainly gives me better protection and decreased buffeting for Mrs B on the back. The downside is increased load on the wrists on a long haul. Saslex mentioned the melting instrument consoles. Blackbirds suffered badly from this when owners went for iridium D/B's but I'm not sure about clear ones. I went for a dark tint as a precautionary measure and haven't had a problem in the 18 months it's been on. Some d/B's are a poor fit with incorrectly placed holes etc. I imported a Pyramid brand on recommendation and it was perfect.

SuperDave
10th September 2006, 15:05
I purchased one of a guy on trademe - Very nice light tint and good quality screen with heaps of flex. I'm gonna be purchasing another one off him so I don't have to keep switching screens whenever I put my race fairings on for trackdays.

The only minor downside with the screens he sells is that in my screen's case there is no recessed 'lip' so to speak where the screen screws onto the fairings, the result of this that the screen doesn't line up flush with the top fairings edge but rather looks as though its sitting slightly behind the plastic fairings. But even so I personally don't think it looks bad at all and is worth $120.

Another point to note is that the bubble on these screens arn't really as high as on others. Havn't really noticed any changes compared to the stock screen, pretty much the same. But it certainly looks much better and is very nice to look through when down on the tank. My tank cam gets a brilliant shot through it too.