PDA

View Full Version : Ram Air tubes on GSXR600

SuperDave
10th September 2006, 15:16
Right, my current stock black ram air tubes have been a bit rooted since I purchased the bike. They have been plastic welded mainly on the unseen underside but there is also some welds on the top side. Duct tape is also currently covering these welds to hold it all together.

In short the tubes are just ugly.

Now I know that people would be able make a carbon fibre copy if given the current tubes to make a mould off. The problem is that the tubes arn't all smooth as a result of the plastic welds so a mould would just end up replicating these imperfections.

I was wondering if anyone else here has replaced their stock tubes with carbon fibre replacements for a 01 - 03 GSXR600?

If you have then where did you source them from?
I'm thinking along the lines that if someone has had these replaced the person they delt with might still have the orginal mould and would possibly be able to make a carbon fibre set for me.

Thanks

sAsLEX
10th September 2006, 15:46
If they used your item to make a mould the imperfections caused by the welding could be sanded/bogged out.

jade
10th September 2006, 15:57
Send me photos and explain exactly what you want to do, I'll tell you If I could make them out of carbon for you

SuperDave
10th September 2006, 16:04
Will do that now then.

SuperDave
10th September 2006, 16:19
Here are some quick photos I just took, sorry they're not the best cause the lighting the garage is pretty poor and had to use the flash.

The idea is pretty much to replicate the two tubes out of carbon fibre.

Most pics are of the left tube and you can see how its been plastic welded.
I didn't remove the right side tube because a wiring loom is already tie strapped to it and it's a bit of a mission to get the wires to sit properly in it once its taken off. Theres also a space on the top of the right tube where the fuse box sits. There are plastic welds beneath the silver duct tape too.

Would be interesting to hear wether or not a project like this could be done.
The tubes themselves work fine as is just don't look too good. I've yet to price up an new OEM ones from Suzuki, but I figured that if I could get them replaced in carbon fibre for a decent price then it'll be worth replacing them.

SuperDave
10th September 2006, 16:20
More photos.

Dafe
10th September 2006, 16:37
Looks like you need a visit to ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02-03-GSXR-600-GSXR600-750-1000-right-ram-air-duct_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35583QQihZ004QQite mZ140027235163QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05-GSXR-600-750-RIGHT-RAM-AIR-TUBE-GSXR600-BLK-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35591QQihZ002QQitem Z4648506115QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

SuperDave
10th September 2006, 16:44
Firstly, that's only the RHS one. Secondly it says ships to America only.

The tubes as they are function perfectly fine - the reason I would like to replace them with carbon fibre replacements is entirely for aesthetic reasons. The fact that I'm getting tubes without welds and cracks is just a bonus.

I only mentioned the cost of OEM new ones because it's a deciding factor in wether or not I think the carbon fibre ones would be worth the money.
For example if cjade says he can make then for say $250 and Suzuki for example sells them $100 a piece then it'll be certainly worth while going for the carbon fibre ones.

Dafe
10th September 2006, 16:53
Thanks for reminding me.

I need a LH side one. So I just brought one from ebay! Took all of 3-4 minutes to find, buy and pay for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260028710890

I would suggest you watch out for some on ebay.

R6_kid
10th September 2006, 16:56
people on ebay will ship worldwide, it pays to ask first before you go and buy it though.