PDA

View Full Version : Fairing snapped clean in two, suggestions on fixing?

zeocen
10th September 2006, 17:25
So I was half asleep and loading my bike (1990 kawa gpx 250 for visual reference) onto a ramp to put it in the van, when the front end slid off and the bottom of the fairings hit fairly hard. It seems that it snapped straight across the right side of the fairing, just above the 2 bolts that connect the top fairing to the bottom one that goes undernearth the bike (sorry for the vague description).

Is this fixable via plastic welding, and if so, are there any in the 09 region (preferably south) that can do it? It's really just the bits that are bolted onto the bottom fairing that are the parts that snapped off, so I would assume unscrewing the bolts then either making new ones to be screwed together or taking the old ones and welding them onto the original piece again?

I've got no clue, so yeah.. help? :(

Thanks in advance !

MattRSK
10th September 2006, 17:33
I did pretty much the same thing to my bike. Got it fixed at a plastic repairers. Looks like brand new. So it can be done. Im sure there is someone on here who knows someone that can do it for you.

car
10th September 2006, 18:25
Is this fixable via plastic welding

I was amazed at the plastic-weld repair job done on my ZXR top fairing, and that was in pieces. The guy that did it had serious skills. No help to you, though, I'm afraid. Good luck finding someone local.

If you fancy giving it a go yourself, I've had pleasing results using something called Splitfix, a two-part acrylic powder and liquid reagent plastic repair system. The last I bought was from Buster's here in the UK.

Less messy than glue, with strong and long lasting results. It'll be a lot easier repair that this, which I found while Googling for splitfix plastic repair:

http://www.cirp.org/library/complications/wilson1/

*wince*

car
11th September 2006, 04:36
If you fancy giving it a go yourself, I've had pleasing results using something called Splitfix, a two-part acrylic powder and liquid reagent plastic repair system. The last I bought was from Buster's here in the UK.

The kit I just found while selling the contents of my garage (three weeks 'til takeoff, woohoo!) is made by someone called Plastex:

http://plastex.home.att.net/