PDA

View Full Version : Motu completes the stable.

Motu
21st June 2004, 09:49
I finaly got my small dirt bike,an 88 TT225,but it doesn't go! Now this thing will look really sad and most beat up to you,it was scrap long ago - but this is what I do,find non runners and turn them into something I can use.I am capable of doing it and enjoy this sort of challange,taking it down to the last nut and bolt,fixing,finding,painting,welding,making,ironin g out problems.I turned around the TLR200 in a similar state in less than 2 months,but this will take much longer.Looks like I will have to go into the engine,but I would put rings and a cam chain in anyway - I was just lucky that the TLR engine was in such good shape.It's the missing bits that will cause the problems - like part of the throttle assembly is missing,I doubt if I can get just that part,things like that,frustrations to sink my teeth into and gnaw away at.

Warning - please do not attempt this sort of thing in your own home.

FROSTY
21st June 2004, 10:03
You lucky sod. Maybee my eyes deceive me but it doesnt look too bad at all
Ill look through my box of bits--Im sure ive got a throttle assembly

scumdog
21st June 2004, 11:52
Motu my man, you strike me as the type of person that could find a use for a used pop-rivet, - I meant that in a positive way

F5 Dave
21st June 2004, 17:34
Yeah until recently many of my bikes arrived in similar state. With old dirt bikes it’s almost inevitable. I had a DT200 bought with dead engine & it made a reasonable dirt bike once fixed up. The rear drum was useless so a rear disc conversion from cannibalised road bits helped no end & a friend also did the same to a TT which is similar running gear, keep it in mind if you want some ideas.

Motu
23rd June 2004, 22:09
First update in the peach turning pear shaped on the way to lemon.

Decided to have a peek at the motor as it fell on the floor yesterday - good news is that the insides are as clean as a whistle,shiny bright steel and white aluminium.Bad news is a bent inlet valve and busted guide,signs of a slight seizure on piston and bore - looks like the last thing the previous owner did was ring the shit out of it until it stopped,then kept going.What causes an inlet valve to hit the piston is a worn cam chain - wish I had of got to it sooner.I will continue dismembering it into several boxes and compile a list.

Re-cycled
14th September 2004, 09:35
Yeah, yeah, good on you Motu, way to go. That will be a more useful tool than the XLV in difficult going.

I'm currently having fun with a $100 farm bike, an 84 Suzuki DS 125. With a pro-link rear even !!

I've more than doubled its value already with cables and wheel bearings, but that's about as far as I'm expecting to go. And I don't expect it will be seen on adventure rides, it stays on the farm where my 'boy' works, and is used to haul assorted grand kids up and down the banks of the Waipawa river, and through it. Mind you, it would make a great adventure bike if I ever get too clumsy to manage the DR.

Happy spannering.

Motu
14th September 2004, 09:57
With other things happening in life the TT225 has drifted out of the priority list,but I have sourced and priced the engine parts,will have to strip the frame and make a frame parts list next.

I've got a beat up TF100 farm bike that some clown spent $800 on the engine (so he said),he had been playing with it and was a non runner - just turned the slide around in the carb and she's a little honey.It'd be a fun bike to take trail riding - but really twin shocks are almost unriderable,although funny to watch!