PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations For Shipping My Bike To Christchurch

GerryAttrick
11th September 2006, 09:06
Hi Guys,

Havea mate coming acroos from Sydney on his honeymoon and he has arranged to ship his bike across from Sydney..using a company called GET ROUTED (pretty appropriate as it now turns out).

despite booking a guranteed delivery from Sydney they now tell him he has to ship ex Bribane and get the bike there himself.

he contacted them and there response was" And he was SOOO smug about it....
> "You can have your deposit back no problems, but have you
> priced hiring a bike over there...... you have. Yep, and
> that's why you want yours shipped!! So, Brisbane it is then.":nono:

I can lend him my bike but I need to get it from Auckland to Cristchurch and back again...without it getting damaged in transit.

Any recommendations on a reliable carrier able to give me a quote. I am NOT looking for cheap but I am looking for DAMAGE FREE!!!!

Be nice to tell this mob to change their name from GET ROUTED to GET ROOTED!!! :cold:

Crisis management
11th September 2006, 09:34
I have used Bike Tranz in the past and always found them good. There are quite a few companies doing this so check out the best deal as well.
Good luck!

GerryAttrick
12th September 2006, 07:43
Hi Guys,

Havea mate coming acroos from Sydney on his honeymoon and he has arranged to ship his bike across from Sydney..using a company called GET ROUTED (pretty appropriate as it now turns out).

despite booking a guranteed delivery from Sydney they now tell him he has to ship ex Bribane and get the bike there himself.

he contacted them and there response was" And he was SOOO smug about it....
> "You can have your deposit back no problems, but have you
> priced hiring a bike over there...... you have. Yep, and
> that's why you want yours shipped!! So, Brisbane it is then.":nono:

I can lend him my bike but I need to get it from Auckland to Cristchurch and back again...without it getting damaged in transit.

Any recommendations on a reliable carrier able to give me a quote. I am NOT looking for cheap but I am looking for DAMAGE FREE!!!!

Be nice to tell this mob to change their name from GET ROUTED to GET ROOTED!!! :cold:

Looks like G/R may have had a change of heart and decided to subsidise the transport of the bike Sydney to Brisbane so I may not need to lend my bike after all. Still have asked for a quote from Bike Tranz just in case. Can always use it to ship my bike down and do a spin around the South Island.

Wolf
13th September 2006, 12:56
I suspect their name actually is "GET ROOTED" but they decided to attempt to disguise it.

Good to hear they're now offering a discounted transit to Beezbin but it's still an added expense that he has to fork out for that they had not initially mentioned.

Will be making sure that when I ship my bike overseas I'll contact Lufthansa - they're listed as being very "biker friendly": apparently you don't even need to strip it down and box it, they have provision for you to roll it on, strap it down and then roll it off at the other end...

Bend-it
14th September 2006, 16:18
Biking honeymoon... now that's cool...

JMemonic
15th October 2006, 11:20
Brisbane to NZ is Kiwi Car Carriers, the ship goes from Japan to Bris then on to Auckland then the rest of the ports in NZ.

Points to note, the bike comming from Australia will be able to use its Aus regerstration for up to one year, it will have to be MAF checked here in NZ and before leaving to return back. There are lots of issues that can trap you in bringing any vehicle in.

As for from Auckland to Christchurch well Kiwi car ship coastal, and Pacifica Shipping. Use the second option if you can cause getting a bike off the wharf in Lyttelton from the main port is more difficult than it used to be thanks to the regulations and laws, you cant just rock up and go and collect it.

Kyle
15th October 2006, 11:45
Sounds like you might not need to transport your bike now, but on the subject, Id recomend seeing a local bike dealer, in your case for the vfr800, a honda dealer. They will problery have or can get a crate which the bikes come in. If i recall right the vfr800 box doesnt require removing front wheel, just the mirrors screen and bars. Which ever company you use to send, it will be far safer bolted into one of these crates and forklifted around rather than pushed, but then again, a bike mover company would problery get it there safely aswell. If it was me, id ride it down, get there and change my mind, and ride it back again. :2thumbsup